Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Newbie question!

Boolit Bub

Newbie question!

I've been using LLA as a lube for my 45 acp loads, which worked ok. I don't like the mess so I started pan lubing, which worked perfectly the first time I did it. Now, the lube just will not stick in the grooves. Do you guys find it sticks better when when the lube is still a little warm and soft, or nice and firm? I'm punching the boolits out with my fingers, as my kake kutter sucks and isn't worth using whatsoever. The lube is a beeswax, petroleum jelly, and paraffin mix which gives me absolutely zero lead and little to no smoke when fired.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you may have a bit too much paraffin or vasoline in the mix. I didn't mess with pan lubing long, but had better luck when lube was a little soft. Warm or add bees wax. Or try powder coat, you won't go back! I would send you a couple samples to try if you are hesitant.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Man

I also used LLA many years ago and quit for similar reasons. Since I discovered Ben's "BLL" tumble lube mixture, I have returned to tumble lubing wherever feasible. It's a huge time saver, I just put 100 bullets and a few squirts of BLL in a coffee can, roll for 30 seconds and dump on a (well waxed from frequent use) sheet of folded over aluminum foil. It's been a real game-changer for me, it might be worth checking out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-L-Liquid-Lube

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the offer jcren, I've thought about powder coating but haven't looked too much into it. How does the sizing of the bullet work for powder coating? Would I have to take my .452 down to .451 and build the .001 back with the powder coat? I really like the idea of having colorful bullets, as it will definitely set me apart at the range!

I found the answer to my original question by trial and error, I threw a spit of LLA in the mix, a little more paraffin to harden it some, and set it in the fridge for a while until it was solid, punched the whole cake out without missing a single groove.

Boolit Master
    I pan lube with Emmerts (Bees wax, Crisco, Canola oil) and the same thing happened; first time was perfect, then it went south. Some lubes need to cool a little longer, some need less. I think groove type (squared, rounded, beveled) plays into it, too.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Actually, the powder is so tough you just coat as cast then size. It is slick enough to slide through push through dies easily and you can't even tell try are sized. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150315_144601.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	141773
    This one was sized, loaded and I tried to catch it in 5 gallons of water, but it buried 16" into the clay under the bucket. That stuff is tough.

Boolit Bub
    That is tough, do you use the oven bake tumble method? Or did you purchase the actual powder gun to get those results?

Boolit Master

Shake and bake. Tupperware, asbb's and a toaster oven. That is powder by the pound wet black.