MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMCD Products

Thread: how much are wheel weights going for?

Boolit Mold

how much are wheel weights going for?

A while back on my way home from work I stopped at every tire shop and inquired on wheel weights and left my number with many of them I finally got a call today. I plan on meeting with him tomorrow but I don't know what is fair price I do know that a tire shop near me sells a bucket full for 30 dollars I just want to know if that is in the right range. I want to make sure that I am giving him enough money that he won't forget to call me again but I dont want to over spend either. I know that this is going to vary regionally so I'll let you know that I am in Houston Texas if that helps any.
    All Rights Reserved!!!

Boolit Master
    That seems to be about the going rate. Some have been much higher, some are lower.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it's a full bucket, and you've had to canvass many tire stores before one sold to you in your area, then yes, that will have to be a fair price. Depending upon how full, size of the wheelweights, etc. a decently full bucket will yield 100 lbs. or over of wheelweight metal. A really full bucket will strain or break the wire handle.

Since that's within hailing distance of the scrap (not market) price, and considering your personal situation, I'd say that's fair. Say at least 33 cents a pound of recovered lead. One penny per 200 grain bullet. Commercial cast .45 ACP's are going for, what? 30-35 dollars per five hundred? I haven't bought commercially cast for awhile.

Boolit Mold

Thanks

I 'll bring 30 bucks and a few cold beers that should do the trick huh
    All Rights Reserved!!!

I bought some tires for the wife’s car the other day. The fellow had 3/4 of a bucket of WW sitting there. I offered him $20. He said that he wanted $50. I passed. I think that I’ll be buying my tires elsewhere next time.

Quote Originally Posted by si vis pacem, para b View Post
    I 'll bring 30 bucks and a few cold beers that should do the trick huh
    Donuts are better, they can eat them now! Of course this is on top of the $30.00

Boolit Bub
    FWIW, I bought a full to the top 5 gal bucket yesterday- that is typically 130+# that will yield maybe just over 100# for $25.. The thing is, in two years, it will be hard to find any At ANY price since they supposadly will quit manufacturing them in lieu of zinc or steel.. My problem is that I shoot a lot of BPCR & at 12 bullets to the pound, it does not go far ( well the bullets usually go 1000 yds. or so!)!
    First in Last Out!

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto on the full bucket for $25.00. Hope to get another one this week or next at that price.