Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a good 44 mag lever action rifle?

I think Rossi's should be viewed through the same lens as a Lee mould; you get what you pay for, and that's coming from a Rossi owner. I went through my '92 Rossi .357 and it's now slick enough for CAS. I haven't done tons of load development, but found a 170 gr. jacketed HP running 1700 fps was way more than accurate enough for deer to 100 yds.

Regarding octagon barrels, I don't really have anything against them, but they add quite a bit of weight to a rifle. Not a problem if you just shoot it at the range or sit in a deer stand, but I love traipsing pastures and bottoms with a short, handy rifle. That's why I bought the above pictured Uberti.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I am fortunate enough to own 2 .44 lever guns. The first one I got was the little Marlin 94 "guide" carbine with a 16" ported barrel. It's a great carry in the wood rifle. There is only thing I would like to do is to replace the 1-38 twist barrel with a 1-20 one. That would let me get better accuracy with heavy cast and loose those annoying ports. The other one is a Miroku made 92 Winchester/Browning. It's action is like butter and it locks up like a bank vault. It has spoiled me so that I will have to save big money to get a new lever gun that measures up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I have a Ruger 77/44 with a 1:20" twist. It's quite worthless. Why? Because boolits bigger than 240gr SWC won't chamber or fit in the mag! So in the end, a 1:38" twist would be more appropriate.
    Your comment is really really really uneducated and backward. (no offense. Just stating the truth).
    1-38 twist will not stabilize the lightest bullets past about 75 yards. 1-18 is the correct twist for all occasions in that caliber. 1-20 is suitable for the light weight bullets and 1-16 would be truly excellent for long heavy bullets.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1894 24" octagon barrel in 44 Magnum. It is a bit fussy about what it will shoot. The basic 240 gr factory loads shoot very well and so do equivalent handloads. For boolits, you need about .433 or so. I just tried some 200 gr RNFPs at 1325 fps and was very pleased with the accuracy. After 100 shots, there was no leading in the Ballard type rifling.

Today, I would go with the Henry. The Big Boy Steel looks about right. It has a lighter round barrel and is about 7 lbs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Your comment is really really really uneducated and backward. (no offense. Just stating the truth).
    1-38 twist will not stabilize the lightest bullets past about 75 yards.
    Shows what you know , I've taken more then one Marlin 336-44 and shot very nice groups with cast bullets up to 300 grains at 100 yards with no yaw . Also shot some 325's in one of the guns at 100 yards and I will admit they were starting to yaw but accuracy was within 2" so I wouldn't have been afraid to shoot deer with them inside 100 yards . And of course a highly uhm intelligent person like yourself knows the Marlin 336-44 had the 1-38 twist . And to further enlighten you Ranchdog used a Marlin 336-44 1-38 gun to work up his beginning 44 MAG loads with his 265 and 300 grain loads .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 12-27-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I will second the 96/44 if you can find one. I love mine. IIRC the largest boolit I could get to cycle was a 300 gr.

Boolit Mold
    I've owned a Winchester 94ae trapper and a Marlin 1894. I still have the Marlin. I like the 1894 action better than the Winchester. The Marlin is simple to take down for cleaning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aHFo3 View Post
    I've owned a Winchester 94ae trapper and a Marlin 1894. I still have the Marlin. I like the 1894 action better than the Winchester. The Marlin is simple to take down for cleaning.
    aHFo3--I agree, to a point! The Marlin 1894 is much easier to take down than the Winnies. However, in my experience with 2/ea Marlin 1894's in .44mag, my Winnie 94AE Trapper and my Winnie 20"AE, both in .44 mag, outshot the Marlins accuracy wise by a wide margin, so I sold the Marlins! The Winnies are also not so finickey in type of boolit ie swc and OAL as my Marlins were.
    By no means am I a Marlin basher, as I have a couple of 336's in .30-30 and 1/ea .444 Marlin XLR with a 1:20" twist, and I love them all, and they all shoot great. The problem with Marlin 1894's in .44mag IMHO, is that the twist rate at 1:38" is not the best twist for a .44 round. Some guys have got them to shoot "OK" with super fat boolits, but I don't believe any of them have achieved the accuracy that I have out of my Winchester 1894AE's in .44 mag.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

I would love to see groups at 100 with a 300 gr or over from a marlin .44. Not going to happen. Minute of a 4'x4' board.
    The problem with the Ruger was the magazine but single shot did well with heavy boolits. I did not know twist rates. Seems to be 1 in 20".

Boolit Master
    Any thoughts on the 1978 Browning repro of the Win 92? I shot mine a lot up into the 80s but really don't remember details about how it shot or what I was using. I know it was cast and from 22 backstop lead and 240is gr, but that's about all. This thread has me wound up about digging it out and doing some shooting! I don't have any heavy .430 molds, 220 to 265 gr. I have an NOE 230 gr RF that I use in my 696, thinking that may be useful as I think the 92 has a 1 in 38 , but not really sure. Have not pulled the trigger on that little rifle in over 20 years,,, gotta fix that!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    i own a old marlin, a winchester trapper and a henry big boy. they all shoot good with cast and jacketed up to 310gr. i personly would not buy the newer marlin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I would love to see groups at 100 with a 300 gr or over from a marlin .44. Not going to happen.
    Wow I must have had two MIRACLE rifles then !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines