MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: age of boolet caster's

Boolit Master

I turned 72 yesterday and have been casting since I was 22. I have actually learned more about cast bullets and casting in the last three or four years that I have been frequenting these on-line forums than I did during those previous 46 years.
    Tom Myers

Boolit Mold
    47 and been at casting for 15 yrs. No mishaps yet!

Boolit Master
    36 here, been casting since I was 15. Been shooting since I was 6 or 7. I still get a kick out of the bewildered look many give you when you tell them the boolits you are shooting were made from wheelweights!

Boolit Buddy
    46, two kids. Daughter 18, Son 16, been reloading for 10 and casting about 2 years

Boolit Master
    47, been reloading 32 years, casting for around 27, off and on. I am a gimp now so I can't work much, when I did work a lot I only had time to cast when I was between jobs, so I bought most of my projectiles then.

Now I have way more time and way less money so 99% of my shooting is with cast bullets. Finding wheel weights is becoming a problem. I have always thought 38-357 handguns were for girls, always shot 44's and 45's. I have recently bought a couple of used .357's for cheap, a m28 Smith and a SS Ruger Security Six, both 4" ers. By using .38 brass and 158 gr bullets I can stretch my lead supply and brass is very cheap.

My 12 year old daughter likes to shoot, but is not interested in hunting.

Boolit Master

Book'em Dan-o he hit the five-0. Started when I got out of the Army in 78.Have 3 brothers and none of them hunt or fish.Guess I'll leave my casting and reloading stuff to my grandkids if they can stop watching TV when they get older..

Boolit Mold
    33 yrs old. Shooting and enjoying firearms since about 8 or 9.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    36 here, been casting since I was 15. Been shooting since I was 6 or 7. I still get a kick out of the bewildered look many give you when you tell them the boolits you are shooting were made from wheelweights!

Lead is what uranium becomes after it's half life is spent..... Tell 'em you're shooten' depleted uranium and watch 'em back away

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Good question! And complex answers... First off, I'm 47. I have two girls, a 13 & 16 year old that live with their mother back on the East coast.
    Your perception that we're "aging" is probably right on, but I am seeing youinger blood coming into thhis hobby which is good.
    Other hobbies are suffering as well: The age of Ham Radio operators is steadily climbing, and service groups/clubs/organizations (like the Masons, Red Men, your local rock or coin club) are also graying. I had one 75 year old Mason tell me that he loes going to his meetings, as he's greeted by "how are you doing today, young fellow?". He explained that the treasurer is 95 years old...
    Society is regrettably changing (and not for the better). Kids are being dumbed down by schools, TV and other media are working their poison, and they are now much sedentary than kids in the past.
    Useless diversions like video games and TV are the rule, and instant gratification is becoming ingrained into society.
    The kids could just care less about doing anything that requires much effort or investment of time. It's so sad.
    No, it's not irreversible, but we have to take the bull by the horns and turn this around.
    Just my two cents worth.

-Tom
    Tom, interesting you mentioned the Red Men. I had no idea they were still in existance. If you, or anyone else, are interested in them at all, contact Preston, at Four Winds Indian Trading Post, St. Ignatius, Mt. They are on the web. Preston probably has the largest collection of Red Man memorabilia in the world.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    I'm 34. Been reloading since I was 15. Casting for a bout 2 weeks now.

Boolit Master
    69 & 1/2 and counting. Looks like I may be permanently retired this time. No more contracts in sight, shop is 99% finished, yard work is never done (but close). Got a good life and a great wife! Maybe now I'll have time for the things that are really important.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

I ran into a group of Red Men 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Tom, interesting you mentioned the Red Men. I had no idea they were still in existance. If you, or anyone else, are interested in them at all, contact Preston, at Four Winds Indian Trading Post, St. Ignatius, Mt. They are on the web. Preston probably has the largest collection of Red Man memorabilia in the world.
    Hi Waksupi!

I ran into a meeting of the Red Men back about 25 years ago in maine: They owned the building the Town Offices used, and had their meeting hall on the top floor.
    Even at that time, the members were easily in their 70's, and had a hard time getting a quorum. I remember them very politely asking me to leave so they could go through whatever it was they needed to to open up their meeting.
    It's sad to see groups and organizations that were once very prominent and popular decline.
    I'll look up their history on the Internet.

-Tom

I'll be 60 in June

Boolit Master

Just turned 58 have been handloading since age 16. Can't wait till I retire when I can do a lot more of what I love. We just built a new house and I was fortunate to have a gun room/loading room included in the plans with heating an air conditioning. Talk about an understanding wife I have.

I will be 50 next month.

Boolit Master

62 this July

As a teacher I'll second the thoughts that the school systems are doing a bit of 'preaching' against guns. I try to give both sides but not always able to. Most of my students don't have thoughts one way or the other (3rd graders)

Walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

21 been reloading since middle school and casting since I got my first revolver when I turned 16.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy

46(7)

I don't even buy green bananas anymore. (thankyou George Burns) I'm 46 for a couple more weeks. I've got 3 kids who think its perfectly normal to have guns in the house. I do have trouble with my wife occasionally. She seems to think that my guns should belong to her, even after buying her some to add to the ones she had before we met. Some people! In fact, she likes to refer to my Smith 586 as "She" (as if the transmogrification has already somehow begun).

I've taken my 20 year old daughter shooting a couple of times. She's more interested in the chocolate malts we stop and get on the way home but did have a good experience. The other two have been a little too immature for me to feel comfortable about taking them to the range. This will probably be the year they get to go, though.

I retired from the Army in '99 and have been a shooter/reloader since I was a kid.
    My family is pretty conservative in our politics and values. Even if these kids don't become as interested in shooting, reloading and casting as I am, they still aren't going to fall for that liberal garbage mentioned earlier in this thread. I can definitely see them becoming gun owners at some point in the future.

My father in law is a real big lib. He likes to tell people how stupid George W. is so I always ask him, "Well, what do you do for a living?" It kind of takes the wind out of his sails. GW might not have your personal needs first on his agenda but for Heaven's sake, don't try to tell me the man is stupid.

One day he (father in law, not GW) put a "Hillary '08 Iowa" sticker on the back of my Blazer so I got out a black marker and applied the old circle with a line through it. Anyway, our 13 year old daughter saw this and got a real kick out of it since she can't stand Hillary or Barack for that matter. Not all the kids these days buy into that liberal bs.

Paul

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    53 last fall. just started casting this year ( if you don't count sinkers and weight belts 40 years ago--still got the scar from dumping a coffee can of molten lead into a wet 1 pound belt weight mold ).

54, Shooting since 12, casting and loading since 21.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.