Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your favorite quiet 22 ammo? (OR, what's the quietest that is relatively accurate?)

CCI CB longs. 29 gain and about 700 FPS, if that pesky crow could talk about that fateful day, he would say "Oh No!" I use the super colibri for plinking (well not much anymore as they really went up in price). I too can plink with the CBs but at about .08 each these days, not much.

Lapua Subsonic HP is my favorite. Constant accuracy, subsonic and a Hollow Point. As far as I know only RWS has a subsonic HP that is in the same league. Many other can deliver pretty good accuracy, but in most high quality .22LR rifles the Lapua stuff is just amazing.

Btw. Lapua is made in the same factory as SK. So there might be also a cheaper "SK Subsonic HP" available.

Boolit Master
    Hate to be a spoiler here, but I've had good luck with the remington subsonic hollow points, accurate enough for pests and they are way more effective than you would think--but I haven't seen any on the shelf for 3-4 years. The PMC moderator is a good one too if you can find it.

About 15 yrs ago now, there was this Stellars jay that would perch in the alders outside my bedroom window and sound off way too early in the AM, usually just at dawn, way before sunup, which up here north of the 45th parallel, is early indeed. This guy managed to elude my ID-ing him (there are lots of them around here) for 3-4 years.

Then one day I was out on my deck punching paper at 50 with my latest 22, one of the CZ trainers with the 26" pipe, when a blue-jay lit atop the ridge pole of an A-frame I had set up for my beans to climb. He started giving me aitch-ee double ell and I immediately recognized his irritating voice. This is about 35 yds downrange and 10 yds to the right of where I was set up. I was shooting the rem. subsonic hp's so I just centered him up and Plik-PLOP it darn near blew his wings off--he puffed up and shed feathers so that there was a cloud of down where he was perched and floating down and away on the slight l-to-r breeze.

Man that felt good, and I never got any more crack of dawn butt-chewings afterwards.

Twenty five years ago I lived in a neighborhood overrun with squirrels. I'm okay with that but these boogers would get into the attic no matter what we did. Pruning became a necessity. I have a nearly 55 year old Remington model 514 single shot that had already taken oodles of squirrels over the years on hunting trips. I had a few boxes of CCI cb shorts. They chronographed well over 800fps and sounded no louder than an air rifle, from the 22" rifle barrel. From a revolver they sounded like a cap pistol. I mowed down the squirrels in my front & back yard with no notice from my neighbors. Never tested them for accuracy but they were spot on for those squirrels.

Back in the 1960s & 70s I would shoot these German brand cbs that had a case shorter than the CCIs. They were great and accurate. I also bought plenty of BB caps. These had no powder just a thick layer of prime material in the bottom of the case. Often the little lead BBs would separate from the case while in the tin that they came in. They were absolutely noiseless and the only sound was the click of the falling firing pin. I actually preferred these and used them to wipe out as many starlings as I could. I wish they were still available.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

I have used a lot of CB shorts but buy longs now because they are pretty much the same except feed better from a few of my .22's.

lately I have been using the Remington CBee round. 6 for 6 one shot kills on armadillos tearing up the irrigated part of my yard.

This is the last one with the clean up crew.

Banned

rws subsonic hps. They shoot tiny little groups out of my gun. Are one of the quietest out of my suppressor and still kill small game very well. They also run in all my semi auto pistols and rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I feed the target rifles a diet of SV. SK+ or CCI SV, and for matches the 40X gets Lapua Midas+. Latest addition to *MY* stable( the 40X is my son's ) is an 1813 Super Match Anschutz. It is also fond of the SK+. Going to try it with the 42 gr Winchester sub-sonic for general use( occasional squirrel safari and target practice). I suspect for Match work it will get fed the good Lapua. Nice to see both rifles working best with the same ammo...

The critical factor is accuracy. One single shot is nearly impossible to get direction from.

If I need quieter than that, the Benjamin Marauder in either .22 or .25 gets called into service. The .25 spits 34 gr King Heavies at 960 and is very effective on squirrels and other pests like racoons.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Banned

i like colibri's for indoor aiming/trigger practice at 7 to 10 yards, but cci standards are my faves and just bought a bunch online.

Boolit Buddy
    I love "CB" type rounds. The CCI quiet is a nice round, very reliable and pretty accurate. The Remington CBee seems to do better on critters due to the bullet shape but my only problem with them is reliability. About 10% misfire.

Banned

just got 2 bricks of cci "quiet 22" rounds - nice! while there's a good "snap!" to the report, i found no need for ear protection. one hole accurate at least to 11 yards, got to take it to the indoor range and see how it does at 25.

Boolit Mold
    I love the CCI 40 grain Quiet round. I use them in my CZ452 lux. They have considerable drop, but the Cz's rear sight adjusts quickly. I've found them to be accurate and super quiet. I had the sight adjusted to 175 and was consistently ringing an 8" gong at 100 yards. The gong is louder than the quiet report.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I like CCI CB shorts from a pump 22 with a scope.
    I use many 22 rifles for variety, but for backyard work, always CB ammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17.5 lb male coon CCI CB short Rem 572 6-5-2013.jpg   Eastern Gray squirel head shot CCI CB short 6-15-2013.jpg   Rat 9-6-2013.jpg