what do you guys use for virus protection

AVG professional.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Malawarebytes. Free version is good, I have the paid version, nothing has ever got past it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I went back to Windows Defender. AVG let in a few viruses last year so I stopped using it. So far so good but we will see.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Norton 360. The Norton software packages have protected all of our company computers for over 18 years! Not a single virus, malware, or anything has ever got thru. And it has found a lot over the years!

Not free, but worth every penny.

They ARE out there.....and are looking for a way into your computer! Beware.....never go on-line without one.

bangerjim

In Remembrance

Try AVAST. Works for me.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    AVG free for virus protection and malware bytes for malware. Wife "degunks" computers for a living and her clients that run these 2 regularly never have problems.

Used to use Norton, but it is such a resource hog we switched.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Norton 360 Premier. Been using Norton a long time with no problems.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Linux operating system and have only what came with it, or not. I have had no problems with viruses since the change over. It took some time to get used to it but I love it. My wife has now made the change and she loves it too. Best part is its free.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have a NEW computer with maximum FAST ram, FAST FEB, and big SSHD (like all of ours), you will never see any slowdown with Norton. You cannot run it on WIN98 on a 10 year old PC with any speed!!!! I cannot understand why so many on here trash Norton. Just buy a good fast new computer and have done with it. And enjoy life in the uber-fast lane! Good fast computers are dirt cheap these days.

banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you have a NEW computer with maximum FAST ram, FAST FEB, and big SSHD (like all of ours), you will never see any slowdown with Norton. You cannot run it on WIN98 on a 10 year old PC with any speed!!!! I cannot understand why so many on here trash Norton. Just buy a good fast new computer and have done with it. And enjoy life in the uber-fast lane! Good fast computers are dirt cheap these days.

banger
    Good, fast computers are soon slow and incapable of fast operation with many of the antivirus programs because they are always being changed to hog all of the available resources.
    Once you pay for it, it rapidly becomes obsolete and that includes when you pay cash!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Macintosh ...nothing
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Kapersky for the few we have. Mostly use Ipads so not an issue.

Moderator Emeritus

Avast, Spybot, Comodo firewall...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Good, fast computers are soon slow and incapable of fast operation with many of the antivirus programs because they are always being changed to hog all of the available resources.
    Once you pay for it, it rapidly becomes obsolete and that includes when you pay cash!
    I disagree, my friend.

I have computers in my personal company with the latest & greatest processors, max high speed RAM, large SSHD's and they cold boot into WIN7PRO or WIN10 in 15-25 seconds. And BIG programs like the Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc, are there within 4-5 seconds, faster once they have ran and are in memory!

Norton does NOT take any speed away from a fast computer. It does from an old clunker running WIN95/98 on a 10-15 year old mother board and 1G ram with a slow meat-grinder spinning HD.

banger

Boolit Master
    Norton/Symantec Enterprise Software is good. It's the consumer versions that have been at the bottom of the reviews.

I have used ESET, Kaspersky and AVG with success. Just bought a single Kaspersky license on Amazon for $14. They wanted $37 to renew so I shopped for a new program, wound up with the same one for $14.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Bitdefender. Symantic used to be good but they sold to Norton/macafee. I've used most everything over the years, they change year to year. None are industrial strength. Who know what back doors they put in for NSA.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Avast for my somewhat new Dell lap-top. I am pleased with both performance and tech personnel. Avast is located in the Czech Republic; Avast techies speak English. Clear, easily understood English with a sense of humor. A necessary attribute to communicate with early mid-20th Century hearing impaired, crabbish American curmudgeons such as I.

Dearly Beloved's new desk-top iMac with the huge monitor has factory installed Avast. Imagine our surprise at that. She is happy. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The winds of November cometh,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Vendor Sponsor

Eset Nod32 antivirus. It runs with a rather small footprint, doesn't take over EVERYTHING like Norton does, it's quite affordable, VERY good at finding and removing installed malware, it will notify you if you browse to an infected or suspected web page, it has GREAT support (FREE and based in the US!) and they stay on top of it. 32 and 64 bit versions. Been using this for years and years.

http://www.eset.com/us/
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Eset Nod32/64 here for years have tried others, but went back to Eset, also use Outpost as the firewall, of course I am running modified O/S, tweaked per say, VMWare, Sandboxed, and machines are imaged.

-Rock