Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Dry firing Uberti 1873?

Dry firing Uberti 1873?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything definitive, so I thought I'd ask: Any risk in dry firing 1873 Uberti?

Lovely rifle. Just wish I could shoot it better!
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

A snap cap would be good insurance.

The odd time isn't going to hurt anything if the rifle parts are all in decent shape.

My own feeling is that it's not a great idea to dry fire any gun excessively. Even the ones that are labeled as safe to do so will eventually risk peening the metal of whatever part the firing pin runs into that controls the extent of the travel. Or the shock of being stopped so abruptly compared to the cushioned stop from the primer risks all that shock eventually snapping the firing pin.

During working on the guns such as during cleaning or for testing the trigger pull I don't fret over it. But I draw the line at performing dozens of dry firings in a single session such as during dry fire practice unless I were to fit a snap cap with some sort of plastic or hard rubber "primer" to act as a shock absorber for the pin.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Banned

The gun to watch is a Marin. One dry fire can beak the firing pin.
    The new ones with the cross bolt safety can be dry fired with the safety on.

Boolit Master
    once in a while no. but if you are trying to work on your trigger squeeze no. take a case punch out the primer put a piece of rubber in it and dry fire away.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Just buy a set of snap caps and dry fire away!! No worries at all.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I never dry fire any gun. Always use snap-caps. Just me, I guess! The are cheap insurance to prevent problems.

banger

Thanks fellas.

Boolit Grand Master

Snap caps, if you must. My brother did a fair bit of dry fire practice with his M70 and I had to clean up the peening on his bolt face with a drill bit manipulated between my thumb and forefinger. Rifles are designed to be fired, not dry fired.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    I did a quick search and didn't find anything definitive, so I thought I'd ask: Any risk in dry firing 1873 Uberti?

Lovely rifle. Just wish I could shoot it better!
    I dry fire mine routinely wihout any issues. I might be wrong, but I figured lever action rifles are designed to be "fired until empty". I can't count anyways, so I just keep firing until I hear "click". I do the same with my 92/94 Winchesters and my Marlin 336. Zero problems to date and I just don't worry about it. I use a pellet rifle for high volume practice in my basement. It helps me much more than dry firing and saves wear and tear on the "good stuff".

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The "dry fire" that occurs when you lever gun (or revolver or carbine) is empty is part of the game. Should not hurt the gun as long as you do not keep doing it dry. Real "dry fire" is some clown repeatedly cocking and pulling the trigger knowing there is nothing in there just for the fun of hearing it go CLICK. That is where you (and I) should use snap caps.....repeated intentional dry firing.

Just a little protection will add a lot of life to your firearms. Has always worked for me!

banger

Good advice on the snap caps. I visited the LGS yesterday with the intention of buying some, but I forgot them in all of the excitement of my lady friend purchasing a Ruger stainless cowboy style revolver in 22 long rifle, with a 22 magnum conversion cylinder. I saw a Uberti Walker there that was calling my name.

Oh well! I guess I'll have to *force* myself to go back there to get them, and while I'm there, to look at that Walker again. That is a huge pistol. Though I favor the Dragoon, the one there had what I believe was too much end play on the cylinder.

In actual use I am very pleased how well this rifle shoots. Starline brass, 160 gr Lyman RNFP bullet, 13.2 grains 2400, CCI standard primers. The sights are just right on, out of the box. Neat rifle.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 06-15-2015 at 08:56 AM.