RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: .44 special and red dot

Boolit Bub

.44 special and red dot

Working up some .44 spec loads for my 7.5" SBH. Looking for some published red-dot loads but am unable to find them in my cookbooks (Lyman Cast, Lee, Hornady).

Shooting an Arsenal mold 255gr SWC.

Any suggestions as to sources for my desired load? I've seen references here to the combo (RD and .44) but want to double check in one of the books.

You say these loads are for your Ruger Super Blackhawk?

Are you actually using 44 Special brass, or are you looking for 44 Special level loads in 44 mag brass?

I suppose you could start with the Lyman data for 44 Russian, which is listed as the same exact loads as the Bullseye: 3.2 - 3.6 grains.

Extrapolating, you can look at the 44 special data with bullseye at 4.2 - 4.6/4.7

Boolit Grand Master
    From Speer 14, With their swaged 240 SWC, in R-P 44 Special cases, 4.5-grns yields 658 fps while a peak load of 5.0 gives 750 from a 5.5 inch Cimarron SAA. I have shot many 429-421's over 5.0 grains with complete satisfaction and outstanding accuracy. In fact, IIRC, prior to the above Data being published, I shot a fair few using 5.5 grains of RED DOT, using the load info from Lyman's 2nd Cast Bullet Manual. Red Dot is something of a sleeper in this cartridge, not widely used, but generally extremely accurate.

I use 4.5 grains under an NOE 432-230 grn WC that shoots very well out to 50 yards or so.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Castpics has older manuals available for download. The Alliant manual for 2001 has the data you want in it for boolits up to 246 grains.

Banned

ive shot many thousand 240-250s with 5 grains. Pretty much mirrors the 7.5 grain of unique load

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all around.

Was planning on using .44 special brass (have more of these sitting empty than .44 mag). Yes, for my Super Blackhawk.

Doug, I'm slightly confused—are you suggesting look at the Lyman load for RD in .44 Russian and increasing it by the same ratio as bullseye in russian to special?

Off top castpics I go.