Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping mounted items

Swapping mounted items

My reloading bench is not as large as I would like it to be. Anybody have that issue? To those who swap mounted items (press, bullet sizer, powder dispenser etc...) how do you remount your items?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I have my LnL AP permanently mounted and use the ROCKdock for other presses, lube sizer and trimmer. Rugged and easy to use, no bolts or screws to fool with after installed.

http://www.patmarlins.com/product/ro...docking-mount/

I have plates drilled and tapped with various bolt patterns that have a common bolt pattern that mounts to the bench or studded plates that bolt down to a specific pattern.

If you look close you can see them at every position except where the Different SD's mount on the end. Having threaded holes in the bench makes it a one tool job.

I really like my Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount with the Quick Change plate system. I have a small workbench in the middle of my reloading room that is my work table. I have installed 1/4-20 threaded inserts into the top of the bench to allow me to pop my Ultra Mount on and off in just a minute or two. That way I can preserve the whole bench top when I have bigger projects and need the extra room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench Mount.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	157503

Dan at Inline makes insert plates for just about all of the major presses and tools. In the photo above, I have one of my Star lubrisizers mounted to the Ultra Mount with a quick change plate.

Here is a close up of the quick change plate with an RCBS Summit press mounted to it.

Name:	Summit Press.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	157504

The lip at the rear slips into the plate mounted to the Ultra Mount and two wing nuts at the front secure the quick change plate to the mount.

Here are a few items mounted to the quick change plates for an idea of the versatility. I have a Dillon Super Swage, an RCBS bench prime, RCBS Lubrisizer and another Star in the photo.

Name:	Swager RCBS LEM Star Bench Prime.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	157505

I like this system so much that I bought a second unit and mounted it to one of the Frankford Arsenal portable benches and keep it in my office downstairs. Surprisingly, this little folding table is a pretty sturdy little setup. I push size PC coated bullets on it most of the time. Here is a photo of the setup with a Lee Classic Cast press mounted to it.

Name:	Classic Cast.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	157506

The beauty of this system is that you can pop the whole thing off your bench in just a minute, and can swap from tool to tool even quicker. It is really nice to be able to get the press out of the way when you need the bench space to work on a rifle or clean guns.

Harold

Boolit Master
    jmorris and hporter have the right idea. I toyed with toggle or cam mounts a while ago, replacing my mount bolts with them for a quick-release but it would only be practical if every item had the same bolt pattern.
    When I first started reloading I didn't have a proper bench. Bought an old coffee table, mounted everything on steel plates and clamped them down with C-clamps. It worked ok but wasn't stable because I could only clamp two sides of any item.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

JSnover,

My workbench in the photo was my second bench. You can see many holes drilled in the top where I slid my Dillon 650 and 550's around trying to get a workable arrangement. After much trial and error, I gave up and just bought a longer workbench and mounted all of them side by side in a similar arrangement to what jmorris depicted in his photo.

And thank you jmorris, for making me feel so much better about my Dillon addiction...

Boolit Master
    I'm admiring the setup and layout in both posts, as I'm in the process of designing a new bench right now.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I'm using lees quick change bench system

Boolit Master
    I have my equipment mounted on 2X8's and C-clamp them to the bench or kitchen counter as needed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I have my equipment mounted on 2X8's and C-clamp them to the bench or kitchen counter as needed
    Same as I do. during nice weather mount on bench in garage. During poor weather, I move inside.

Boolit Master

I mount a 36" piece of angle iron to the front edge of my bench. attach it with 4, 3/8" bolts.
    Then drill and tap various sized holes in the top at appropriate places for various tools.

