Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder Coating Oven Inside?

Boolit Master

Powder Coating Oven Inside?

Hello All,

I am planning on starting to powder coat in the next week or so. I have purchased most of the equipment and have the rest on order. I'm planning on casting some more this weekend so that I have a couple hundred boolits from a variety of different molds.

The one question I have is whether or not the oven for baking the powder can be indoors. I always cast in my garage and can setup the oven in there, however it would be much more convenient to do the baking in my basement next to my reloading bench. Could this cause health issues, or would the fumes be overwhelming?

Thanks in advance,

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    There is a reason not to bake them without good ventilation. It does make fumes, but you can decide if it is dangerous. Good luck.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=fumes
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I use an old kitchen range for baking PC boolits, but do it in the garage. It'll stink up the place. Not just smell, seems like there's fumes too. So I don't like to be around it, I'll open the garage door a couple of feet for ventilation. I certainly wouldn't do it in the house.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    Since it sounds like the smell and fumes will be too obnoxious for doing it in the basement I will definitely start out with the oven setup in the garage and see how that goes.

Good plan! Keep the wife happy too!

Boolit Master

My buddy who works at a place that coats things including pc, says never ever do it in your cooking stove, or a stove you use for anything else and do not breath the fumes. So I've taken his word as gospel on this.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why on earth would you EVER bake PC inside????????? Smell....heat....mess.

Everybody I know (that is still alive) does it outside, at least in a garage.

Lots of fumes and stink. And industrial rules state it should be done in a well ventilated area. If that is good enough for the commercial powder guys, it sure is good enough for me. Well ventilated does NOT mean your kitchen oven vent fan.

This has been discussed many times on here. Do a search.

good luck,

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I would think if you cook in the basement the odor will be all over the house, not a good idea, unless you are single or want to be.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Why on earth would you EVER bake PC inside????????? Smell....heat....mess.

Everybody I know (that is still alive) does it outside, at least in a garage.

Lots of fumes and stink. And industrial rules state it should be done in a well ventilated area. If that is good enough for the commercial powder guys, it sure is good enough for me. Well ventilated does NOT mean your kitchen oven vent fan.

This has been discussed many times on here. Do a search.

good luck,

bangerjim
    I think you know of me and I am still ALIVE and have been baking boolits for 2 years in my convection oven IN my fireplace that is IN my house??

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Well....... I would consider the draft of a fireplace flue as a " well ventilated" situation. I used to BBQ in my basement fireplace in our MI home. The draw pulled all the smoke out 100%. So you are NOT baking in a living environment relying on a simple oven hood vent fan like many would probably try if we did not say "do not bake indoors".

Glad it works for you. But you are pulling a lot of heat/cool out of your house to bake a few boolits which could easily be done in a garage or on the back patio.

Totally different comparison.

banger