MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MCD ProductsRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Confessions of a watch snob

Banned

I saw several SKX007 seiko's on amazon and several had reviews that said it was a 'knock off', not the real deal for a seiko.

any links to the real deal?

I also looked on Seiko's site and found the 'recraft series' automatics some for about $200, anyone know about them?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I saw several SKX007 seiko's on amazon and several had reviews that said it was a 'knock off', not the real deal for a seiko.
    Unfortunately you really have to watch, no pun intended, for knock offs on Amazon now. It's almost as bad as eBay and started when they allowed third party sellers. Don't get caught by a deal to good to be true.

Banned
    You have to know what you're buying and pay attention. In other words- READ THE DESCRIPTION AND SPEND WISELY !

There are Seiko's made in Japan and Seiko's made in other places (Singapore, I believe ). They are all.... SEIKO's but some people claim the Japanese made ones are better. I don't buy into that. The Japanese ones cost more but they are basically the same watch. I think a lot of the criticism comes from the sellers of the Japanese made Seiko's that can demand higher prices for the same watch and don't want customers to buy the less expensive models of the exact same watch. Another source of criticism comes from people that pay way too much and then disparage others that got a better deal on a REAL Seiko. It's embarrassing to pay too much and the easy out is to claim you purchased the real deal and the others purchased a knock-off. Saving face doesn't necessarily mean you got a good deal.
    NOW, that being said; buyer beware. There are knock-offs on the market and if you are not careful, you could buy one. THE BURDEN IS ON THE BUYER ! Caveat Emptor. Take your time and buy carefully.

The Japanese made Seiko SXK007's have a "J" on the end of the model number "SKX007J" and the face of the watch will have the inscription "21 Jewels". Now, all SKX007's have 21 jewels (bearings) but only the Japanese made ones have the "21 Jewels" inscription on the watch face. Just because it costs $100 more doesn't mean it's better.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.

I'm glad you guys resurrected this thread, I was reading along and them realized the dates were from 2013. Doh! I'm on my 4th Seiko in 30 years, my 1st a divers lasted me from 1984 until 2000, Since then I've gone through 2 and am on my current one (Divers 150 Automatic, I didn't find any other model #) but I am not happy with it, my others were quartz and kept very accurate time. Not this one, it will gain 10 minutes in 2 days. It stays there (I'd say indefinitely, but it ticks me off so much I always change it to the right time). I've been thinking of a new one. Perhaps around Christmas I will treat myself to a new watch, hopefully one that will be as good as my other Seiko's. It will most likely be another Seiko Divers (even though I haven't done any diving in 30 years) and I prefer the red/blue bezel over the black. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master

Y'all ALL know that Seikos are made in Oklahoma, Right?

Spell seiko backwards Okies, yup, now you know

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    For a "Pepsi" dial (red & black) you want the Seiko SXK009.

All mechanical watches are a bit peculiar in terms of accuracy. I have some that are better than others but they all need to be re-set occasionally. You can get a mechanical watch adjusted by a watch maker / repairman and often improve them. My Seiko actually keeps time better than one of my more expensive Swiss watches. I have an acquaintance that has a newer Rolex Submariner that doesn't stay within a minute a day and I know another guy that has a 30 year old Rolex that is spot on. With proper service, a high quality mechanical watch will last decades. You have to take the good with the bad.
    Some people want the ease of a quartz watch and some people want the durability of a mechanical watch. There are always compromises and I've made mine.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I am addicted to my pocket watches, I have one I carry all the time that has the 25yr warranty gold plating on it, and was made in 1917. Have two more that need to be fixed, with a date of 1879 and the other early 1900's (That one belonged to my Great Grandfather, which I knew until I was in my early 30's).

I love my pocket watches

Moderator Emeritus

I'm right there with you Artful, and when I'm off work (as I am right now, probably for a good long time), I don't even need to know what day it is

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    More power to you watch geeks ! Someone needs to keep that industry alive
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Mechanical watches, pocket watches or wrist watches; are functional tools and works of art.

Boolit Master
    I'm a timepiece junkie. I somewhere around 50 watches of various manufacture and love them. the Majority of mine are Seiko, Citizen, or Pulsar. The last 3-4 I bought were Solar models that need only light. I also have several self-winding, and numerous clocks around my house, but I'm too lazy to go count them.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Banned
    Dframe, I'm guessing you have a weakness for Detectives, Cobras & Agents as well........

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Outpost75 - can't go wrong with that gear! Like that Bulova.
    Have you checked out Maratac Bands? http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm
    Yes, that's what I bought for a replacement band. CountyComm has them for $10 http://www.countycomm.com/zulufourringindex.html
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.