RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inventory - Reloading Supplies

Inventory - Reloading Supplies

Was messing around the reloadingroom today. When going in the different places that I have brass, powder, primer and bullets stored, I found out that I have a lot more brass than I thought that I have. Also, I store the full cans of powder in a different place, found out that I have a couple different types of powder that is outside of the reloadingroom.

I guess when I started reloadingagain, I bought whatever I could to stock the self. The good news is, the only think that I am some what short on is bullets and maybe some rifle primers.

Now to take an inventory of what I have loaded.

Not asking what you feel comfortable with bu how accurate is your inventory count?

I'm lacking in the inventory effort - I routinely forget what I have and tend to buy duplicate stuff!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't keep an inventory either. I have a set of shelves by my bench that has powder and brass stored on it. My primers and jacketed bullets are on a shelf over my bench, my cast bullets are in labeled cigar boxes under the bench, my range brass is stored in plastic coffee cans in the adjoining store room and my lead stash in in milk crates in the corner of the shop. Its pretty easy to glance at it and see what I have. I could improve on this a little, and some day I might!

Boolit Master

I have no method; always a surprise when I run across something I forgot I had
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I have a pretty fair inventory of what I got.
    I have it written down in a little book and do count things, [up to a point] this is how I know what I need.
    50 pounds of powder does me little good if I only got 500 primers.
    a bucket of boolits is almost useless for a pistol I only have 50 pieces of brass for.
    I don't do a super involved end of year clearance inventory but I try to make an effort at having the amount of brass I need for the gun [depending on it's purpose] and checking that the stuff to load for it matches.

I pretty much know what I have on the shelf. When I get down to a predetermined amount I try to replace it asap.

Moderator Emeritus

I try to keep at least a two year inventory on hand at all times. Sometimes I'll get a little bit ahead of that in one item, or even several items, but that just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, so I don't worry about it.

During the last draught, when everyone was complaining about not being able to find primers or powder, I just kept loading as usual. I foresaw what was coming in the last one, having gone through the same situation in 1968, 1994 and 2008, and I vowed to never be caught short handed again, and I wasn't.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

I keep a spreadsheet of everything... keeps me on track and I know exactly what I have at any given time.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Reloader Reference computer program. Pretty good. Does the bullet/brass/power/primer inventory and a gun inventory as well Which could be helpful in a theft situation.. Also inventories loads and keeps a tally (if you input the data) as to what remains. And it's free.

May want to check it out....
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Buddy

I keep an up to date Excel inventory sheet for everything concerning Casting, Reloading and Firearms.
    Know exactly what I have at any time.
    Learned to keep track and maintain a reliable inventory after "Slick Willy".

Boolit Buddy

I keep a mental inventory and it’s mostly accurate but, I am getting old and occasionally I forget something. Most recently 800 Hornady 44cal JHP showed up from the twilight zone.
    L.E.C.

I have ammo can for each caliber of Handgun I use regularly
    when the can feels light I fill it back up. I like to have at least
    a years supply of primers on hand in each size (LR,SR,LP,SP)
    And at least 500 cases for each caliber of pistol.
    Powder has been the sticking point lately but it's getting better.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

In the safety deposit box, I have a thumb drive with a total description and serial numbers of each gun I own, but I haven't taken as much pains with supplies. I try to process brass and boolits in bulk when the cans/bockets get light. Powder and primers were bought much cheaper than today's prices.
    As above, Slick Willy's lesson was well learned. I wont be out of anything again in my lifetime.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    No comment

Boolit Master

I agree ^^^. I got what I got.

Boolit Master

I purposely don't keep track. It is kinda like Christmas when I find something I forgot about. I found a box of 9MM Makarov ammo I didn't know I had. It beats opening a package of underwear and trying to look thankful.

I keep an accurate inventory of my powder and primers and loaded ammo, I keep a good inventory of boolits on cast in old trail mix buckets on my bench and cast when I see Im running low.
    but brass and boolits/bullets Im finding little stashes I squirreled away all the time that I forget about I agree finding them from time to time is a nice suprise.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I keep an inventory of all my reloading equipment and supplies - but admit I just completed it this spring. I'm 62, have some health problems and got to thinking that if something happened to me, my wife would have no idea of the cost/value of what I have - if nothing more, the inventory will give her a good idea and hopefully if something happens to me, she'll get something out of it and not get skinned on it.

I was surprised when I did my mold inventory that I had a couple of duplicates - I probably picked up the "extras" when i found them at a bargain price. My brass . . . that's a lost cause. I inventoried it and of course have brass for guns I don't even own - as well as dies - "just because I might' some day. LOL

I also inventory my primers/powder just so I know when I'm getting low on something - even if I have it though, I still buy some when I can get what I like so I have enough to last.

If nothing more - an inventory will surprise most folks as if you're like me . . . you "forgot you had one" every so often. It will also show you just how much you have tied up in this addiction . . . I mean hobby! It can be a pain to do an inventory of everything . . but once done . . if you take the time to add your purchases or delete what you use or get rid of . . it will be a great help to your spouse/SO if something happens to you or to your Administrator.. Or, if you should have a fire and your things are destroyed . . . you have something to hand the insurance adjustor and aren't "guessing" on what you lost.

Boolit Bub
    I don't keep an inventory, but I do keep a "Need to buy" list.

Gus

Boolit Buddy
    I kept an accurate inventory list of arms, ammo and supplies at all times.

But then the tragic boating accident occured... just yesterday actually.
    Yep, right over the deep part of the lake too.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women