MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Burnside Nylon Cases ?

Boolit Grand Master

Burnside Nylon Cases ?

Greetings
    I noticed Lodgewood now stocks a Nylon Burnside case. Any one use these and can comment on the longevity and usage of these Nylon types ? Brass cases are near $5 each and the Nylon are .75 (cents) each.
    I am not getting involved in skirmishing so I will not be shooting these hundreds of times. Thank you for any help you can pass on.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    I noticed Lodgewood now stocks a Nylon Burnside case. Any one use these and can comment on the longevity and usage of these Nylon types ? Brass cases are near $5 each and the Nylon are .75 (cents) each.
    I am not getting involved in skirmishing so I will not be shooting these hundreds of times. Thank you for any help you can pass on.
    Mike in Peru
    Wow! This is the first I have heard of such a case.
    Brass is $5 each.
    OK - so what caliber is this we are talking about that brass is that expensive and nylon can be use to create a usable case substitution? Are we (nah ) talking BPCR cases? Something else?

Thank for posting - I'm interested in what this turns out to be.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Whoops! Burnsides. I got so worked up about the nylon case I jumped right over the first sentence. Sorry - I'll look them up.

Here is the link
    http://www.lodgewood.com/Burnside-Ny...e-_p_1618.html
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Well, at that price it would be worth it to get a couple to try.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Boolit Master
    Mike,

I have and shoot a fifth model Burnside. I use the brass cases and have for several decades. They hold up well and so far, have not split or otherwise destructed. Expensive? Maybe, but they last. I have used the same 25 cases since I got them.

I have never tried the nylon ones. I would imagine they are thicker than the brass ones so hold less powder. Not a lot fits in the brass ones so I don't want to give up any space.

Planning on hunting with your Burnside? I have used it on groundhogs but here in Ohio, it is not a muzzleloader and does not qualify for the rifle status either.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Strawhat
    Yes I will hunt with it. Ground hogs will be the practice. Hope to call a coydog in close enough to pop it with a RB. Mine is a early 5th model under 6000. Been looking to add some cartridges and saw the Nylons. At 75 cents they do look tempting.
    For hunting I am thinking to cut one of the nylons off about half way to use it like the Dixie collar. Then there would be ample space for powder. For hunting do not need a fast reload of the initial "full powder" shot. But a couple quick follow ups should finish things.
    One feller wrote he had used the older plastics which did burn out at the tip. Maybe the nylon are tougher. My order 10 and give 2 and endurance test.
    Have you tried 3 F ? Thinking on that also.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Master
    Mike,

I use 3 F for the charge and a round ball, I do not recall the diameter. It makes for a very accurate load. I also have some conicals I want to use but not yet had the chance.

I have used the collar but have gotten away from it. It leaves the chamber very dirty and that is not an easy area to clean. Fortunately, the breechblock is removable and is easily taken apart. Still, easier with cartridges.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you Strawhat !
    I completely forgot about fouling up the chamber. I think I will order up 5 brass and 10 Nylons. If the nylon are much thicker put a little bit of the fine particles (4f) up under the ball to keep velocity the same... Have to crono it all... maybe it is only a couple grains.
    I am thinking a 40-1 .565 was what fit in the chamber... But I may be confusing the Burnside with the Sharps. I find the older I get things run together . Good thing it is all wrote down back in storage.
    Again thank you ! Good to read your key jabbings.
    Mike in Peru