Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .410 Buck and Ball question...

In Remembrance

Is that 2nd picture of a single round? for pattern?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

careful w steel pellets in a non-steel rated wad; erosion and bore scoring will occur and ruin your gun for any useful slug accuracy.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

I guess the bottom line is (after safety, of course): are you happy w the results?

If you are, then bravo.

If not, let us know because we love trying new things!

The second picture is the first shot of Buck and Ball load while I was aiming at the bottom edge.
    The 4th pic is showing the primers and that there are no signs of over pressure.
    The 5th and the 6th pics are the cut shell. The 7th is the glue plug that got embedded into the cardboard.

In Remembrance

any evidence of the 357 slugs keyholing?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes.....I am wondering why you bother with an unstabilized tumbling slug when two buckshot in the same volume would be more effective. You should be considering an all buckshot load. Forget the teeny shot and the tumbling slug.

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    any evidence of the 357 slugs keyholing?
    At 10 yards not with the slug only the cut shell.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Yes.....I am wondering why you bother with an unstabilized tumbling slug when two buckshot in the same volume would be more effective. You should be considering an all buckshot load. Forget the teeny shot and the tumbling slug.
    I went with the slug instead of the buckshot because I don't have to buy anything to make the slugs I already have the molds and casting equipment if I wanted to spend more money Id look into just buying a 20ga and be done with it. The tiny bird shot are only because that's what came in the shells that Walmart carried for the lowest price.

The biggest thing about this was to build a set up a camp gun that could dispatch a threat animal humanly, that is cheap enough to practice with so that everyone is able to hit at least a 5 inch circle at 10-15 yards

Boolit Grand Master
    A 20 dollar roundball mould and multiple 36 buck would be more effective than what you are assembling, and you did say effectiveness was a criteria,

Tumbling slugs veer widely. Small shot as you noted don't work well on larger critters. Spending a very modest sum to get what you need exactly seems better than a solution that is mostly ineffective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438997359.642118.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	146152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438997371.491773.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	146153

I picked these up today. The double mold is for a .36 BP pistol so I'll try all three projos and see what works the best.

Just found this post and find it A lot of fun . I have played with 410's quite a bit and my favorite load is a 2 1/2" shell with 3 .395 or .400 diameter lead balls loaded on top of the regular wad with the petals cut off. I have several 410's and they all shoot that load to a pattern of the 3 balls in a coffee cup sized group at 30 yards and they have enough penetration to go thru a treated 4x4 wood post.
    Last year I shot a large hog low behind the ear ( brain shot ) at about 10-15 yards and it dropped on the spot and was dead in a few seconds.

I would be confident that with a good shot angle and placement it would kill deer sized animals cleanly at 35 yards. ( not legal here in OH )

Have fun with your 410 and that GF. Jedman

I have a Bond Arms Ranger II what I load for it is 3 .360 RB in a 2 1/2" shell. They will fit without cutting the petals off. At 15 yds it will put all 3 in a 9" circle & go through 14 ga steel. Haven't tried it in a regular 410.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever-man View Post
    I have a Bond Arms Ranger II what I load for it is 3 .360 RB in a 2 1/2" shell. They will fit without cutting the petals off. At 15 yds it will put all 3 in a 9" circle & go through 14 ga steel. Haven't tried it in a regular 410.
    I fit 4 of the .360" round balls ina Win AAHS shell with a Win wad and fold crimp for use in a Judge pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Skip the conical bullet from your mould. Nothing like a projectile that wanders from the intended point of impact because of unstabilized asymmetrical aerodynamics. Stick to the round balls. The conical takes up excessive room in the shell as well.

How about this for a buck and ball .410?

Magtech or reformed .303 brass hull
    Winchester (clone) wad with the petals cut short
    .445 roundball sized to .430 and rolled in BLL
    Some #1 buckshot to fill out the 1/2 oz load.

I haven't tried the above load yet. Main reason is I am unsure of the wad. I would cut the petals short at the top of buckshot, but the gas seal is likely way too narrow for the brass hulls. On the plus side, sizing the balls .430 makes them a tight fit and so probably would take place of crimping plastic shells. If the 2 1/2" load works well, I'll try out a 3" load using 9.3x74R brass.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master
    The ball should be bore size or smaller. Hopefully this will not be shot through a choked barrel or it should be smaller yet.

In other words don't be in a hurry to shoot an oversized ball down the barrel.

Ok so we played around with the new molds and loaded 2 of every combo we could think of using .34 cal RB, .36 cal RB, .36 cal conical, .358 cal SWC and bird shot keeping everything as close to the original payload weight as possible (most of the time) I'll post pictures when I get them all together.

We did try some flechettes made out of 12d nails cut to the correct length they were pretty much useless do to the spread however 1 went completely through 3/4" sheet of ply and was sticking out of the back side of the back of a second sheet of 3/4" ply spaced about 2.5' apart several were pointing out the back of the first, but most hit side ways and did little. All in all fun but not useful at all.

The .34 cal RB had a lot more spread than the .36 cal RB and even the .36 cal conical. And while the conicals did keyhole they stayed pretty tight to the POI.

There were 2 shells we loaded with a pair of .358 cal 158 gr. SWC had a lot more recoil, were much louder than the others and hit well below the point of aim, but did pattern well and went through both sheets of 3/4" plywood. Cases and primers showed no signs of pressure and both ejected cleanly from the gun with ease.

Like I said I'll post pictures up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The ball should be bore size or smaller. Hopefully this will not be shot through a choked barrel or it should be smaller yet.

In other words don't be in a hurry to shoot an oversized ball down the barrel.

I suppose I should have mentioned these my proposed load is for a .45/.410. I definately see your point, though, and would not try them in any standalone .410. Also should mention shot sizes chosen from molds I have on hand in the spirit of the op.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

.410 Buck and Ball question...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351528.568818.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	146478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351537.284135.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	146479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351546.683102.jpg 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	146480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351555.981979.jpg 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	146481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351564.031178.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	146482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351572.165691.jpg 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	146483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351580.931016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	146484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439351589.432299.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	146485

Ok it's going to take me a minute but here we go

34c = 34 caliber
    36c = 36 caliber
    BS. = Bird Shot (not bull s:-0)

These were the best groups/patterns and the ones we decided to load more of to see if we can repeat these results. This test was two shells of each loading from about 12-15 yards

I like shots 9&10, 15&16
    Last edited by ThaDave; 08-12-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Boolit Master

I don't get the birdshot.....just dump it out and use for your boolits.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill