RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember The Lee "Automator"?

Boolit Master
    Hankster1962, it looks like you have a very nice reloading area. Did you Frankenstein that challenger? I have never seen one with the turret style lever and linkage? I see you have not converted the turrets over to the new priming system. I kept all my parts from when I did.

I could not tell from the pictures if you have the adjustment on the case feeder set correctly?
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Bub
    44Vaquero

I took the old style lever off of one of the turret presses. I do have a wooden ball to put on the Challenger, but have not done it yet. I kind of like it this way. You are right, I do not have the new style of priming system on my turret presses. I understand that you have to change the ram in order to use the new priming arms. Is this true or not? Both my benches are on wheels, and I can move them to gain access to my gun cabinets. It is a little messy right now as I was sizing some 255 grainers for my 45 Colt, and had just finished a box on one of my turret presses. Like I said, my second crack on the automator was a more pleasurable experience. The idea I guess is to start slow. I will post more pictures tonight. Later

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	99973Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	99974Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	99975Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	99976Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	99977

44Vaquero

I inserted a business card as a spacer this time. I am not sure if the photos are clear enough to show this. I have not tried it yet.
    And yes, this press was given to be with a broken lever arm. I ended up getting parts from a friend of mine that he took off of a turret press. I actually like it more this way. Picture show my black powders, 44 cal old army- Pietta, 36 cal Remington old army-Pietta, and Uberti 1851 36 cal. I got into cap and ball about a year or so ago. Love it. Cheers
    Last edited by Hankster1962; 03-19-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hankster1962,

Nothing wrong with rolling carts a reloading bench, in fact I think it's a practical solution.

I much prefer the older style cast aluminum arm and toggle. I always tell people most of lee's equipment is modular and can be swapped out like Tinker-Toys!

In order to use the new priming system you do need to swap out the ram it is supplied when you purchase the upgrade kit. I am about even on the use of the two set ups, sometimes I miss the old T-bar.

I did notice on your case feeder set up that you are using a small slider. I have always used a large case feeder for .38's I wonder if that makes a difference?

Name:	Finished!.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	99991

1858 Remington with gated Kirst .45 ACP conversion.

Boolit Bub
    44 Vaquero

You were right, I did have the wrong slider, and have changed it. Problem solved. I remember when getting it, I opened both packages at the same time and must of mixed them up. I had no idea what belonged to what. I do now.
    I used the bent Z bar, because the instructions said to do so. The packaging came with the straight Z bar. Other than the shape, what is the difference?
    Also see a nice Remington in your photo. Is that a Pietta? I was thinking of getting a conversion kit as well, but in 45 Colt. Why did you choose the 45 ACP over the Colt? any particular reason?
    Love semi's, but passionate about revolvers, especially single action ones. I own a Chapparal 45 colt (Colt Peacemaker clone), Ruger Bearcat, 357 Ruger new model, and a Ruger 22 convertible. I have 27 handguns, so I have a little of everything. Only shoot 4 o5 regularly.
    I see a dremmel tool among other things around your 1858, doing any work to it. Myself, I have been working on the sights of my 45 Colt, so I can get it to shoot POA. Getting there.
    A buddy of mine is calling Lee to see if he can get an Automator as well. You started something here. Wished Lee would re-invent the wheel and start manufacturing them again.
    Using this new press is becoming sweeter every day. Gotta love it. Later

Boolit Master
    Hankster1962,

I think that the length of travel is different on the Automator vs., the Pro-1000 hence the Z-bar.

Yes it is a Pietta, I own 2! Matched pair. I cut the reloading channel in the recoil shield my self on both of my 1858's. My reasoning was simple: .45 Colt is a big case and the 1858's will never see any bullet over 200 grains. So the .45 ACP was a perfect solution smaller case less volume to fill and I can utilize my existing cache of reloads. 200 grains @ 750 fps is nothing to sneeze at. I shoot the 160's @ about 900 fps. I can also use my .45 Cowboy Specials if I want a period correct look.

I should get an award for selling something they could not! LOL

Boolit Bub
    Lee still has these. Although when I contacted them they were sure to tell me that the warranty does NOT apply to this item.

So maybe something to keep for a collectible/unusual item, but I can't say I would want to run it hard.

Boolit Master
    Unknown:

Did you take a close look at what the Automator is exactly? The unit basically consists of a Steel cage, Steel ram and a Steel collar!! If you were to manage to some break it I would be shocked and amazed. With the exception of the bent Z-bar there really is not anything to break.

Although the Automator itself may no-longer be covered by a warranty (no surprise it's 22-23 years out of production) any other parts that are needed to make one work are still current production and would be warranted.

As you travel around this forum you will find a great many OP's using equipment that is 40 to 50 years out of date or more! My own lyman 55's were 15 years old before I was born!!! Star Reloading machines, Hollywood presses, RCBS GREEN machines etc.

Name:	WP_001185.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	100185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_001186.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	100186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Automator 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	100187

Boolit Bub
    I just purchased an Automator about two weeks ago, after reading this thread, then phoning Lee, just to find out they still had several in stock. Actually it was 44Vaquero that generated my interest in this item. It was perfect for me, because I wanted a progressive press but had no more room to mount any more presses, I had an old Lee Challenger press sitting idle most of the time, as I reload rifle ammo on a Rockchucker.
    After setting it up and learning to use, it works great. A buddy of mine from the club came over and checked it out. He asked me to phone Lee and see what they had left, as he now wants one as well. Lee told me they still had some in stock. My buddy ordered one.
    Other than the bottom plate and ram addition, it is totally a Progressive 1000. Any replacement part needed will be under warranty.
    Like 44Vaquero stated, I cannot see how anyone could break the thick steel frame, short of pounding on it with a hammer.
    Great unit, if your interested in one, get one soon, you will not regret it.

