RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Brass .410 shells

Reloading Brass .410 shells

So I've been gone for a while but I am happy to say I'm back.

One of the things I've been having a lot of fun with is converting .303 into .410 shots shells, but I've run into an issue: after 3-4 reloads the case has swelled so much that it is almost too tight to fit into the chamber and makes it very hard to cycle in my old bolt action shotgun.

Do you masters of the reloading word have any suggestions about resizing the brass shotgun shells?

Boolit Master
    well best was is a Lyman super sizer. next is to trash the 303 and use 444 cases. I have used them for 10 or more times and they don't expand

I looked for .444 brass but came up really short in my area. .303 I've gotten from $2/20, $3/20& $15/20 (the $15/20 was at first before I really started shopping it around) so the .303 won by default because I could find and afford it.

Boolit Master
    45 Colt sizing die with no "guts" in it?? I will check if that might work when I get home.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    My brass 410 formed from 9.3x74r got tight after about 6 reloads. A bit of measuring showed it was only the case mouth and about 1/4" of case that was the problem.
    Base diameter of 30/06 & 308 family of cartridges is very close to mouth diameter of a 410. I ran mine 1/2" into a 308 die and it solved the problem.

Boolit Master

I've used Mag-Tec all brass shell in both 410 & 20. When they need resized, I use the Lee shotgun loader. The old hammer style.

Welcome back to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

.410 Lee loaders run $60-100 now that they are out of production. I'm really amazed that more people don't reload this caliber more; as expensive the ammo is to buy compared to the cost of reloading to me it's a no brainer.

Does anyone here have experience with RCBS custom die shop? How much did it cost was it worth it for you need? I'm thinking just a sizing die not a full set.

Try CH

Boolit Master
    IIRC I have been using one of the old 45acp sizer dies. The one that just sized and the primer punch was in the second die. It's an RCBS I think 1968 version. Or you could just get a 444 sizer die.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Try CH
    What is CH?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDave View Post
    What is CH?
    They're a tool and die company founded by a guy by the name of Charles Heckman. I believe it's actually CH4D.

http://www.ch4d.com/

Top drawer stuff.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/ca...ber&filter=410 Sorry it took me so long to get back with you.

http://lane371.dotster.com/index.html Lane reloading makes some Reloading Hand tools that might work for you. They have a 410 resizing die for brass shells USD 15.00

I've looked at the Lane Tool and that looks like my best option.

Have any of you guys used any of these tools?

The fella I talked to at rcbs also suggested 4D but yeah wow you really pay top dollar for top shelf.

Rcbs said they could make one for me but that it'd be in the $200-$250 range for a single die (shut down a production machine retool cut the die shut it down again and set it back up for standard production again). But that if I wanted 50-100 it would be more reasonable. To me this sounds like a problem for the sales guys but I understand where they are coming from.

It just blows my mind that with how common and popular the Judge, Governor, various derringer Style Pistols are and the cost of .410 especially buckshot that more people don't have more interest in going this route.

I think that there is a lot of interest but no manufacture has picked up on it besides lane.

Boolit Master

I've had good luck using a Lee carbide 45 ACP die drilled out on top so you can size any length shell. Works with CBC shells and blown out 9.3x74R shells. I've also found that Winchester 410 plastic shot cups fit well in the CBC shells and converted 9.3x74R shells. I bet they would be a good fit in converted 303 British shells too! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    I think that there is a lot of interest but no manufacture has picked up on it besides lane.
    Maybe we should start letting our voices be heard. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    I've had good luck using a Lee carbide 45 ACP die drilled out on top so you can size any length shell. Works with CBC shells and blown out 9.3x74R shells. I've also found that Winchester 410 plastic shot cups fit well in the CBC shells and converted 9.3x74R shells. I bet they would be a good fit in converted 303 British shells too! Tim
    Thanks for the input

Boolit Master
    Cut the top off or drill out the top of a 45acp die or use a very old RCBS die or if you are using 444Marlin brass just get a 444 sizer die. There's no reason to have something special made. You are only going to need the one die and you won't need it very often, maybe once every ten loadings using 444brass.