Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Pros & cons of the forster co-ax primer seater

In Remembrance

Pros & cons of the forster co-ax primer seater

Looking at the Forster primer seater. Do you have one? Would you recommend buying one?
    Last edited by Sagebrush7; 10-10-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I have been using it since around 1960.

I love it

It does not use shell holders.
    You do not need a primer flipper to load the tube.
    It has the best "feel" of the primer seating in the pocket of any method I have ever tried.

Cons.
    The primer tube will not hold a whole box.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I had one that I got as part of a package deal that included a scale and a press.
    I had about about a half dozen other priming tools so I could try them all at the same time.
    I still use the original Lee priming tools with the screw in shell holders and a RCBS bench top - the single primer model that uses a standard shell holder.

The Forster tool offered nothing in the way of advantages. I did not like the small capacity priming tubes
    So I sold it, I also sold 2 of the Lee Auto Primes and a Lee Ergo model.
    The K&M (most expensive tool that I own) did not impress me either and I plan to sell it some day.
    EDG

I like my co-ax press but I sold my Forster primer seater and bought an RCBS Bench Priming tool for those times when I don't use the primer seater built into the press.
    You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I have been using it since around 1960.

I love it

It does not use shell holders.
    You do not need a primer flipper to load the tube.
    It has the best "feel" of the primer seating in the pocket of any method I have ever tried.

Cons.
    The primer tube will not hold a whole box.
    My words also. One of these days, I will find some suitable material to make longer tubes but it is really not a big deal.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    I bought a new one after using an RCBS benchtop. Wrong decision. The Forster constantly dropped primers sideways (you cannot see it happening) so they got seated sideways. Never had a bang but was a terrible PITA to clear up messes. Sold it, called Forster and complained and darn if they did not talk me into buying another from them, at a discount price. I still have it but will never use it, the RCBS is far, far the better unit.

Ken

Unhappy

"The Forster constantly dropped primers sideways (you cannot see it happening) so they got seated sideways. Never had a bang but was a terrible PITA to clear up messes." ...Pressman

My experience as well, Ken.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    ...The Forster constantly dropped primers sideways (you cannot see it happening) so they got seated sideways...snip... I still have it but will never use it, the RCBS is far, far the better unit.

Ken
    The only primer I've ever put in sideways was the first one through the Forster.
    I figured out that you have to be gentle inserting and removing the brass and don't jiggle the unit, as the primer is just sitting there on its edge. It doesn't take much to wiggle the primer sideways. Hasn't happened to me since, but I've only put ~500 primers through it so far.
    The jaws are more fiddly than just snapping in a shellholder, but it's no real hardship.
    The 'feel' is very nice, and it really is a nice machine to use.
    The primer tube/channel isn't real fun to load. I've chiselled the corner out of an RCBS primer flipper to make it a bit easier, it helps.

I also have the RCBS bench mount. It's also really nice.
    It needs to be bolted down, and the handle needs to stick way out over the edge of the bench.
    I don't have a lot of room in front of my bench, so working around that handle is a bit of a pain.
    I think priming goes faster, and maybe a bit easier with the RCBS.

Mount the RCBS unit on a board, then use a c clamp to secure the board when you are using the unit. Then it can be removed and put on a shelf when not in use.

Banned

I put my RCBS Automatic Priming tool on an Inline Fabrication Quick Mount Plate and use on my Ultra Mount. Very nice set up.

I did the same thing JMort. Just put the board idea out there for others.

Boolit Grand Master

Used both but I really like the RCBS http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457...h-priming-tool

I had the same issues with the Forster primer seater as posted above. Sold mine.

If you want to be the coolest kid on the block you want a Holland's Perfect Primer Seater https://hollandguns.com/

https://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/...primer-seater/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Good deal. Less than $80 and a rebate available.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    So that's what that thing is! A primer seater. I have had one of those things in a box-o-junk for years and never knew what it was. Looks kinda klugey to me. That uber-soft aluminum rod bends and kinks when you even look at it.

........later on..........

I messed with it after reading this and looking it up on line. What a PITA to load primers in that silly little tube. And getting those case end guides adjusted is almost impossible. And primers fall out of it like crazy.

I will stick with my Lee hand primers. I can dump 100 primers in a single action and they all feed 100% every time. Shell holders are spot on for hole alignment.

And leave that thing in the box-o-junk.

I have the capability of priming on several presses, bench tools and hand tools - my favorite is still the original Lee hand primer (round reservoir) but one of the reasons I keep the Forster is you don't need a shell holder same the Co-Ax press - so I can reload for an odd ball without having to buy a lot of stuff for it - especially if I'm just going to try and load a couple of boxes.

Last edited by Artful; 10-13-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I new to reloading so I prime on the CoAx press itself. You guys are probably like a hare compared to this tortoise but it's one less piece of equipment to fiddle with for me. I really like the priming aspect of the press and am comfortable that it is seated to the proper depth.