MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses 3fffg black powder for .50 and up?

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I use 3F in near everything unless I already have a 2f load worked up that gives good accuracy. I still have a few pounds of 2f in my stored gear but as it disappears, I as of yet have no intention of buying more. The 69 and larger muskets are still a toss up which way I am going.
    Same in BP cartridge. I find 3F to meet my needs better. Best shooting powder in my 50-95.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

I have used 3fg Goex in all calibers up to and including 20g/.62 cal. In fact, in the largest caliber (.62) I found that ignition of 3f was superior to 2fg. My experience only, of course. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    3f in two different .54 cal rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    3f is all i buy. .32 to .62. prime and main. i try to keep things uncomplicated. irishtoo

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtn View Post
    I have never seen fffg. Where to find it?
    luvtn
    EVERYWHERE they sell BP.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    I've been running FFFg in a custom .50 since 1965 and it has always performed very well. I also run it in a couple of .54's without issue.
    Dave
    ----------------------------------------
    The only good thing about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    EVERYWHERE they sell BP.
    Which in my part of the country is nowhere.

Nobody carries BP. So I'm stuck with dropping serious coin on a 25-lb carton by mail order, organizing a group buy, or taking several LGS's suggestions and hanging out at the local Cowboy shooters place and begging to buy some from one of their BP cartridge shooters.

All I need is one lousy pound.

Boolit Master
    I used nothing but 3F Triple 7 for my ROA and .50 cal rifle (I wanted .45 Colt performance from my sidearm). I went to BassPro for it but found it out of stock every time I stopped in and checked for several months. I ended up checking out Grafs and found that if I ordered 3 lbs it about negated the HazMat fee.

And it worked out well as I wanted to try real BP as long as it was a sporting grade. I couldn't find anything locally. They carry both Swiss and Olde Eynsford (which I also use which gives very similar performance). I no longer look for it locally.

Boolit Master
    I use... both. Depends on the gun. My TC 50 Hawken loves FF, but my dad's custom 54 shines with FFF. The old man swears by FF in his ML shotgun. I've herd from guys here that use FF in a 32 cal and FFF in a 72... Try it and see what your gun likes seems to be the only hard and fast rule.

Smile 3FFF in all my BP guns

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    Which in my part of the country is nowhere.

Nobody carries BP. So I'm stuck with dropping serious coin on a 25-lb carton by mail order, organizing a group buy, or taking several LGS's suggestions and hanging out at the local Cowboy shooters place and begging to buy some from one of their BP cartridge shooters.

All I need is one lousy pound.
    Yes, it takes some looking and searching to find BP. Normally find the BP at mountain man rendezvous and civil war re-enactments. When I find it, several pounds are taken home.

My 45 pistol, 50 rifle and 58 rifle all shoot Goex 3FFF. It seems to light off better in wet hunting weather. I back down on the loads 10 to 20 grains, depending on the load. The 3FFF burns cleaner too so target shooting takes less scrubbing the bore between shots.

Here's the 7 year old lead cow harvested in 2006 with a Lyman Minnie 577611 at about 50 yards, using 120 gr of 3FFF. The Navy Arms rifle is proofed for 200 gr of 2FF with that Minnie Ball. Yes, it does bark. The same load took a nice 3 point buck the next year. Will try again in 2015 as I drew both tags in the lotto drawing.

Dave

Elk 1.jpg
    smilin jack

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Actually, if you are serious about finding BP, start an internet search for things like NMLRA, N-SSA, BP distributors, M/L clubs or organizations in your area, Muzzleloader Magazine, etc., and of course the vendors supporting the BP sports. BP is out there and in many cases, not far away.

How about Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown as an example of a good source that might have an equivalent in your area. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Mold
    I have four muzzleloaders, a .45 percussion, .50 flint, .54 percussion and a .54 flint. I use 3F in all of them. Very happy with Goex 3F.

Boolit Master
    I have used 3F Goex on all my calibers from 45 to 577 with great success. 78 gr in my 50's including for elk, 55 gr in my 45's, and 60 gr in my 577 Enfield.

Boolit Man
    I cant really tell the diff between the 2 in my rifles the fffg and ffg both shoot groups the same but i shoot 10 ga and like fffg for it . so I buy fffg .

Boolit Master

Me 3fff in any size

Boolit Mold
    I'm using 3F in all the muskets I've been shooting lately, .575 cal and in a 44 1858 Remington. Good results across the board. Had some 2F for a while and didn't seen any advantage to it. May as well simplify the supply issue. Forget Pyrodex. Tried some because it was all that was available locally at that moment.

I use it in my .72 podstam
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Buddy
    I use 3F in all my 50's.
    NRA Endowment Member

I try 2f and 3f in everything regardless of calibre. I have some .50 and larger that prefer 3f, but others just don't seem to care. I prefer 3f in flintlocks and in those rifles that can be unreliable when it comes to ignition, such as the TC Scout.

While I don't shoot much 'real' black powder anymore. When I was going through pounds per year I used 3F in everything. Tried 2F a few times and never got the results I wanted.