Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chasing .32 ACP brass ...

Chasing .32 ACP brass ...

I have become very attracted to the .32 ACP pocket pistols and the round itself. I have a FN 1922, Walther PP, and Colt 1903 that I am reloading for.

But chasing .32 ACP brass is a pain in the you know what. You cannot see those little suckers in the grass or gravel once they have been launched! I am beginning to think I can reload the brass once and leave them lay where they fall because they are almost impossible to find. I enjoy shooting the pistol and reloading, but looking for the brass is not productive.

I know I am not the only one who likes this little cartridge, what do others do?
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Got a 1903 also, I throw out a tarp or 2 to my right & behind me. If the're in the grass I loose at least 30% & look for the sun glint on the cases. The 1903 sure likes to spread them out, eh? Way harder to find than 45acp! After I loose all I can stand, I finish shooting session with a revolver. Remorse over lost brass is something than keeps me awake at night.

Boolit Master
    I started with the .32ACP many, many years ago when I inherited a pre-WWII Walther PPK from my Grandfather. He had two. One went to his son and one went to me, his grandson. I have since added a few others (a Mauser HSc, a Colt, and a recent Kel-Tec).

I found out that it is just about impossible to recover brass while standing on gravel, which is what is on the firing range at an outdoor range my father (and later, me) belonged to. Now, I get what I can and don't obsess about the rest. I have kept an eye out for .32ACP brass while going to gunshows and have found some cheap brass from time to time, to keep me supplied.

Most of my reloads are with 77gr cast lead bullets. I ran across a really good buy on 60gr jacketed hollow-point Hornady bullets a couple of years ago and bought a bunch, but have not started loading them yet.

Banned
    Yep, the tarp trick is the way to go with those itty bitty cases. Makes things much, much easier.

Obsessing over brass is a good way to put it. I find myself going back days later, looking.

I have done the tarp thing. It takes me a magazine to find out where to put the tarp. Like the Colt 1903, my Walther will throw brass randomly 15+ feet! Instead of looking at the target for the bullet, you're looking at the brass and where it lands. Grrrrr

I have seen some hand held brass catchers but that takes the fun out of shooting. I guess I'll take what I can find and buy more brass when I find it.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I love the .32 Auto round and my little Kel-Tec P32. It flings brass everywhere, on a good day I find about 50%. I am thinking about modifying the ejector to not throw the brass as far. Maybe just bending it a bit so it would slope downward would do it. I wonder if the pistol would eject without an ejector. That's how Seecamp does it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

I even went so far as to paint the bottoms with "dayglow orange" and it still didn't help. The tarp is the best solution if you are shooting alone or have your shooting buddy spot them for you as they are ejected. There is absolutely no way to recover them all.

Boolit Grand Master
    As mentioned, shoot slow fire with a friend spotting. Don't shoot again until the location of the previous ejected round has been discovered. Polish brass before loading so it is easy to see.

If your range has a covered corner shoot there and let walls and roof trap brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I paint the bottom of my brass and I start looking for the brass after every 10 shots. Usually I only lose 1-2 per outing to the Brass God. Some times I recover all them only to find that 1-2 have split. Oh well, it is probably my favorite cartridge to load and shoot so I will "endeavor to persevere."

Boolit Master
    A tarp is handy! Also go look at dusk with a bright flashlight, the glint stands out in the darkness but if they land case head down and many do, they are hard to spot. Put up an artificial wall like a sheet of plywood if you can and shoot close to it, brass bounces off and down at your feet. I have seen these made of fine netting/mesh and even plexiglass. My M57 Tokarev throws brass into the next county and I hate loosing my brass, bugs me to no end!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

If you have kids and a metal detector let them go hunt for the brass you can't find and give 'em a bounty of ten cents each. They'll have a fun new game and you should get most of your brass back.

Best regards
    Doc

I have the same problem with 380 cases, I lose about 10%. I have been thinking of buying a metal detector to find my brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Half of a fitted sheet between 2 poles or trees on your right will collect 100% of your cases. They hit the loose linen and then fall straight down into the pocket created by the elastic.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I bought a surplus mosquito net and used to staple it to the right of my shooting position. My buddy did the same only he did one better. Same netting but stuck the ends in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    A tarp on the ground or net to the side is a good brass saver. 32 ACP is tough to see on some backgrounds, as are 30 Luger and 7.65 MAS pistol. Those last two are REAL scarce, so I take strides to collect the empties.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I solved the problem by shooting my KelTec indoors and only indoors.
    Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    hey . . let's face it . . it's not only 32ACP that's a pain to try and find. I have a 50 yard range out back of my house - have the distances marked off with 2" PVC pipe so I know the distances - 50 yd, 25 yd, 7 yd SD range, etc. I keep the grass SHORT and it's still a pain to fine my 9mm. I usually shoot standing in the same spot each time so I have a "general" idea of where my brass is flying - but still go back to the house with less than I went with. I finally went to picking up all that I cn see with the sun reflecting on them . . . and then once a month take the metal detector our and "go fishing". Amazing how the detector goes off by they are still hard to find. Maybe getting to old?

Some good suggestions and comments in this thread but we all know the REAl REASON 32 acp brass is so difficult to find is because it has a built in stealth factor enabling it to hide almost anywhere. Now 380 is a problem since it mixes with 9mm; and 9mm itself likes to mate with 45 acp; but nothing compares to that sneaky, sly 32 acp case that evades capture at every opportunity. Only dork solutions like sheets and nets for brass capture have any impact. I personally just write off 50% at a busy indoor range with plenty of brass on the floor. I know I'm just going to frustrate myself spending extra time trying to find the little sneaks - just shoot it- pickup the obvious- write off the rest.
    regards,

Boolit Man
    I don't see the problem. I just pick it out when I'm on my knees trying to sort out my 25acp from the rimfire brass that's all over the place.

Banned
    Big Tarp !