Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Line boxes

Boolit Grand Master

Line boxes

Im getting ready to make a new line box or cleaning cradle up and am looking for ideas. My original is a cheap harbor frieght tool box (8"x16") with the cradles bolted on the ends so that lid will still open. I want to get a little fancier and a little more room. Im thinking 12" X 18" handle in the center seperating the 2 sides making them around 5 X 16 each. A lid or cover on each side. and possibly a removeable tray on one side. The cradles will slip into ends when in use like a stake pocket and be able to be stored in one side of box when not in use. What I have in mind . I would like input and ideas on what to add not do. Pics of yours would be appreciated also. Thanks alot for the input

Boolit Master

embarrassed to tell this but my cleaning kit is in an old sewing kit, the wooden kind that folds out both ways and has 4 trays on each side as well as a big space in the bottom. picked it up at a yard sale for 10 bucks and it works great.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine looks like Lincoln Creeks in this black powder cartridge forum under range boxes except about 6" longer and the handle is a 1" dowel. All my cleaning stuff for a dozen single shot rifles is in there. I've had it at least can 10 years and wouldn't trade it for any thing.

Boolit Master
    Check out the cleaning/range box thread below.

[/QUOTE]

Boolit Buddy
    I had grand plans to make a spiffy BPCR box but as much as I hate wood working something fell into my lap at work. One of the carpenters made an upright box to host someone's coffee maker. That person moved with their coffee pot but left the box.....

I simply glued and nailed on the lid then cut it off on my table saw about 2 1/2" wide for a hinged lid. That gave me enough space for a plastic storage box in the lid area. I made a lift out tray with some scrap wood I had laying around. My gun supports are some oak boards cut down with an old leather belt contact cemented inside to pad the rifle. The mounting wood was slotted to fit and glued and screwed to the sides of the box. I smeared some stain on it and hit it with a few coats of sealer and I am done.

Total cost for my chest buckles , carry handles and other stuff was around $25 so I cant complain. It will not win any beauty contests but it sturdy as hell and functional.

NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Boolit Grand Master

Well what I have so far figured out is 11 3/4 wide 22 long. this gives a 5 3/4" area down each side of handle roughly 17" long. A stake pocket for the cleaning cradles to slide into on each end. There will be a hinged lid on each side of the handle. Im debating on feet under it. I have some nice maple here in boards 3/4" thick to use for this project. Will be blind dowel and glued joints. Im also thinking a removeable parts tray on one side maybe both. Sides Im thinking around 8". Now to decide on the finish probably several coats of try oil or othrer oil finish. wet sanded then steel wool applied and finally hand rubbed. I may even splurge for brass hinges for the lids. I can turn up matching knobs for the lids easy enough.

Boolit Master
    Put the lid on one side only. Lots of stuff don't need a lid and might be taller than your box. I would not do feet - they bust off and catch on stuff.

3/4" maple is heavy and overkill I think. I would not go thicker than 1/2". If your bullets will be on just one side, make that side narrower to balance better. Just some suggestions based on my experience.

Boolit Grand Master

I didnt think about feet busting off. Thats one of the reasons Im building the new one. my converted ones one sides feet did break off. So no feet. Thanks for keeping me ahead of myself.

Banned

Boolit Bub
    Brent, ain't that kinda unruly dragging that stump everywhere with you?

Old Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150625_210220-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	142928

Name:	20150625_210229-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	142929

Name:	20150625_210244.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	142930
    made box in 1995 for my .50-90
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 06-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    I just let my Shera shlep it up and down the firing line e .