Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Powder Attacking Powder Coated Bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    That's a very light charge of Bullseye
    Yup it is
    but its one of the classic Bullseye loads for NRA pistol competition

Boolit Mold
    Any updates yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Any updates yet?
    Yes, I checked again after 58 days and the update is here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Any updates yet?
    Yes I checked mine today. They have been in the gun powder since September 2015 as posted earlier in this thread. Still no change. All is well.

On December 20th I added 4 more test bottles. So far there no reaction with any of them.

Here is the list of gun powders I am currently testing and the dates that they were started.

1) Unique (12-20-15)
    2) Blue Dot (12-20-15)
    3) Trail Boss (12-20-15)
    4) Tite Group (12-20-15)
    5) Lil Gun (9-15-15)
    6) Bullseye (9-17-15)
    7) 2400 (9-16-15)

So far I have not seen any reason to be concerned and the bullet that is in the Bullseye has not changed in any way since I first posted here.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 01-09-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Master

So, I read this thread from the beginning, and the "Yes, I checked again after 58 days and the update is here." thread. What I do not yet see if any definitive results from the powder and bullet coating interaction. Is there really a problem here? And, yes. I have powder hoppers that have been eaten up by some powders, most notably Unique.

Boolit Master
    I don't mean to offend you in any way but it is starting to look like your problem is your powder coating.

I'm using HF red and as reported above I am not getting any negative reaction.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    So, I read this thread from the beginning, and the "Yes, I checked again after 58 days and the update is here." thread. What I do not yet see if any definitive results from the powder and bullet coating interaction. Is there really a problem here? And, yes. I have powder hoppers that have been eaten up by some powders, most notably Unique.
    My bullets are completely surrounded by the gun powder in prescription bottles. All I need to do is pick a bottle up and shake it around to see that there is no gun powder sticking to any of the bullets.

As stated above, when I did see powder sticking to the bullet I removed the bullet from the bottle only to find that the gun powder is simply sticking from static and brushes off without leaving any marks on the powder coating.

Again, this is Harbor Freight Red. Applied with the shake and bake method.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 01-10-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use Prismatic Powders and as stated in an earlier post I dumped several colors of PC bullets into a jar of mixed powder containing some of just about every powder I have used over the last 30+ years and that is a lot of different powders. I put the bullets & mixed powder into a jar on 10/31/15 and opened them today 01/09/16. I just dumped into the pan as gave a little shake to expose the bullets for a photo. I see no powder adhering to any of my bullets. So for me this is a non-issue.
    Attachment 157703

I don't think there is going to be a really bad consequence of using high nitroglycerin double based powders with PC bullets for most people. I have gone to making it a practice to store my loaded cartridges bullet side up, but I also tend to shoot all my loaded ammo within a month and rarely keep a large stockpile of loaded ammo. My stockpile consists mostly of components ready to load. If the powder loses its potency over the span of several years, I wouldn't know whether it would continue, flatten out or whether it would affect the powder at all. Personally I don't care because this stuff is mostly range fodder anyhow. It's just something I thought of during a rainy weekend where I had nothing better to do.

Next update in a few more months. What the heck, the bullets and powder are already committed, the cost outlay was less than $0.50 and the bullets can eventually be loaded and shot or melted down for reuse.

Boolit Master
    I totally agree. Keep it going. I will leave my test samples too indefinitely.

I have plenty of bottles and can make more with other gun powder(s) too.

The 7 samples I have now cover all of the powders that I have loaded with.

I do have ammo that will sit for months until my boys and I plan a range trip and that ammo is a light charge of Bullseye in a 7.62x54R. Regardless of the "no reaction" I have gotten so far, that ammo is currently stored boolits up.

Motor

Boolit Master
    For those that worry about long term storage; Being a "Baby Boomer" I was an active teenager in in 60's and we had access to all kinds of military surplus including guns and ammunition. We purchased or traded for thousands of rounds of military ammo made in the US, Germany, Great Britain and elsewhere. Most of this WWII ammo was dated between 1942 and 1945 and sold for $3 a hundred back then, but on occasion we got some really cheap stuff left over from WWI dated 1917,1918. All the stuff made in the 40's (20+ years old then) fired just like new. Most of the WWI (45+ years old) also shot, but had more duds due to inactive primer.
    I took some of the stashed British 303 and US 30/06 (70+ years old now) to the range last year and it shot like new. My point is the ammo you load now will probably still be good long after most of us are gone. I believe in having a good supply of ammunition on hand for every gun I own.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Yes I checked mine today. They have been in the gun powder since September 2015 as posted earlier in this thread. Still no change. All is well.

