RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sad day... Broke the handle of my Old Lyman 45

Boolit Man

Sad day... Broke the handle of my Old Lyman 45

I really liked the Old 45 too. Drilled the base for a cartridge heater running on 12V as I also use 12V LED's on my Presses so it fit into the same power jacks... I'll miss it, but already have a New 4500 mounted in it's place. Drilled & tapped the aluminum base plate for the 4500. Moved the 12V heaters to the base & not on the sizer itself

I will be making a new handle & keep the Old 45 setup with a different lube. Old 45 got the Oring upgrade too.
    New 4500 is pretty nice. More open for the placement & removal of boolits & less effort to use. Had to wash out all the iron filings out of the new 4500 before I filled it with Carnuba Red. 45 came to me as a gift from a friends Father's reloading outfit. I need to fix it back up as it's still in great condition.

Moderator Emeritus

I've made a few different handles.
    be sure to see the photo in post #31, if you dont' read through the whole thread...That is "the" improved design I have settled with.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...man-45-lubsizr
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    Thanks Jon,

Read the thread the other day. Found it searching for Lyman 45 handle. Been thinking & I may just adapt a pipe of sorts to whats left of the handle. Only the small round end broke off which is basically the wood handle. Need to keep it light though & will prolly need a heavier spring.

In the past I have replaced the wood handle with a handle I got from a comfy screwdriver. Main pivot for the original handle is in good shape. Cleaned the threads & Loctite it on there, has survived for a long time so far. I am diligent about oiling all moving parts & pins.

May swage a piece of EMT over the rectangular shape & fill with epoxy. Also epoxy a 3/8-16 stud to the other end so I can use a phenolic ball I have for the handle. Will definitely need a stronger spring though.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by vwpieces View Post
    Thanks Jon,

Read the thread the other day. Found it searching for Lyman 45 handle. Been thinking & I may just adapt a pipe of sorts to whats left of the handle. Only the small round end broke off which is basically the wood handle. Need to keep it light though & will prolly need a heavier spring.

In the past I have replaced the wood handle with a handle I got from a comfy screwdriver. Main pivot for the original handle is in good shape. Cleaned the threads & Loctite it on there, has survived for a long time so far. I am diligent about oiling all moving parts & pins.

May swage a piece of EMT over the rectangular shape & fill with epoxy. Also epoxy a 3/8-16 stud to the other end so I can use a phenolic ball I have for the handle. Will definitely need a stronger spring though.
    That is what a previous owner did with a Ideal #1 that I have, it works fine with that repair, as well as a couple other repairs it has had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    Have the handle made up. Stopped by the hardware store for some JB Weld Steel epoxy putty. Also picked up an oak dowel rod in 5/8in to use to stuff the putty into the handle. Handle is 1/2in EMT, got a short piece from work. After stuff int he handle with epoxy putty I cut off a measured piece of dowel to take up some space in the handle. Used a 3/8-16 Socket head cap screw, Allen bolt, & stuffed putty around it to hold it in. Now have a Phenolic ball handle on the end. I made the handle slightly longer than the wood handle & added the ball on top of that. Seems the spring will work just fine even though I increased the weight of the handle significantly.

Nothing to size at the moment but Should have some cast up soon.

Melting out the Carnuba red at the moment, will get pics completely assembled & mounted.

Boolit Buddy
    Hah Got ya'll beat I forged a tire iron into a handle about 20 years ago and it's still working.
    Dual purpose now.
    Get a flat in the reloading room and I'm good to go!

Rich

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Don't feel too bad. The original Lyman was a bit on the "spindly" side anyway........as proven by two in my possession, both with brazed handle repairs. I think the previous owners were probably trying to size .577 Snyders down to .32 auto or something.