Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: powder storage

Boolit Bub

powder storage

anyone know if I can extend the storage life of powder by storing in a freezer? assuming it is air tight

Boolit Master
    Probably, but why? I am using powder, and some primers, that I bought in the 1960's. It was stored in the attic of a South Louisiana house where the temperature varied between 140 on a summer afternoon to the 20's on an exceptionally cold winter night. It is all still good.

Boolit Master
    Take reasonable care of it, and it will last a long time. I have a square can of Unique that we bought in the early '60s and it still smells good and shoots fine. It has been stored in our un-heated/cooled garages here in Texas. I have a can of Herco I bought in early '70 with price of $3.95 and it is still good too. My powder is undoubtly last longer than I will.

I would not freeze it as ice crystals may form yielding moisture and completely ruining it. Store it in a dry, cool location and like said above, it will last for decades.

If you are truly worried vacuum pack it.

Boolit Master

FlyingMonkey35 - Where did you find a UL rated explosion proof vac sealer? Good idea but.... all the powder vapors are going to get drawn through the pump. If ya try it, at least do it out side and get Mikey to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't freeze it, either, but using an old inoperative freezer is, at least I'm told, a pretty decent way to delay its burning if you ever have a house fire. I'm considering getting one for myself, now. Old freezers can be picked up for very little at most junk yards. Just don't get one where the lid locks. That wouild put the powder under pressure and smokeless just burns quickly and hot without pressure, but let it get some pressure against it, and its rate of burn speeds up so quickly that it could wind up being at least a mild explosive. Get one with the magnetic closing top. Add some wood around the outside and it should resist burning about as well as anything you can find without spending a mint. Haven't tried this or seen it done, but good sources have recommended it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    FlyingMonkey35 - Where did you find a UL rated explosion proof vac sealer? Good idea but.... all the powder vapors are going to get drawn through the pump. If ya try it, at least do it out side and get Mikey to do it.
    the real question is what kind f powder are you sealing up? Holy black smokeles? Is it loose powder or in a container etc..
    I am not sure you would draw enough powder vapors out of that small pump to make me worried. "I don't seal my powder". But I have seen lots of people seal up loaded ammo that way.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Keep it in its original container, store it cool as possible, dry environment. I also store it in a black cabinet.( yeah I know, weird huh?) but it lasts almost indefinitely. A1939 can of Bullseye was still good, so must be doing something right! Just my two cents.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a couple of lbs of Blue Dot, Unique and H110(i think) at my hunting camp that are 20yrs old or so. -40 in the winter and 85-90 in the summer. I load a few round whenever I get home and it goes bang like it should. I wouldn't worry about freezing it or anything just keep it dry.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Freezing your powder will not hurt it. I have loaded powders which were stored in unheated metal shed for up to five years with no apparent damage. Temperatures ranged from high 90s in the summer to sub-freezing in the winter.
    There was a member here (now deceased) from Louisiana who stored his powder in a working freezer in order to keep the humidity out. If I recall, when he planned on filling cases he would take the powder out and let it sit unopened for two hours. If he opened it cold, the condensation would have ruined it.
    Assuming your powder is dry when you freeze it, in theory it might extend the shelf life by maintaining a constant temperature. In fact, I read somewhere that at least one of the powder manufacturers keeps a 1940s-era sample submerged in a watertight container for stability. They use small amounts as a control when testing new batches of that type powder for consistency.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Old freezers and refrigerators make good storage cabinets for powder and primers. One for each. Just don't turn them on or better yet take out the compressor and just leave power to the light. I t goes off when the door is closed and lights up when you are pawing through it for the right powder!

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    . In fact, I read somewhere that at least one of the powder manufacturers keeps a 1940s-era sample submerged in a watertight container for stability. They use small amounts as a control when testing new batches of that type powder for consistency.
    An employee of a powder company told me the same thing; they stored their reference powder submerged.

Boolit Buddy

I don't think I've ever had a problem with any powder that was stored incorrectly. I started out keeping it in the top of the closet. Now it stays in a room in my barn, no heat or air so its weathered upper 90s to single digits. Cleaned, sized and primed brass has performed flawlessly stored the same way. If anyone as had problems I'd be very interested to know it so I can rethink my practoces

Probably not necessary, but I vacuum seal my primers to make sure moisture isn't an issue. I'm sure an open box would probably outlast me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	159399

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    In the military we usually used a shop vac and sometimes an air compressor to seal muntions in barrier bags.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool, dry and consistent has served me well. I had Hercules Bullseye and Unique that was 40+ years old when I finished it off.
    If I had more, I'm sure it would still be good.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez farmerjim and some others are Just Plain Lucky.
    DON'T store powder/primers/ammo in yer attic or garage! Is TOO HOT and HUMID!

BUT - ball powder probably will do a lot better than extruded powder
    since its manufacturing process gets residual acidity waaay down....