Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Molds for 38/357

Boolit Master

The Lee tumble lube 158gr SWC isn't a very exciting looking bullet but I have yet to find a .38 or .357 revolver or carbine that doesn't shoot them well. I've done the various tumble lube options and found they all work, I've used Klass Kote epoxy and a few powder coatings and they all worked, and I've done all of the above both sized to .358" and shot as dropped and they worked. I will always wish it had a longer or more existent front driving band and the edges were a little sharper but what the hey it works. And they drop just fine from that six cavity mold.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master
    The old rcbs 150 kt swc mold I found in ruff shape cleaned up nice and is a pleasure to cast and shoot . For target and plinking it simply worked for me.

Boolit Master
    H&G #51, the original .357 Magnum 160-grain SWC plainbase bullet. Works very well in the .38 Special, too.

Boolit Mold
    I like Lyman's 358429 for .38 Special and the RCBS 38-150 for .38 and .357.

Boolit Bub
    Current load preferences are the 358477 PB, 358156 GC (for .357 loads) and warming up to 35891.
    I recall the 477 & 156 feeding through my rossi '92 w/o issue.

Boolit Master

All nice choices but my preferences are:
    Lyman 358432 - target
    Lyman 358311 - Cowboy/plinking
    Lyman 358156GC - 357 Mag and 38 +P
    Last edited by avogunner; 11-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Banned
    The 150-160grain SWC is an outstanding all-around bullet for the 38/357 and in my opinion, there's no need to go any farther. You can drop the bullet weight down a bit to save a little lead but at the cost of more complicated logistics. I'd rather have one good all-around design. I shoot a lot guns with fixed sights and prefer to keep the weights around 158grs. There's a lot to be said for consistency and simplicity of logistics.
    To that end, I would recommend the RCBS 38-150 K or it near clone the Lyman 358477. The RCBS is a fine mold but they only come in two cavity (which may not be a bad thing). The Lyman can be had in 2 cavity or 4 cavity.

If you can find a good H&G mold (or the modern equivalent) of the same profile, that would be a good option as well.

Some posters have suggested a RF profile and that is certainly another option. I tend to lean towards SWC's and Keith designs but that is not holy writ.

Some people feel that round nose bullets are the most accurate profile in a revolver but if that is the case, the improved accuracy is very slight in my experience. The round nose is very speedloader friendly but the SWC and RF designs also work with speedloaders. The round nose is probably the worst profile in terms of terminal performance so if you're doing anything beyond ringing steel and punching holes in paper, the SWC and RF designs become far better compromises.