WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat ?

Boolit Mold
    In the time I have been testing these shenanigans, when a sharp throat was encountered that tended to shave our precious .001-.002 oversized coated bullets, leading showed up. Oddly it was in the end of the barrel and appeared remarkably similar to traditional lube running out. Neat. That could be over come by switching to a bullet design with a less sharp, or smooth, transition to full diameter like a WFN, WLN. LSWC were no bueno with a sharp throat.

Most interesting. I have chased this around a bit , but doing so totally clueless. So possibly a round nose bullet would be exactly opposite of a sharp edged swc???

So possibly a round nose bullet would be exactly opposite of a sharp edged swc??? Beagle333 and others use coated SWC, aparently no problem. I have a berreta that leaded like crazy with LLA, recluse - using a TC mould. PC solved the problem. I think it has more to do with getting the drive band into the throat smoothly than just shaving on a sharp edge.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    It seems to me that the OP does not do much indoor shooting. The smoky difference between PC boolits and petroleum based lubed boolits is like night/day. Time spent is a variable, my setup utilizes holed trays that hold 165 pc coated boolits cooking at a time. I have a shooting buddy that uses an old kitchen oven and cooks 3 trays of 500 each at a time. That's 1500 PC'd boolits in less than an hour.
    The information is here for you to use or ignore. Opinions are like.........well you know.

Vendor Sponsor

Attachment 1418806.5x55 5 shots 200 yds at over 1900 FPS
    Attachment 14188110.2" 300 Blackout at 200 Yds at just over 1900 FPS

Attachment 141882and the ringer 358 Win 200 yds at over 2350 FPS...(I believe it was about 2372 FPS or so but don't have the figures right in front of me) 4 in left then adjusted scope for a center shot

Now First 2 targets are with Gas Check Bullets but no gas check installed .. last target (358 win was WITH gas check)

I found that as I got at about 2000-2100 FPS I needed to switch alloys from 50/50 to 98/2 and use a check to get better accuracy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Why the argument? If you don't like it and don't want to try, then don't!

Clean dies, clean fingers, clean barrels, increased hardness, less smoke....what more do you want!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ..........some people just love to stir the pot.

Boolit Mold
    I think it has more to do with getting the drive band into the throat smoothly than just shaving on a sharp edge. I will have to ponder this a bit . I have started in on some pc coatings, struggling a bit with uniformity, had some success, but also some leading with 148 g. wadcutters. I actually have had better accuracy with 125 t.c. bullets. Obviously more work needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    ..........some people just love to stir the pot.

...or shake the #5 tub

Banger, I do read. I read when buying a truck, tractor, gun, tv, powder, cast boolits ect. My only observation was time spent and performance less than the size and lube boolits. Now if I only shot 15 feet I would only need a rock. If I shot in the house I would pi$$ off the old lady.
    You can make your claim and I respect that. Others have made there's and I respect that. It seems about 50 50 to me. I'm not into pretty and I just don't want to waste time when I don't have it to waste. Stir the pot ! Yep, been known to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Ok. Some one explain these things , that are in threads on this forum. Sizing then washing in something to remove the oil. Buying a compressor and pc gun. PC all over the reloading room. Overspray tags on boolits that need another sizing to remove. PC not covering and needing a second coat. PC in the eyes. Performance not as good as a sized and lubed boolit. I know some will say performance is good or better. I'm not talking minute of paper plate here.
    It is a hobby and what ever you like is fine. On this forum there's as many cons and pros. Maybe someone can give me a good reason to try it sometime. I will always be open minded. Until I find a performance advantage I will do it the old fashion way.. lol Use my extra time shooting.
    Some people can mess up a wet dream, so reading the downsides are pretty useless IMO. Read the positive stuff, those guys are doing it right. Like most things, it can be done simply or expensively, easy or hard. FWIW, coat then size. No extra steps, no cleaning bullets or other such krap. Several ways to PC w/o a sprayer that work. The wet method seems easier IMO, more like Hi-tek, but I haven't tried it yet. I did test a buddy's bullets he sent me. Accurate enough to make quick headshots on a std IDPA target @ 15yds.
    Hi-tek or PC, you are still likely sizing, so the only extra step is baking & that is just a timer & swapping out trays for an hour. Worth it for smoke free bullets for indoor shooting or shooting at night or for higher vel applications where conventional lead bullet may be an issue or for gas guns where you don't want crud in the gas system. A cheap version of expensive plated or jacketed bullets.
    Last edited by fredj338; 06-11-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

You could have coated 50 bullets in the time you spent reading this post just saying.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    RP - - - - --I think you need to lock this thread and end the mess!

banger

Boolit Master

Sometimes we fight just so we can make up. LOL
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    To PC or not to PC. He never asked the question. An opinion made up totally by doing some reading and not doing, at least he did some reading. Innovative is not a personality trait I would associate with the OP (not a guy I would want in my engineering dept). On the other hand I do enjoy shooting my gas guns w/o any leading issues at all and no added cost of shooting plated or jacketed bullets. In very little time I can poop out 500 or so coated bullets to shoot at velocities exceeding 2000 FPS. But to each their own I guess.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    Ok I'm trying to pc .what is the best powder for 9mm-45 acp shake and bake .did a lot of research ( so I am really mixed up ) have tried .so I think it went on pretty good,but got some bugs to work out.all my research was on h.f.powder but now think everyone is using smokes powder.old shooter and loader New caster very new to computer.Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'm not into pretty and I just don't want to waste time when I don't have it to waste.

Then why reload at all? There are others who will make and sell you brand new or remanufactured ammo.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    RP - - - - --I think you need to lock this thread and end the mess!

banger
    Please.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Go with Smoke's powder...the best you will find.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Ok I'm trying to pc .what is the best powder for 9mm-45 acp shake and bake .did a lot of research ( so I am really mixed up ) have tried .so I think it went on pretty good,but got some bugs to work out.all my research was on h.f.powder but now think everyone is using smokes powder.old shooter and loader New caster very new to computer.Thanks
    HF red works just fine. I use it all the time for many cal's. So do MANY others! Smoke's powders are finer and of a different formula and do stick better for you guys in high humidity areas. I use his blue to mix with HF colors to make every color of the rainbow for both ESPC and BBDT.

HF red is just a convenient (stores everywhere!) and very inexpensive way to get your feet wet in the process. If you have coverage problems, you are probably in horrible high humidity and should look into some of his powders.

There are many many uncontrollable and unpredictable variables to this "voodoo black magic" thing we do with coating boolits in a plastic tub!

Keep at it. You will get there!

bangerjim

Funny how some get there shorts in a wad when they don't get there own way. LOL Who knows. I might start painting boolits someday . I will if I ever see an advantage. LOL