Boolit Bub
    44Vaquero

Remember the question I asked you about the curved or straight Z bar? I figured it out. The
    Bent z bar is for our automatons and the Pro 1000. I checked it out on my Automator. The bar is bent to clear the bullet feeding unit, the piece where the tubes are connected to. The straight one must be for the Loadmaster. I am still in awe in how good this Automator works. I also did some minor modifications to the sliders that I saw on line. Makes a difference. I queried it on line, some Mike dude had a very good how to on line. If you cannot find it I will send you photos of what I did. Later.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Unknown:

Did you take a close look at what the Automator is exactly? The unit basically consists of a Steel cage, Steel ram and a Steel collar!! If you were to manage to some break it I would be shocked and amazed. With the exception of the bent Z-bar there really is not anything to break.

Although the Automator itself may no-longer be covered by a warranty (no surprise it's 22-23 years out of production) any other parts that are needed to make one work are still current production and would be warranted.

As you travel around this forum you will find a great many OP's using equipment that is 40 to 50 years out of date or more! My own lyman 55's were 15 years old before I was born!!! Star Reloading machines, Hollywood presses, RCBS GREEN machines etc.

Name:	WP_001185.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	100185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_001186.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	100186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Automator 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	100187
    I know pretty well about using equipment that is out of date. My Dillon is at least as old as I am, and I don't doubt older. The best thing about it, is that even when it's 50 years old, it'll be covered by warranty. Dillon has already replaced, free of charge, some major components.

When comparing Lee to Star, Hollywood, and RCBS, it's somewhat like comparing a Volkswagen to Mercedes and BMW. They are in two different leagues. I'm not putting Lee down, I started on their equipment, still use some of theirs, but you cannot compare a Lee mold or press to it's RCBS or Lyman counterpart.

As for my Lee challenger press. It has less than a 10k worth of reloads on it. No swaging, no reforming, and almost 100% pistol reloads with carbide dies. At some point in that <10,000 reload life, the bottom linkage has developed a crack. Is the item still usable? Absolutely, and I do still use it. Is it broken? Yes.

So that is why I offer my advice. Anything can break. If I were looking to reload heavily, I would look at something else before this.

Not putting anyone, company, or product down.

Boolit Master
    unknown, it always amuses me when people trot out the Dillion comment. For equipment that costs 3 to 5 times what lee costs the warrantee should be excellent you have already paid for those parts in advance. Also, try and get parts for a 450jr or a 350 or a 450 all discontinued Dillion products and they may or may not be fully supported.

My comparison merely points out that many OP's on this forum utilize obsolete equipment, the depth and width of knowledge for older equipment is what originally drew me to Castboolits in the 1st place.

As for cracking the linkage a great many people have it's was a unfortunately common failure with the older Challengers. My Grandfrther just made his own toggle and others have replaced/upgraded to the newer style. YMMV

Boolit Bub

addition to my Automator

Here is my Lee Automator, to which I added a bin to catch my loaded rounds. This press works amazingly well and was well worth the money. The finest press I have ever operated, and a conversational piece as well. The bin is held in place using an aluminum piece of flat that I bent and attached to the bench using the C clamp on the bench already. To remove it, simply loosen the clamp. Cost was zero. Love this press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Hankster1962; 03-30-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Also, try and get parts for a 450jr or a 350 or a 450 all discontinued Dillion products and they may or may not be fully supported.

To be fair Vaquero, the same could be said for the Loadfast, target loaders, A series presses, Apex, etc. the list goes on for d/c stuff.

As for cracking the linkage a great many people have it's was a unfortunately common failure with the older Challengers. My Grandfrther just made his own toggle and others have replaced/upgraded to the newer style. YMMV
    True that!

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    r1kk1,

I guess it would have been easier to say "At some point in time all manufactures may choose to end support for discontinued products!". Thanks to the skills and ingenuity of a great many members here on Castboolits the obsolete, discontinued, unique and forgotten equipment lives on!

Boolit Bub

Video please

Could one of y'all with a working Automator please put a video up on YouTube of it in action and post the link here? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    ZigZag,

There are currently 2 videos up on Youtube and have been for some time. Just search for "Lee Automator". One was done by myself and the other was posted by another owner after words. Post #33 on this thread contains the link to my video.

Boolit Master
    Ain't that the truth Vaquero!

It makes me tired to see things come and go. I've seen many presses from Hornady and RCBS do this.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

No doubt an old thread but I noticed that Lee listed a dozen of the new, old stock Automators on their Closeouts page. For $40 plus shipping, I bought one just because I'm a Lee nut.

I do have Challenger press that I can use it on but also have three Load-Masters and a Classic Turret. The Automator is not really needed, I just want one.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog,

This thread was responsible for more Lee Automators being sold by Lee in the last 2 years, than were sold when it was originally offered! I take pride in that!

I purchased an extra one, just because it's a cool piece of kit to have on the bench and always provokes good conversation. It's action is more positive and consistent than the Pro-1000. Hopefully a few more will hit the streets and find good homes!

Thanks for the heads up!