RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting with cap & ball revolver

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Chris, Thanks for doing that! Even though Ruger tested the OA with smokeless powder, it was an extreme test, and certainly not recommended as the only thing containing the higher pressure are the threads on the nipple.
    Neat, didn't know Ruger tested the ROA with smokeless! Yeah, the thought of a nipple or parts of one or cylinder chunks flying about is scary. My hat is off to Elmer Keith for using big brass ones knowing he was likely to pop a gun at some point!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Arrow

Chris, Look at this thread, especially post #s 3, 5, & 11:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...okeless-Powder

Boolit Master
    "It's romantic to imagine getting a deer with the percussion guns but there's a reason they are often no allowed by law for deer hunting."

If it performs no differently than a .45 Colt, a well known medium game cartridge, there's nothing "romantic" about it.

Many of the game laws are made by people who don't know which end is which.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Thirty three grains of Pyroxex "P", Wonder Wad, Lee 220 Conical, Wonder Seal (lube cookie), #11 CCI cap, in ROA.

Attachment 146920

Winelover
    Bravo Zulu! Essentially same outfit I use except I prefer standard TC MaxiBall or Lee 250-gr. R.E.A.L. in my Od Army and had Bowen put a higher front sight on it to zero heavier bullets for 50 yards. I look for standard .45 Colt ballistics ~850 fps with 250-gr. in 7-1/2" barrel, have taken seven deer and sixteen boar with that arrangement.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    C&B do not load through the muzzle so they are out for Muzzleloader season in WIS you may use it during modern firearms season as long as the barrel is 5 1/2 inches or longer , they do include the cylinder in the measurement so even a 4 inch barrel will work it is considered from muzzle to firing pin , yeah I know a C&B has no firing pin
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Master
    Same here. I cannot use it as a primary weapon during muzzleloading season, though I can carry it as a sidearm, but it most certainly can be used any other season.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Chris, Look at this thread, especially post #s 3, 5, & 11:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...okeless-Powder
    Thanks for the link! That whole thread was a pretty good read! I would actually like to get me an ROA at some point, I have recently been infected with flintlock fever and I have wanted some cap & ball guns for a while, now so more than ever!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Cheese and crackers.
    I think it's hilarious that every day people don't run the game department nazis that dictate what you can and can't hunt with out of town on a rail.
    I grew up with a six pointer on the dining room wall that Mom brought home with a 32-20.
    Ooo, but you can't use that .44!

Where's the spittoon?

Boolit Master
    32-20? That's full load 36 Navy cap and ball ballistics. Most comments on forums say the 36 is a real "man stopper" so it must be great for deer too, eh?

In Remembrance
    Elmer Keith had lots to say about round ball in BP revolvers. Thought very highly of their stopping power. He grew up around CW veterans, and shot quite a bit of BP himself. He said the round ball performed much better on game and humans than the paper figures would suggest. Read 'Sixguns' by Keith.
    I'm sure he would not hesitate to take a deer with and and ball .44.
    I like Ruger Old Armies, but the Remington and Colt .44's come very close, and have more than acceptable power.

I'm think I am going to try my 58 Remington on deer this year. I pistol hunt anyways so I'm used to shot placement and range restrictions. I'm planning on using either Triple 7 or Pyrodex pellets, which ever shoots fastest over my Chrono. I just need to figure out what projectile to use. I have a round ball mold, a Lee 200 gr cap n' ball mold, a Big Lube 210 gr cap n' ball mold, and I've loaded my 250 gr lyman rnfp that I shoot out of my Colts in my cap n' ball pistols before with pretty good results.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Lyman 250 grain boolit with a pyrodex pellet. What do yall think?

If the bullet fits and is accurate enough use it. One concern I have with Pyro pellets is whether they reliably ignite. The pellets do seem to pack a punch.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Hellgate; you'll have to try the pellets in your gun to be sure. I've fired hundreds of them in my Pietta Remington 44. They are powerful, but in my gun they tend to exhibit the occasional slight hang fire; just enough to make the difference between a hit and a miss.

There's nothing wrong with real black, and out of several hundred shots using paper cartridges with Old Eynsford powder I've never had a hang fire so far. Given the difference in price per 100 shots, and the hang fire issue, it's a no-brainer for me and my gun. Old E it is, or Swiss, either of which provide good energy and reliability.

Something I might try is seating the Lee 450-200-1R backwards, which would give you a flat nose, or wadcutter, boat tail. Possibly better terminal effect that way, if its accuracy were acceptable.

If you do seat the bullet in reverse, be sure to check accuracy. The LEE mold casts the conical so the upper part has the greatest diameter so you may have trouble getting EXACT alignment with the chamber & bore. Try it and see what you get. It might be surprising or not.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I have about 20 jars of Pyrodex pellets that where given to me sitting on my shelf, so cost isn't a issue. I use Ampco nipples which give 100% ignition every time with the pellets so I know I'm good there. As far as seating the bullets, I added a rebate to the mouth of all the chambers on both of my 58's, this made seating conical boolits much easier and when using my reloading stand it allows me to use just about any bullet I want as long as the alloy is soft. This also keeps the bullet square in the chamber.

I'm going to limit my first kill to a standing broadside shot no more than 25 yards away. I guess I just need to run a few over my chrono and see how fast they are running.

Boolit Master
    Please post your results when you do.

I will, I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now but I will post my results when I get to it. I'll definitely shoot them over a chronograph before I hit the woods and try hunting with it.

Based on what I've seen these pistols do to on a wooden backstop, I have pretty good confidence in their performance.

Boolit Master
    I'd think the 210 grn bullet might be better with the limited powder capacity.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Interesting discussion. Keep it going!

(One question: can't you use dogs to find the wounded animals? I mean 100 or 300 yards is not a problem if you have a good dog..)

Depends on the regulations in the particular state you are hunting in.....some absolutely prohibit dogs for deer entirely....some permit it in a limited fashion and some the use is generally approved for both free running or just tracking.

Boolit Master
    When living in Alaska, I used a 58 Remington on porcupine (a real pest) and whistle pigs.