RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's got a magic idea for a pinch trim die that works in a progressive press?

Boolit Man
    Looking at the lee quick trim die online I'm not sure there would be enough material to make the threads. You might be able to find another die from someone else that can be converted. If you were to take the die to a machinist to put the threads on it would be very simple for them to bore out a hole that the cutter on the trimmer could go into as well.

What might be easier would be to take the threaded mount off the Dillon trimmer and bore that hole out and then thread it in 7/8 x14 to fit the quick trim die. You would have to look into the actual numbers, and make sure that the length would work. If you dont already have a trimmer you might be able to find someone who has one that is burnt out or even try Dillon as they might be able to sell you the individual part.

I ultimately went away from the trim die for a few reasons. I was working on my project at home as well as at the shop so I could get more done and once when moving my press I broke one of the trim dies. I bumped one of the trimmers and it broke pretty easy. Then when I went to purchase another one the only place that made them was out of stock. Now there are more people that make them but I just figured that if there is a possibility of something breaking and my not being able to replace it in a timely manner then I had to have something else. Also I found that with the trimmer being suspended above the die and only open space between the two I was able to clear chips better.

Boolit Buddy

Dimensions: Arch to Flat (length) 3.5"
    height 4" counting the protrusions that slide through the press
    thickness 1.25"
    Gap when ram is up to shellplate .458"

The Dillon motor housing has female threads. The top part of their dies have threads that measure .802 and have a thread count close to, if not, 20 tpi.

Boolit Buddy

I believe they Dillon top threads are 13/16-20 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The Dillon motor housing has female threads. The top part of their dies have threads that measure .802 and have a thread count close to, if not, 20 tpi.

Boolit Man
    Yeah, I think the threads are 13/16 x 20. That mount on the Dillon motor could be reproduced for pretty cheap. On a lathe it would be a very simple part to make. It sounds like the OP does not own a lathe but if he were to download the software I mentioned earlier and do a couple tutorials he could design the part in a few minutes and have it made. I still think that in order to do it properly he would need a toolhead that sits closer to the shell plate in order to at least place holes in the die for removing chips. Could probably get something like this toolhead and turn it upside down to give a few extra threads and then cut down into the toohead some to create a way for the chips to be pulled out.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/10/...magnumspecial/

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone seen the "deluxe" Lee power quick trim? Instead of the hand crank it has a drill adapter, and also chamfers and deburs. They dies for 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP ect. Might be a cheap way to tinker with the idea? I am sure someone more mechanically inclined then myself could come up with a way to mount a cheap router or similar torque motor? The dies/trimmer may need slight modification in order to trim short enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVdi7tOSA0

Boolit Buddy

Its what I am using for my tests. I just bought a drill press off craigslist that I want to mount above my press and leave it on for the duration of the trimming.
    Some drawbacks so far are brass buildup and that's about it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Has anyone seen the "deluxe" Lee power quick trim? Instead of the hand crank it has a drill adapter, and also chamfers and deburs. They dies for 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP ect. Might be a cheap way to tinker with the idea? I am sure someone more mechanically inclined then myself could come up with a way to mount a cheap router or similar torque motor? The dies/trimmer may need slight modification in order to trim short enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVdi7tOSA0
    If you were able to set it up so that you could clear the chips and possibly power with something other than a drill, this would probably work out real well for what xman is trying to achieve. I'm not sure how easy that would be to set up however.

Boolit Buddy
    Impossible to do so.
    I have tried and with a luck just for about 1000 cases after that the die become loose because the trimmer shaved the inner edges and the trimmed case looked like chewed unevenly!!!
    The die was cleaned and lubed frequently with milled holes for vacuum cleaner and thread for locking nut.
    You need something with ball bearing otherwise won't last and it is not worthy in relation with die cost.
    I was switching the drill on by pedal switch and hold it by hand all the time.
    The solution seemed simple just to heat thread the die but no way to go, because it has inner plastic insert which won't survive the process.
    Just my two cents for further development which is ongoing right now and I will keep you informed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150310_170442_resize.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	144381

Name:	IMG_20150310_170326_resize.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	144380

Name:	IMG_20150301_091112_resize.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	144379

Boolit Buddy

Excellent feedback here. Similar results although I haven't worn the die out yet

Boolit Buddy

So in effort to remedy the plastic bushing problem, I got a bunch of 308 muzzle break timing shims and set the height for cutting which did two things in my case, alleviated the plastic heat warp after about 100 rounds and allowed me to vary my cut length in increments. So far this is a win-win. Thought you'd all like to know. Now Its time to adapt it to work on the progressive.

Boolit Buddy

I'm not posting yet, but I think I have a solution. A few more tests and tweaks and I'll be there.

Boolit Buddy

Ok, so I'm about 85%.
    I am using the 38/357 toolhead previously mentioned. I have a highly modified 6.8 Dillon trim die that is screwed into the 357 toolhead which is also highly modified with a vacuum port and machined for lower clearance to the shellplate. I need to counter bore the trim die one more time because my cases are coming out at .775 which is close but not quite.
    At the end of the day if my cases turn out at .725 trimmed, chamfered and deburred, life is good. Currently I can run the trimmer fully automatic in the 650 modified hardware, but I have to chuck the die in the lathe one more time to take the bore down another .075 or so.

Boolit Buddy

Ruined my die in the lathe. Started over today... Wish me luck.

Boolit Buddy

Xman, are you looking to use the actual Dillon trimmer?If you are open to spending a little money fast and friendly, I think, makes their honey badger trimmer mount. It uses Dillon dies but with a 10-25k rpm Bosch router body and an end mill. This may help With your clearance issue as the trimmer can actually go in the die body. I use them for trimming 300 black out without any hesitation. As fast as I can pull the lever it trims. I eventually want a few more so I do t have to reset them every time.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop...er-adapter/34/

Boolit Buddy

I have this pretty much tuned in now, but i'm trimming a mite too long. I tried boring the interior of the case trim die but that stuff is really hard. Does anyone have a suggestion for boring out the die without ruining it? I tried to ask CH42 to just bore it deeper for me but it seems everyone is anti getting fancy with their stuff and taking on one lowly custom job. I'm really about to give it up here unless someone thinks they can make a die for me that is slightly deeper on the end that the trim bit goes in. I really don't need much at all, but the loads i prefer to swage would benefit from being cut a bit smaller...
    EDIT to be specific, I need the neck of the case to protrude further out of the inside section of the die so the router bit can actually cut it shorter.

Vendor Sponsor

I might be able to help? I haven't read the entire thread though so I'm not exactly sure what it is you need but I have done a lot of work to various dies and if it is a matter of simply trimming a little off the top of yours...... it might be possible.

Send me an PM with a quick break down of exactly what it is your trying to accomplish and what you need.

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I'm certain I can help.

PM sent

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/