Takes about one minute to remove one press and replace it with another.
    Last edited by williamwaco; 01-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Great ideas. Now it's time to get to the drawing board.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post

I c-clamp all my stuff to the bench too. I'm transitioning over to having everything mounted to metal though. Either aluminum or steel. Drill and tap to mount the equipment then c-clamp to bench. You can put it wherever you want it and it's as solid as whatever you clamp it to.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    I use two methods:
    1. Mount the press to the bench top using the mounting holes and largest bolts that will fit the holes. Use flat washers under the nuts. To change the press remove it and mount the next press with the largest bolts that will fit the press mounting holes and flat waters under the nuts. (Use as many of the previously drilled holes in the bench as possible.) When you have mounted all of the available presses they can be un-bolted and a different press mounted quickly.
    2. Mount each press on a piece of 2X6 as long as the workbench is wide. Clamp the 2X6 to the workbench with 3 ea. C clamps (one at the back side of the workbench and one on each side of the press at the front of the workbench).
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

I have a Lee Classic turret and an old Spartan bolted to my bench. Just found a Coax that I mounted to a piece of box tubing, with a car rotor disc resting on the floor(scrap of carpet on bottom) and a flat iron that gets clamped to the table edge. It brings the press up several inches, which makes it easier to use. I have a Lee C-press set up the same way for bullet seating. This allows me to utilize all my presses on a very small table, and still do all my sizing/forming with the old Spartan. I'll see if I can get a good picture to post.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a variety of presses and tools, some on Lee changeable mounts, the rest on PatMarlin Docks.
    If I were doing it over, they would all be on Pat's Rock Docks.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee mounting system. Titan Reloading $23. Comes with the metal mount and 1 steel slide-in and 1 wooden one. I cut a half-dozen extra slide-ins from 3/4 scrap plywood and have 4 lubesizers, 1 Lee Classic Turret, an old Spartan single stage, a Lee Pro1000 and a small vise mounted on the slide-ins. I drilled a hole thru the metal mount so the primers drop straight thru into a tube for the Pro1000. Replaced the phillips screws in the mount with allen heads and just leave an allen bit screwdriver in one of the screws so I don't lose it. Simple, easy, economical and rock solid. Space always being at a premium my reloading bench is an older solid wood desk. You know, the kind with 3 drawers on left/right side and a pull drawer in the middle. The space under the middle (where a chair would slide in) is a storage shelf 3 tiers high on casters. Glued&screwed plywood under the top makes the top of the desk 3 inches thick. Nothing moves. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    how do you remount your items?
    I only have room for one mounted tool at a time, so my press and sizer are mounted to 2x4 or 2x6 stock with slots cut into the edges to fit around vice jaws, and then I just clamp the wooden mounts in a machine vice. quick, easy, cheap and works fine

I have my presses, vise, etc., mounted to 12 sq. pcs of 3/4" thk., cabinet grade plywood. I have holes drilled in each corner to match hole patterns drilled in two locations on my bench. It takes about 5 minutes to remove and mount another plate with the appropriate tool attached. I don't change them out often. Never have moved the single stage loader since I first mounted it. Currently I have the Pacific single stage mounted, and the Lyman resizer, and I have my Dad's old vise -C- clamped at the end. I just move things around as needed.

Boolit Master
    I have not built my permanent bench for my man cave yet. I am using a table I built for heavy shop work for my loading instead.

As such, I am using the 2x6" trick on some of my tools I want to clamp down for the time being. Some presses are on steel mounts I built ......... all of these clamp down with C-clamps.

But in the event I build my bench, I am leaning towards a clamp system as yet not conceived by me for the front of the press and using Uni-strut mounted in the middle of bench running parrallel to the front edge of the bench (set into and just below the work surface) for clamping the far edge of the mount down.

Sometimes, I think about installing two runs of uni-strut, a front one and a rear one parrallel and eliminate the need for C-clamps or some other method of grabbing the front edge of the bench or table all together.

The C-clamp system has worked fine but I just like the idea of the uni-strut to eliminate flexing even more.

Not an idea I came up by any means ............. but rather one garnered right here on Boolits!

Best regards

Three 44s