MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Spotting scope

Boolit Master

Spotting scope

I'm looking for recommendations for a spotting scope for the rifle range. I don't need to spend a ton of money for a range spotting scope but I don't want to buy 3 before I find a serviceable one.
    TIA

Boolit Grand Master

It also depends on several things, You dont really give alot of information as to the range or actual use expected. On a range with operating targets you only need to see the 1 1/2" or 5" spotting discs used to mark holes by the pit crew. Distance becomes an issue also. seeing bullet holes at 100 is much easier than 300. Which direction the range faces also makes a diffrence. North facining ranges get alot of light on the face of the target illuminating holes much better, others seem to be in shade and are much harder to see. For all around use something 25X-30X with a 60mm-100mm objective should work well. If possible go to Cabellas, Bass pro shop, Gander Mountain, or sporting goods stores and they should have some on display you can look thru to judge what is what. Kowas are very good and show holes clean but are expensive. My kowas have under good conditions ( bright, little mirage) shown 30 cal holes at 600 yds. Also a used scope may allow a better scope for the money of a new cheaper one. Kowas unertals Bausch and Lomb ect ect. These are available around gun shows and internet. My partner and I have started using a pair of celestron 25X x 100mm binoculars mounted on a heavy tripod for BPCR shillouette shooting. Saves some eye fatiuge since both eyes are working in the same plane. Allows reading mirage and wind when properly focused to do it easier, And the big plus with the black powder rounds is at the longer ranges you easily see the bullets trace walk into or around the target allowing for much better coaching, better field of view than a spotting scope also. Draw back is wieght, size ( hard to use from position by the shooter with out getting out of position), and a very stable solid tripod must be used if they wiggle in the wind its hard to use them. Look around and see what available in your budget range. In stores look at oblects accross the showroom ( if possible the bar code works good and compare scopes to the same object bar code. If there are any High Power matches in your area stop in and see whats being used ask around some may have used equipment they are willing to sell.

The best for the money is the Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm - $255.00

Boolit Master
    I have the Konus 20-60x 100mm Spotting Scope and consider it a great value.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I got a cheap Tasco ( I should have known better) when my 20+ year old one bit the dust. Don't waste your money.

Banned

not much experience with them but I will say this. Im a big leupold fan but stay away from the wind river spotter. I have one and am not impressed.

Boolit Master
    The konus is hard to beat for the sub $300 range.
    I like the eye relief..I can see 22 holes @ 200 on bright days.

Back a few years ago when I did a few of the CBA Postal shoots I tried getting an entry rifle scope. That didn't work for me so I put my 3 by 9 Leopold back on and sent the scope back to Midway, but I eckschanged it for a range spotting scope. I ordered the Bushnell Sentry which is under a Ben Franklin. It doesn't have to take recoil and seems to work pretty good at least out to two hundred yards. IIRC it was mentioned in one of the LACS articles for economic spotting scopes.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy

I agree, Konus +1
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Banned

guys at cameraland really brag up the vortex spotter for the price it costs too. Might be worth checking

Got a used Kowa with some accessories on ebay probably 10 years or so ago. I've used it for smallbore, high power and 1000 yard NRA courses. Its great for when spotting discs are being used. I'm not sure what eyepiece magnifier is on it, but I know its a fixed power. I like the Kowa for what I do however it is quite large though well built. If I was going to go afield I may not want it for spotting prairie dogs or other game esp with the fixed power and wide field of view. Note, I've only ever really used it in hot miserable weather of which is common for nationals at camp perry and it really shows the mirrage and other conditions quite well.

Vortex has been catching my eye more and more, I may have to try one of their scopes sometime.
    My firearms project blog

Moderator Emeritus

This is always a touchy question. I have a 15-45x Burris Landmark, and I can't recommend it. Optics at that price level are about as good as you can expect, and it will do for 2-300 yds. just fine, but at 600, I can't see bullet holes reliably. The big problem is the focusing adjustment. They're not fine enough in adjustment. And center to edge clarity varies on top power through the focal range, with focus being adjustable for the outer edges, center and midpoints being slightly different. That's pretty much normal for a cheaper scope in this power range, so best advice is to buy one where the focus adjustment is fine and tight. This isn't what you want to hear or I want to have to tell you, but it's what I've found so far.

The big problem you and I and most of us are up against with spotters is that the higher in power we need to go, the more critical the optics, grinding of lenses, and type of glass become. This is because the stronger, bigger lenses have to be bigger, and that makes for more and more separation of the light entering into a rainbow, like with a prism. Curved glass surfaces do this, but some glass minimizes it, and layered lenses can do a lot for it too. I'm no scope guru, but this is what I'm given to understand, and I've had some opportunity to learn about grinding eyeglass lenses that kind'a at least, transfers over into grinding any lens. It's a very highly technical process full of subtleties, and judgment calls at the design level. I also learned a bit about cameras back when I went through a kick with photography. The more I've come to know, the more confusing and qualified all of it gets, so if you're stumped, join the club!

Best thing you can do is to go to the sporting and photography stores and see what you can get a chance to look through, and make your purchase on that basis. From my own experience, I can tell you if you're not satisfied, you'll be in a big ol' boat! The really good and most effective spotters seem to START at about $800 and go UP from there, and I just don't need one THAT bad .... yet, at least.

If you get a really good one, though, take it out some evenings and look at the moon. I find it fascinating, anyway. Stars? You need a LOT more than just a spotter! A LOT more! Nice to play with, even off the range. Good luck, and wish I had a better answer for you. Mostly, us po' boys just hafta' pays our monies an' takes our choices, an' learn to live with them.

One thing I HAVE wondered about, and haven't had a chance to see about, is the Burris 15-75x reflector type spotter. It's short and light, and there are some advantages in using a mirror rather than a lens to bend your light to magnify the image, but there are also some DISadvantages, too, and again, ya' pays yer money an' takes yer choice. If you shoot long range, you'll probably find no joy with a cheaper scope, I'm sorry to say, but if you don't shoot over about 300 or so, the Burris Landmark will do at least fairly well.

Oh yeah! I think you'll find like I and all the others I know, that higher power does NOT increase resolution. ONLY good lenses, finely ground, good coatings and basic design, and very careful assembly with just the right parts will give you resolution. That's a big part of the reason the really good ones are so spendy, along with the inevitable cost of much bigger, heavier lenses that require more time and care to grind.

Has anyone had any experience with that Burris reflector spotter? I'd really like to hear a report on one. I like the compactness, but mainly, I just need something I can see 6.5mm. bullet holes in paper at 600 with.

Boolit Grand Master

A few years back I did as country gent suggested and tried several spotting scopes at my local Cabelas. I wanted a compact scope that would fit in my shooting bag and my budget was $400 or thereabouts. I seldom shoot past 100 yards but wanted one that was serviceable out to at least 200. I was a bit surprised when the Burris 20X50mm Compact came out on top...at well under budget! It has endured dozens of range trips with no issues. I don't think the results would be the same today but I do know I'd use the same selection process again. It may annoy the clerk a bit but if he pays attention he/she may learn something. I know I did.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm, I ordered one of these and haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I'm very happy with my Konus. I have a lot of optics experience and have owned or own many spotting scopes. The Konus is the poor man's Kowa.