MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some one needs to make these!!!!! Please I'm in for a 30cal and a 223.

Boolit Grand Master

You can swage them just as fast on the Dillon w/out the springs. I fling them into a bin like in the video by working it manually. In my case it's faster than the video. It is more physical work but you have more control of the machine. It's the flinging them part that speeds up the process.

Boolit Master

Lee still makes the hammer style decappers.

http://www.titanreloading.com/index...._name=decapper

I don't trust a hammer for swaging the crimp out. I'm good with the RCBS swager that works in a reloading press. The Dillon look pretty nice too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vendor Sponsor

No need for anyone to make anything for this Lee already makes a simple punch and base that will set you back $10 and you can use a countersink mounted in a cordless drill to remove the crimp from the Primer Pocket.

It takes more time to pick up and drop the case than it takes to actually cut the crimp from a case. I can do 20+ per minute. So can anyone else.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    to me it depends on the quantity of brass to be processed, if it's a lot or if you think it will increase significantly in the future, suck it up and buy a dillon swager. bought mine when they first came out, think it was $65 or so and that was expensive then but was well worth it. does a good job and is pretty fast. my suggestion is after swaging the primer pocket (especially bottleneck rifle calibers) use a flash hole uniform/deburring tool. most if not all flash holes are punched and swaging flattens the burr (sometimes a pretty sizeable burr) on the inside and sometimes covers a lot of the flash hole. it involves an extra step but you only have to do it once. if we are going to all this trouble to make ammo, let's make it the best we can. just trying to help....

Just bought the Dillon swager with some overtime money. Purchased the RCBS bench mounted swaging tool about four years ago. I have swaged a lot of .223, 9 mm WCC, and S & B brass with it. Works great at pocket swaging and is easy to set up, but the Dillon tool has more mechanical advantage with the longer handle and an in-line pull as opposed to the RCBS.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    I'm a machinist. Trust me if there was any profit in it someone would be making them.

Motor

Boolit Master

For a deprimer, I like the Harvey Deprimer. It is handheld and requires no shell holder or press. It is plenty strong to use on crimped primers. It is much more than the Lee stuff though.

http://harveydeprimer.com/

Boolit Master
    I use my old Pacific dies to deprime crimped in primers without any problems. And then use the RCBS primer pocket swage kit on my RCBS AmmoMaster which has LOTS of mechanical advantage. Bought it just the other day from Midway for less than $25. Works way better than the way I used to do it with a hand turned Hornady reamer!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    For depriming large lots of brass.........Lee decapping die. A simple and sturdy die that does the job quickly. Yes, it adds an additional step but it saves the pins in my regular dies. I DID manage to break a decapping pin once, which surprised me. Five bucks later I had a replacement and a spare that I have yet to use.

Primer pockets........I used the RCBS for many years but found that it doesn't quite resize the pocket completely at time for reasons I can't determine. I finally broke down and bought the Dillon and the RCBS now sits in a drawer, unloved. The Dillon works well with no real effort.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Dillon is a primer pocket swager - NOT a deprimer
    Sorry meant the RCBS pocket swagger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Use the universal decapper to remove primer then

use the primer pocket swage w/ Dillon Super Swage 600
    A cat would work better then the lid. You could even Velcro it in place.

Boolit Master
    I have not really had issues getting crimped primers OUT. The Lee depriming die is pretty handy, the pins are pretty cheap if you break one, but they generally push up thru the collet vs breaking. Theres stuff I make where I don't want to size, just deprime. And I modified a pin for the undersized flash holes in some once fired 357 SIG I got.

Been a while since I swagged any primer pockets, bought the RCBS tool, works great. But have piles of brass for my 223 bolt gun, and plenty of already swagged 5.56 if I feel like loading any. But a nice tool to have. I have been finding more and more crimped primers in pistol and rifle ammo, maybe for military, or just crimping everything.

Boolit Bub
    Waiting to hear back from RCBS...the swaging tool base is too small in diameter to fit my Lee Classic cast press ram, which is 1,125" dia. Yes I'm sure I can backwards engineer one, but giving them (RCBS) a chance to see if they can make it right

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! You guy's just like spending money? I've used a lot of military case's over the past 40+ yrs and never needed any special tool to eliminate the crimp. The appropriate sizing die takes out the primer, and I've never broke a depriming pin. Out of the press and a quick twist with my RCBS de-burr tool and it's done. In fact one time I couldn't find my de-burr tool and a pocket knife worked, slower but it worked.

Boolit Master

There is a Wilson 30-06 punch and base set GI decapper listed on the big bay right now for $10.00
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 01-20-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I started de priming with a Lee 45 acp de prime/sizer die [I was using a LEE universal depriming die, but kept breaking the pins] It Works really well [.40.380.45.9mm.223/556] Haven't busted the pin yet. I can also turn down all the longer broken rods to fit the 45 die.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    True a standard deprimer will remove a crimped primer but I ended up breaking three pins on a the last batch of 223's from the range. I just ordered the RCBS pocket swage but would have bought one of these that does both and not having to worry about breaking pins.
    The Lee Decapper & Base , its a steel base with a steel rod and pin that you hammer the primer out with, this is not a die , just a steel base and rod, #90103 for 22 caliber and #90102 for 30 caliber, looks like 1/2 of the vintage tool, guaranteed unbreakable and no pin slippage . It doesn't have a built in crimp remover but it looks like a neat deprimer for crimped cases.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

No offense to the OP, but this seems to be a much ado about nuttin' thread. He found a way to deprime and reform military brass. Thanks for that. My methods are much easier and faster than the tool(s) shown (and being a lifelong machinist/mechanic I don't pay much attention to someone who uses a claw hammer on tooling/punches, etc. .). Most of the following posts are "I use a..." posts and there are many ways to remove crimps from military crimped primer pockets. That's jes my thoughts and thanks again for showing the tools...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Where there is a will there is a way.

1:30 to deprime and swage a case is a little slow in my world though.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the Dillon. I've lost count of all the 223/308 military brass I've done with mine in the last fifteen years...