MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: wet rotary tumbler

Boolit Master

wet rotary tumbler

thinking of buying a Frankford arsenal tumbler

my question is, anyone of you cleaned their brass without the pins and if so what where your result

specially primer pocket and inside case

would be puting water citric acid and soap

thank you

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    good but I want to use only water citric acid and soap…… no pins or ceramic media

Without pins, only the cases will rub on each other while tumbling. So, the outside of the cases should clean nicely. However, the primer pockets and case insides may not clean as well given given the lack of abrasion on those areas.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    Without pins, only the cases will rub on each other while tumbling. So, the outside of the cases should clean nicely. However, the primer pockets and case insides may not clean as well given given the lack of abrasion on those areas.
    this has been my experience as well. And it takes longer to get them clean

Boolit Master
    Why don't you want to use the pins?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    Why don't you want to use the pins?
    they are a real pain to separate it goes fairly well with a separator but I alway feel their is one somewhere inside a case and imagine what it would do if I shoot a loaded round in my rifle with a pin inside
    and I believe in Murphy law

I know you are going to say inspect them one by one but its time consuming with volume case cleaning….

I use my rotary tumbler media separator. Fill with cases. Put it in the bucket just as if I am separating media. Fill the bucket with water, soap, citric acid. The rotary cage with the cases is half submerged in water.
    I spin the cage for 5 or 10 minutes, and the cases are beautiful. But not the inside or the primer pockets.

I think this is better than a wet tumbler, because the dirt falls out of the cases into the water bucket, instead of being rotated in with the brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    I use my rotary tumbler media separator. Fill with cases. Put it in the bucket just as if I am separating media. Fill the bucket with water, soap, citric acid. The rotary cage with the cases is half submerged in water.
    I spin the cage for 5 or 10 minutes, and the cases are beautiful. But not the inside or the primer pockets.

I think this is better than a wet tumbler, because the dirt falls out of the cases into the water bucket, instead of being rotated in with the brass.
    interesting
    just have to hook it up to a small motor

To try to tumble without pin's is like owning a sport's car with a dodge neon engine

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    they are a real pain to separate it goes fairly well with a separator but I alway feel their is one somewhere inside a case and imagine what it would do if I shoot a loaded round in my rifle with a pin inside
    and I believe in Murphy law

I know you are going to say inspect them one by one but its time consuming with volume case cleaning….
    If you use a 0.047" diameter pin, or larger, you won't have any pins stuck in flash holes. Only the smaller 0.041" diameter pins tend to do that, and so I don't use that size.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

I use the FA media separator with citric acid and dish washer soap. I I turn it slowly for 25 turns then let it set 10 minutes.
    It gets then really clean (but not polished!) Pour them out on a plastic garbage bag in the sun to dry.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I stopped using Pins completely not because of Poor cleaning, But do to the Peening effect. Excessive Pin use on the same Brass causes Micro size dents In the brass. . From use The dents cause an Orange shin effect. The dents are not Noticeable @ first. but get worse as you clean and clean again
    I just Use soap and water . . The primer Pocket come somewhat clean but went back using my Primer brush.
    I have a Hi speed machine. The peening would be visible after 5 -6 cleaning
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Man
    I've noticed the same thing as salpal, I'm getting peening even though I'm using copper pins.
    It isn't horrible, but it is noticeable.
    I have since changed the 'agitators' in my drum, so hopefully the action will be a bit less aggressive.
    I hope to take it for a test drive this evening.

One side effect I've noticed with citric acid and copper pins, it gets things really clean.
    I lube case mouths by dipping into a film cannister filled with shot and graphite, but after wet cleaning, the graphite doesn't stick to the brass. Almost like it is getting things too clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    I've just started using citric acid powder and hot water in a plastic shoebox. I deprime the brass first, then into the citric acid bath. Both primer pockets and inside of the case clean up well. I agitate by shaking the box a few times. Brass comes out after 15 minutes, rinsed in clean water, and set out to dry. I had considered pins; but not any longer.

Boolit Master
    after reading this thread I think I will try the separator and citric acid
    putting the case in the separator and filing the bucket underneath with water and citric acid and soap and turning it for a while than letting soak than turn again
    I like the idea that all the crud falls to the bottom….