Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to try the Felix lube

Boolit Bub
    Got some made tonight it looks like a nice lube seems soft and tacky both which is what I was wanting. I believe I used stearic acid rather than soap, and I put a little carnuaba car wax in there for good measure.

Banned

fresh. I just take a bar and start shaving it with a razor knife and throw it right in. Never tried drying it. I guess I never saw a need.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lloyd,
    I'm curious, do you use it "fresh", or do you allow it to age and dry out a bit?
    I ask because, because there are those that find the need to dry it out some and claim that if used "fresh", there is a lot most moisture to "cook off" making for a longer cook time. Because I have found that melting/blending "fresh" shaved Ivory, that the cooking off of moisture seems to aid in the melting of the soap, maybe even speeding up the process. When I tried it with soap that was aged and dried out a bit, it seemed that the last few bits of soap took a long time to finally dissolve, but I noticed that it's easier to shave finely when it's dry as opposed to fresh.

I also have been thinking of the bubbles. I'm wondering if they slow the process and am considering experimenting on my next batch and use an isopropyl spray to knock down the bubbles.

Banned

+1 Lloyd.

Gear