Thread: Chronograph Reccomendations

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Yeah, try not to shoot the Chrony.
    And make sure any gas checks stay on until they've cleared the chronograph

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    And make sure any gas checks stay on until they've cleared the chronograph
    *So far*, I've only hit the support bars for the diffuser on my chrony and it didn't take much to bend it back into shape. I don't use it that much though, so it hasn't been "in the line of fire" all that often. If I was using it more often, I would probably consider some sort of angled heavy steel plate in front of the electronics, but that would mean that I would need to walk out to the chrony each time to read the display.

Boolit Grand Master

Find a piece of 1/2" clear lexan for the shield you should be able to see thru it and it will stop most bullets and even better at an angle.

I haven't shoot mine yet, but I did a bunch of testing using b/p loads. Some had fiber wads, others had felt wads. The amount of damage a .010 or .020 fiber wad can do at 15 feet is unbelievable. Half way through testing I broke one of my screens, so I started using white poster board laid across the top of my upright supports. On more than one occasion I had a fiber wad leave a 6 inch plus gash in my poster board. Also I've had several large chunks of lube get slung out of the lube grooves, those seem to do a pretty good bit of damage too.

Boolit Grand Master

My Chrony Beta dates from when PC didn't mean Personal Computer (or Politically Correct) but it has served me well. I'll buy a more modern version when the need arises.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I went ahead and ordered the Magnetospeed V3. The comments about lube and gas checks pretty much decided it.

Give us an update on how it works. I'm planning on getting one next year.

Boolit Master
    My friend Ken Oehler has informed me that a limited run of 35P's are in production.

Still the best, imho...

Boolit Man
    Chrony will exchange damage units at a reduced price. It is also possible to buy outright a unit that replaces the old one sans bullet holes. I know this the hard way. The real demon in the mix is using the unit for handguns. The first Chrony was won in a rifle club raffle. I have not used my Oehler 35 since. This reminds me to get the 35 out for handgun loads. Otherwise, this activity get costly.

Banned
    I've always heard there are two classes of people that own chronographs : those that have shot their chronograph and those that are going to shoot their chronograph.

Boolit Master
    I just received a shipping conformation with tracking number that my Lab Radar will be delivered this Friday.

Guess what have planned for Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    Caldwell - hook up to my iPhone easy.
    What I have and works great with the iPhone. Initial setup is a b(*^_(^ if you don't RTFM! Once I did, worked great. Will pick up a steel BB at 400 fps. Max I shot was 2400 fps. I liked the ability to NOT have to lug a PC to the range. Phone and cable. Can export CSV files to Excel. tripod is not much, but hey, can get a sturdier one for ~$25 or less if needed.

Boolit Master

I started out with Oehler when the screens were mylar and you had to change for each shot. You also had to convert your actual time reading to velocity. I did some beta testing for him on sky screens before he came out with them. A great company to do business with. I have had a 35P since they came out and it's been trouble free except for a minor glitch when my next door neighbor (a business) installed an alarm system which caused it to get phantom shots. Called Oehler about it and sent it in to them. I don't know what they changed but it came back no charge and no problems since. They are excellent machines and if you do get forgetful and shoot low all you get are the screens, chrono and printer are on the bench with you.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I just received a shipping conformation with tracking number that my Lab Radar will be delivered this Friday.

Guess what have planned for Saturday.
    We are all watching this space for your review
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The Lab-Radar arrived today and I am charging the rechargeable battery pack now. I have read the instruction manual and I am taking it to the range tomorrow.

I just put together a Remington 40X chambered in 22Lr. into a HS Precision stock and mounted a BSA scope that was made special for Midway. The scope is a 4-14X-44mm Mil-Mil first focal plane scope with side focus that focuses down to under 10 meters. At 25 yards where I have it zeroed with Norma TAC-22 ammo, I have shot a five shot group into one hole that measured .300" outside to outside. I want to measure the actual muzzle velocity and the actual drop in Mils at 50, 75, 100, 200, and 300 yards in order to determine the BC of the bullet.

I have enough elevation to make it to 300 yards and was shooting it at 300 yards last Tuesday at clay birds, but I am going to use an actual paper target to determine the drop.

The target never lies!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    My friend Ken Oehler has informed me that a limited run of 35P's are in production.

Still the best, imho...
    10-4 on that.
    I started with an Oehler model 33 in 1982. Not only was it good but there was little to compare with it at that time. And yup - it was $300 in 1982 dollars.
    Some years later I got the 35P.
    They are both used often to this day.
    I have no experience with the others because I am more into shooting firearms that comparing chronographs, tho I am sure there are some others out there that are fine as well.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    CED M2, I started with an old one I don't even remember the brand, changed to the CED millinum, and when it became outdated because it would not talk with today's newer and faster computers, My wife got me a Chrony from Midway. I promptly sent that back and went with a CED M2. Unbelievable amount of storage space on it and it will "Talk" with today's newer computers.

Boolit Buddy

The Magnetospeed v3 is a fine piece of art. I have had one a few months and absolutely LOVE it! It is so accurate sometimes I think it is making up values. I regularly have SD of <10fps with my 308 precision rifle where I was seeing SD of 20-30fps with the same loads and the shooting crony.

I shoot at a range that allows chrony's, but only gives you 4 minutes for setting up targets/chrony between live fire (every 30 minutes the range goes hot). I absolutely love the magnetospeed v3.

Side note: I originally ordered the sporter and was absolutely furious with how cheap it felt for the $200 price tag. I would strongly recommend getting the v3 over the sporter since it is compatible with everything (muzzleloader, suppressor, pistol, etc.) while the sporter is pretty much only good for a rifle without a bull barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post

Still the best, imho...
    +1!

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    The Lab-Radar arrived today and I am charging the rechargeable battery pack now. I have read the instruction manual and I am taking it to the range tomorrow.
    How do you keep a shooter in suspense - Don't follow up with your thread
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."