Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: csb-1, 9mm question.

Boolit Master

csb-1, 9mm question.

Hello all, im thinking of buying a several pounds of csb-1 for loading 9mm. Ive seen that most tests involved rn boolits seated much longer than mine. I load the lee 120gr tc boolit at 1.080 oal to feed well in my glock. Has anyone ran this boolit with this powder at near this oal and gotten velocities around 1100 or so? I fear that its bulkyness may not allow enuff powder for this. I hate to buy it and not be able to use it in this caliber as i have plenty for my other calibers. If yall have chrono data, id love to see it. Thanks much.

Boolit Buddy
    have you read page 2 of this thread (about csb-1 9mm loadings)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-Commercial-5

Boolit Master
    Read it but their using 115grainers and longer oal. Not exactly what im looking for. My boolits are right at 125gr and 1.080. As you know, in 9's, a little bit shorter can make a big difference. Im on a budget and i cannot afford to use my powder money to buy stuff i cant use, hence my inquiry. If i could find one pounders of it locally, id just test it myself but havent seen any around here. Thx though.

Boolit Master
    Well, if anyone around the fw, tx area has any of this powder, id be happy to pay for maybe a quarter pound in a baggie to test some 9mm loads. Any bites?

Banned
    TWC,
    I am in NW Dallas and have some CSB-1 if you can find any closer. Have been working with it in 357, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. Have not gotten to 9mm.

Boolit Master
    Well, i have a buddy that goes to church in the dallas area. If i cant get over there in the near future, i bet he can. Hes in the area sundays and wednesdays. Thanks for the option.

Boolit Bub
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-1-mini-review

A shameless plug for my own thread. This may help ya!

Boolit Master
    Thx bremraf, good to know.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by twc1964 View Post
    Well, if anyone around the fw, tx area has any of this powder, id be happy to pay for maybe a quarter pound in a baggie to test some 9mm loads. Any bites?
    I've got a 4 pound jug, all I've done so far is load development on 45acp, 44 special loads in 44 mag cases, and 9mm. So in total it's just under 4 pounds, but I'll part with it for $75. I bought this at the Dallas Market Hall show last year from Magnum Materials out of TN when I couldn't find my favorite pistol powders. I've since found my favorites and no longer need this. The jug has load data for 9mm, 38 special, 40 S&W and 45acp, and I'll provide data from what I tested including Chrono data.

Boolit Master
    Thanks corsair, but i really dont want to get a bunch of it. It may not work well for my puposes and i dont want to have several pounds of the stuff sitting around. Again, thx for the offer.

Boolit Master
    Standard powders are becoming available now.. so you might just want to hold out for a bit longer.. Surplus powders like this generally show up and are sold out pretty quick.. so if you want something specific, it is best to wait a bit longer and just get the more consistent canister grade stuff..

Boolit Master
    Sargenv, i think you are right on that one. Ive got an extremely limited powder budget for now. Im looking for some w231 and really want to get some of the be-86 powder. W231 gives me good velocities in my 120tc loads in the 9 and super accurate plinking loads in 38 spl. The be-86 stuff looks really promising on paper though.

Boolit Mold
    Hey twc1964, I love that Lee bullet - it is my "go-to" 9mm bullet for Luger and Largo loads! I shoot 4.2 grns of CSB-1 in various cases with that bullet (mine also cast at 125 grns, even though Lee claims it's 120 grns), I load mine to 1.055, a bit shorter than you are suggesting, and all my 9's (HP, Star, Colt, Ruger) just love it! I'm getting about 1,095 fps with that load and OAL. I'd say you're good to go at 1.080, but depending on your gun you might have to bump up the charge to 4.3 (still within range) or maybe 4.4 if you've got your heart set on 1,100 fps - but I'd start at 4.2 and go from there!

Good luck!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    RE: CSB-1, the ETR7 powder ... they say it is comparable to TiteGroup. Well maybe, but not in a 44-40!
    220gr bullet - 30" rifle, 82 degrees & 41% RH:
    5.2gr TiteGroup
    Avg Velocity - 975 fps
    STDev - 22.9 fps

5.2gr ETR7 ... CSB-1
    Avg Velocity - 820 fps
    STDev - 8.6 fps
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I found CSB-1 to be closer to Universal in Pistols and International in 20 gauge loading.. Since it's not particularly a fast burner (like Bullseye or Titegroup) I don't think that the 1.080" loading will negatively impact it.. but if you are concerned, I'd load 5 as a minimum charge, and work up in .2 gr increments..