Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Primer Issues in S&B 44Mag Brass

Boolit Mold

Primer Issues in S&B 44Mag Brass

Hi I'm new here but not to reloading ran into a issue with S&B brass trying to install primers. I was reloading a test batch. The first time I reloading 44mag, at first all was well about 10 cases in the primer wouldn't seat with a quick glance I thought they were small primers like 45ACP small & large so I put them to the side and finished the other cases with no issues. Then I went back and switched to small primers and they would just fall out, looks like the pockets are 0.207 and the primers are 0.211 this is with calipers so it's only close I didn't bother to get my snap gages and micrometer. has anyone ran into this before.

Boolit Master
    S&B has issues with their brass. Funny they make SAAMI spec primers for reloaders, then go and use odd sized ones in their loaded brass. I have been burned on 2 types of S&B brass I bought for the specific purpose of reloading. I was having trouble getting 22 hornet brass, LGS had super expensive hornady or cheap S&B, well the flash holes are to small, gave up screwing with them, just chuck em now. And I bought 5 boxes of 7.62x54r, again for the brass, only rifle primers wont fit, not deep enough. Guess i can use them with pistol primers for subsonic, but I will consider such things in the future when buying S&B ammo.

Boolit Master
    S&B brass is notorious for this issue. I had the same issues with 9mm and 45auto.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I recently reloaded some new/current once fired Sellier and Bellot 44 Magnum brass had a friend purchased.

The primer pockets were extremely tight.

Even though they were not staked or crimped in any, I still broke the edge with a chamfer tool first, giving myself a bit of a tapered start approach.

I made sure the primer pockets were completely clean as well. A primer pocket swager, or uniforming tool would have likely helped lots.

Using a bit more force than I regularly do, and wearing safety glasses I managed to seat the primers (CCI #300 LP) completely without any issues, but they were a very tight fit.

It's more of a hassle to reload S&B brass, if the pockets are always this tight.

However I don't often find, or get gifted with new once fired 44 Magnum brass for free. Alternatively the cases may last for many loadings before the primer pockets ever become loose.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Buddy
    "It's more of a hassle to reload S&B brass, if the pockets are always this tight"

Always tight and the brass seems to be harder as well. Usually feel when a S&B round goes through the sizer - noticeably more effort than other brands.

Sometimes, the pockets are tough on decapping pins as well.

Boolit Master

Same experience as Bullwolf - using a chamfer tool helps greatly.

Boolit Master

Ran into the same thing with some 38 spl, good for dummy rounds.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Buddy

I sort them out, when I get enough to run a batch I tune the swager on the RL 1000 and load as usual. They are tight thats for sure. Havent lost a case since going to this procedure.

Moderator Emeritus

The main difference is the square corner of the primer pocket of the S&B brass. I load them regularly, but I use a Ram Prime for all my priming, which eliminates most priming problems. I don't find the snug primer pockets a problem, and actually like the brass.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Mold
    I am just going to set them aside until there are enough to resize the primer packet I tried my military crimp remover on them but still tighter thin I like using Federal large mag primers #155.

Boolit Master
    I've a bunch of S&B 45 auto brass from a buddy who shoots a lot but doesn't reload. When he was done shooting he said if you want them help yourself. I do use the pointy end of the case chamfering tool to break the edge around the primer pocket and create an even bevel. All I have loaded and that's a bunch have shown no problems using one of the benchrest type primer seating tools. And with the 303 british cases besides using the chamfering tool I've found using the primer pocket uniforming tool makes a great difference also in seating primers. Looks like we both developed our own solutions to the problem. Frank