On December 20th I added 4 more test bottles. So far there no reaction with any of them.

Here is the list of gun powders I am currently testing and the dates that they were started.

1) Unique (12-20-15)
    2) Blue Dot (12-20-15)
    3) Trail Boss (12-20-15)
    4) Tite Group (12-20-15)
    5) Lil Gun (9-15-15)
    6) Bullseye (9-17-15)
    7) 2400 (9-16-15)

So far I have not seen any reason to be concerned and the bullet that is in the Bullseye has not changed in any way since I first posted here.

Motor
    Update. March 4th 2016 Still no effect on all 7 samples listed above.

Motor

Good to know this... All my rifle bullets that I powder coat are GC design so I wasnt worried about those. My pistol ones are PB but I have been shooting them shortly after powder coating. Its good to know that I can store them a long time without adverse affects.

Boolit Master

1) Unique (12-20-15)
    2) Blue Dot (12-20-15)
    3) Trail Boss (12-20-15)
    4) Tite Group (12-20-15)
    5) Lil Gun (9-15-15)
    6) Bullseye (9-17-15)
    7) 2400 (9-16-15)

Motor
    Update: July 31 2016

I Just checked all of my test bottles listed above. There has NOT been any reaction yet.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Motor, I have had the same results with many different colors of bullets placed in a bin of mixed powder when this issue first came up. My mixed powder jug is made up of many many different powder clean ups over the last 40 years. I agree with you this is a non-issue.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for conducting this test and sharing the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If this ain't a sticky...it oughta be! Many thanks to you all...dang...ain't this forum sumpin?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Thank you Derek...I read & bookmarked them both, there's another thread on the follow up mentioned too.
    This oughta be a stickey!
    I certainly feel a lot better now...well, except for the point of the mixture of the powder and the PC in an enclosed container...touching is one thing but they're gasses in there too, so...possibly that could have an effect on the powder that is not in contact w/PC. My fear is that it would degrade the coating that restricts the burn rate and end up with some very hot rounds at high pressures.

I'm with Dragonheart...I ain't gonna worry about it...although...I chrono each batch of new recipes of different loads and the results get printed on the labels on their boxes. These were made and tested in the summer so I'll wait till the warmth of summer again and pull some of these old stored rounds out and re-chrono them to see if there is a difference.

Remind me about June or so if you think about it and I'll get it done.

Thanks again for the trouble you went to on my behalf...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Thank you Derek...I read & bookmarked them both, there's another thread on the follow up mentioned too.
    This oughta be a stickey!
    I certainly feel a lot better now...well, except for the point of the mixture of the powder and the PC in an enclosed container...touching is one thing but they're gasses in there too, so...possibly that could have an effect on the powder that is not in contact w/PC. My fear is that it would degrade the coating that restricts the burn rate and end up with some very hot rounds at high pressures.

I'm with Dragonheart...I ain't gonna worry about it...although...I chrono each batch of new recipes of different loads and the results get printed on the labels on their boxes. These were made and tested in the summer so I'll wait till the warmth of summer again and pull some of these old stored rounds out and re-chrono them to see if there is a difference.

Remind me about June or so if you think about it and I'll get it done.

Thanks again for the trouble you went to on my behalf...charlie
    Yeah I read through this as well, did some 'independent' testing of my own and haven't noticed anything different between my first loaded rounds, or the more current one. I'm not going to worry about it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

1) Unique (12-20-15)
    2) Blue Dot (12-20-15)
    3) Trail Boss (12-20-15)
    4) Tite Group (12-20-15)
    5) Lil Gun (9-15-15)
    6) Bullseye (9-17-15)
    7) 2400 (9-16-15)

Motor
    Update: Checked all of the samples today February,25 2017. Still no change. None of the gun powder(s) are having any effect on the powder coating.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 02-26-2017 at 12:23 AM.