Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The newest addition to my fine Hollywood collection a HOLLYWOOD SUPER TURRET!!!

Boolit Master
    Pretty amazing Tracvision.

Cool Stuff!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

" Metallic".................I wants............

Thanks for the pics Tracvision!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Tracvision View Post
    50BMG, I was actually thinking of just the "SUPER". That and the "METALLIC" reloaders are the rarest of rare. Below are some pix of what is awaiting assembly, along with 6000# of Hollywood parts.
    Attachment 148937Attachment 148938Attachment 148939Attachment 148940Attachment 148941Attachment 148942Attachment 148943Attachment 148951Attachment 148952
    oooooookay , I am speechless !!! ....
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Buddy
    You are welcome 50. More to come. I hope I can get some fine Hollywoods into the hands of serious collectors. Below is a picture of the Metallic autos that will be available. There is also a shotgun auto there that will be cleaned up and available.
    Harold
    Quote Originally Posted by .50bmg View Post
    " Metallic".................I wants............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150831_132805-s1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	149014

Thanks for the pics Tracvision!
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Very, Very nice ----- Thank you

HGS

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks HGS, Your collection is quite nice also. I like your display setup. Wish I had the room in my home for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HGS View Post
    Very, Very nice ----- Thank you

HGS
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Bub
    Tracvision, keep me in mind when the time comes on the automatic or one of the others. That's just a spectacular collection of pictures.

There's one other Super Turret owner that I know of. Lubedude and I have both spoken to him and he couldn't be nicer. He's restored his Super and it's just spectacular. He has serial number 302.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kitchen View Post
    Tracvision, keep me in mind when the time comes on the automatic or one of the others. That's just a spectacular collection of pictures.

There's one other Super Turret owner that I know of. Lubedude and I have both spoken to him and he couldn't be nicer. He's restored his Super and it's just spectacular. He has serial number 302.
    Jim,
    I consider Lubedude a personal friend. We have met in Texas and guess what the conversation was about ??? Wife was bored. !!! Anyway, I am leaving Colorado in a few weeks and need to take any presses with me that one may want. Otherwise, they will be in my shop in Co. until next May.

I have an un-numbered Super Turret that is the prototype. I also have the molds. I don't think I will sell them. Many have asked, but that is in my personal collection. I have 3-4 Metallic autos I will sell and also some shotgun autos. Drop me an email if you have any specific requests or need pix. email here

Once these presses are gone, I wont have a source for more. I hope to get them in the hands of collectors.

Regards,
    Harold
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Bub
    .50bmg,

What's the number on the lower right side of the turret along the bottom as you face it? It's a three digit number that begins with 3 in most cases.

And, like everyone else, congratulations on joining the club, the Super club!

Best,

Jim

Thanks Jim, my Supers SN# is 380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	149075
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .50bmg View Post
    The newest addition to my fine Hollywood collection a HOLLYWOOD SUPER TURRET!!!
    Attachment 145116Attachment 145117Attachment 145118
    More pics to come once i clean her up.

TEAM HOLLYWOOD
    I just realized i "kinda" hijacked this thread!!! Sorry 50. Congrats again on your SUPER find !!
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Wow Tracvision! You have some of the casting molds too. (alteast I think that's what those are) That is cool!!

What a great collection!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danomano View Post
    Wow Tracvision! You have some of the casting molds too. (alteast I think that's what those are) That is cool!!

What a great collection!
    Those are for sand castings and are typically called patterns.

Had a room full of them (the Pattern Room) in the MGM Machine Shop. They were made by the Mill and used in the Foundry to produce set pieces for movies like "Gone With the Wind", "Torpedo Run" and many others.

It's very cool that you got the patterns for the castings.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150831_132912.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	149412
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Those are for sand castings and are typically called patterns.

Had a room full of them (the Pattern Room) in the MGM Machine Shop. They were made by the Mill and used in the Foundry to produce set pieces for movies like "Gone With the Wind", "Torpedo Run" and many others.

It's very cool that you got the patterns for the castings.
    Smokey, Thanks for that info. I have the molds , but know nothing about using them. I just figured I would put the mold behind each press in my collection. I would be interested in how the process works. I have the molds for most of the presses and accessories that Hollywood made. The Senior Turret mold is wood and so are a few others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150831_132912-s.jpg  
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Harold, by the time I went to work at MGM the foundry had been shut down and demoed 10 or 15 years earlier. But, I do remember being told that the sand was very fine and I would think it would have to be somewhat damp to hold shape. The pattern was pressed down into the sand, carefully lifted out, then the molten metal poured in. You would definitely need to study up on it if you wanted to produce castings.

Some of the patterns I had in the pattern room were identified as door hardware for Terra, the Southern mansion from "Gone With the Wind", a submarine hatch from I think "Torpedo Run" and a host of other patterns from dozens, if not hundreds of other MGM movies. MGM also cast their own printer beds (like a lathe bed), plus built their own camera cars and camera dollies.

The Mill and Foundry were so busy from the '30s through the '50s they had their own railroad spur line to supply materials.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Harold, by the time I went to work at MGM the foundry had been shut down... snip
    Smokey, I find it very interesting that both MGM and Hollywood Gun Shop used the same method, in the same geographical location. I wouldn't be surprised if Lyle Corcoran knew some of the workers at MGM. I have pictures of movie stars from that period, in his shop. It would be cool to make the historical connection.

Come to think of it, I think I have a glossy with Clark Gable at the front display area. I'll check my Florida collection when I get home in a few weeks. ( re: Gone with the Wind )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix3-20%.bmp  
    Last edited by Tracvision; 09-21-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Sand casting has been used for centuries and is still in pretty wide use today.

I have a pretty interesting story about Gable, told to me by a MGM alumni from the '50s. PM me if you're interested.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Sand casting has been in use since at least the 1500's. Lost wax is used for parts requiring higher tolerances but it is still very commonly used today.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Sand casting has been in use since at least the 1500's. Lost wax is used for parts requiring higher tolerances but it is still very commonly used today.
    I have heard of the lost wax method also. Maybe I will get the bug and try to cast a Super one day. Are there shops that do that these days?
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Grand Master

Lost wax was mostly a jewelry process until Bill Ruger started using it. Ruger has an industrial division that does non-firearm lost wax as do may other companies. Aerospace, auto and general industry use a very large amount of lost wax.

For a one of sand cast will be way cheaper. With having the patterns a sand cast will be very cost effective. One of machining will be a shocker unless you can find a good retired machinist or tool maker with a shop that would be willing to trade machining for an extra casting or two.

http://www.thomasnet.com/florida/san...2521209-1.html

http://www.zycon.com/Products/US-FL-.../Castings.html

Good read on the Hollywood's here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YA3ejxrdOjph3Q
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-21-2015 at 04:42 PM.