WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: The smells of shooting

Boolit Buddy

The smells of shooting

Yesterday I took a newbie to the range to introduce him to guns and shooting. We were shooting handloads with cast boolits, BAC lube and 2400 powder in an old Ruger Security Six.

After about a half hour of shooting he turned to me, took a deep breath and said "Wow, I love that smell". LOL. I had to admit that I do too.

It kinda smells like home, friends and good times.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    A freshly fired paper shotgun shell and a crisp autumn morning- it doesn't get a whole lot better...till you get home and break out a bottle of Hoppe's #9 (original formula).

Boolit Buddy
    The sweet smell of burnt powder is right up there with the smell of good Bourbon.

Boolit Master
    I would buy a candle that smelled like burnt nitrocellulose, lol! Love that smell! They all have their own unique smells too. The Holy Black, Ed's Red, Ballistol / moose milk, the original Break Free CLP, paper hulls, etc, I love it!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Just this morning I dropped a glass bottle of Hoppes #9 down my leg onto the floor, where it broke. I used to kind of like that smell, but not so much right now.

Yes, Nothing like that smell.

Speaking of Hoppes #9, Was recently given an unopened 14 oz bottle from the late 60s-early 70s he thought.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Yes the old had an entirely different smell. Will never forget.

Ah Yes the smell of the old paper hull shotgun shells.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tryNto View Post
    Yes, Nothing like that smell.

Speaking of Hoppes #9, Was recently given an unopened 14 oz bottle from the late 60s-early 70s he thought.
    That's the good stuff. In the late 80's the EPA made them remove the Nitrobenzene. It worked way better.

Boolit Buddy
    In the late 80's the EPA made them remove the Nitrobenzene
    Ok, so that's the difference. When I got back into shooting I noticed a difference but thought it was just me.

Shoot some Trail Boss powder...got a really interesting smell...makes the folks on either side of you sit up and take notice..sort of a sweet ammonia smell.

Boolit Master

That smell of nitro may be a turn on to some but NOTHING beats the smell of about 85 to 90 grs of FFG Black Powder on an autumn morning with a bit of misty fog still in the air! Come to think it's the right shooting smell any time.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    A freshly fired paper shotgun shell and a crisp autumn morning- it doesn't get a whole lot better...till you get home and break out a bottle of Hoppe's #9 (original formula).
    The memories that brings back... Dad and me with old Smokey on point. You just made my day.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

In the morning in the blind whether on a beaver pond or the big water (more on the big water marsh when the sun is starting to wear off the morning fog) duck hunting the smell of 800x is well, they should make a spice out of it for biscuits and gravy. I will pick up the hulls and put them in my pocket then pull them out frequently to smell them. gooooood smell, aroma

Oh, I use to do one of those Martha Stewart sayings to myself, "And that's a good thing" when I smelled the 800x hulls.
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 09-05-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Man
    The old shotgun shells.. I've sniffed thousands of them and when i break out the occasional old shell still do the same. Love the smell of black powder too.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I still buy paper shots shells now and then....just for the memories that odor brings.

Boolit Master

I like all them aromas, but love the smell of cordite. Parts of the navy dockyard would just reek of it some days. The old Mk7 303 rounds would put me in a trance. Probley get cancer or something from sniffling the casings.
    Mmmm cordite.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    Love the smell of gun powder in the morning!

Not so sure the neighbors wife likes the sound! But they put up with me.

Master Tool & Die Maker

"I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    I always love the smell of 2400 burning. It reminds me of my father shooting his .44 mag rifle when I was small..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Just this morning I dropped a glass bottle of Hoppes #9 down my leg onto the floor, where it broke. I used to kind of like that smell, but not so much right now.
    I did the same thing as a kiddo. My folks, mostly mom, hated the smell of Hoppes and she didn't appreciate me cleaning guns in the kitchen. Hey, there were tables & counters there! So I decided to clean out my bedroom closet and make it my little area to clean my guns. Had my bottle of Hoppes in there cleaning away, knocked it off the shelf and it hit something and broke. Soaked into the carpet before I could sponge much up. Had to smell that stuff for a long time before it was gone. So I don't much care for the smell of Hoppes anymore, I had my fill of it!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed