RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Mould issue, #68 Saeco 4 cavity

Mould issue, #68 Saeco 4 cavity

Guys. I purchased a Saeco 4 cavity #68 H&G design 45 ACP SWC mould. It throws undersized bullets. I was casting at a target temp of 725*, but my then new, now back at RCBS for warranty service, Pro Melt wouldn't hold temperature, so I cannot say for certain what temp the melt was.

I know there is shrinkage with bullets cast at higher temperature, but these bullets are coming out at .450 to .451" No bueno.

I wonder should I return the mould to Saeco for one that casts a little bit larger? Or should I wait for the Pro Melt to return, properly repaired and in proper working order, and try casting at 650* or something to see if I can get this one to work? If indeed it is a shrinkage issue, as opposed to a cavity issue.

I've always been happy with Saeco moulds, but I think this one has "issues." I would much prefer a .453" bullet so it sizes properly in the lubricating process.

Thanks for your considered recommendations.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Alloy composition can affect size as well. What is you lead/tin ratio? I think I would wait for the ProMelt to return and try again before givingup on the mold.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

The alloy measures out at at least 16 BHN per the Lee hardness tester. I do not know its exact composition. To a 20 # pot I have added about ½ pound tin. I did not notice any difference in casting before or after the tin, but I attribute that to the infernal pot shutting itself off and the alloy turning mushy.

Boolit Master
    I just purchased two NOE #68 Brass 4 cavity molds and they produce perfect bullets and all cavities are .453. I have always been a fan of Saeco and have a number of their molds, but the NOE molds are less expensive. The brass is a heaver mold, but I can live with that for this kind of quality. If the Saeco are undersize I would return the mold or it would probably be fine if you powder coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Try adding something with a bit more antimony in it.

650 F will work, but it will be frustrating - it's just on the edge of minimum temp. You may end up with a lot more culls due to poor fill out at the lower temp.

Lyman / Ideal used to have a small cheat sheet showing shrinkage amounts with a variety of alloys. The closer you get to pure, the more the shrinkage (if I recall correctly).

Boolit Master

Saeco specs there moulds with Lawrance mag bullet alloy , your alloy of 16 bhn should be fine !
    My Saeco 8 cavity #68 mould will cast boolets at .452 or slightly over with WW alloy and are sized @.452 dia I usually run my RCBS pot between 650 to 700 degrees .

If the problem is a undersized mould ? Saeco will fix or replace it if it has not been modified.

I have about 13 Saeco moulds and all will cast boolets large enough with WW alloy to be sized at there normal sizing dia for that caliber.

Thanks fellas. Once the Pro Melt returns from RCBS I'll try experimenting.