MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 165 gr load for '03 springfield

Boolit Man

165 gr load for '03 springfield

Hi
    I know, I know, probably been flogged to death, but
    just recently acquired some 165 grainers, flat base.
    Tried them last Sat, with 25grs of RX7 as per lyman manual.
    Well at 50yds, I would have been more accurate if I had thrown them over pulling
    the trigger.
    Have thought about tumbling them in Lee a lox.
    But thought I would put it out there, to see what kind of responses and what kind
    of accuracy everyone has had with there recipes.
    I am shooting 100yds, and in a 1903 Springfield.
    Look forward to some feed back!
    Cheers everyone!

Banned

flat base? as in no gas check I'm assuming.
    I would look for some of Ben's posts on his plain based shooting adventures and swipe his loads.
    anything he uses in the 8 mauser and 308 type cases will for sure translate over to your 30-06.
    in lieu of that, back the velocity down to about 1300 fps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    flat base? as in no gas check I'm assuming.
    I would look for some of Ben's posts on his plain based shooting adventures and swipe his loads.
    anything he uses in the 8 mauser and 308 type cases will for sure translate over to your 30-06.
    in lieu of that, back the velocity down to about 1300 fps.
    x2

I wouldn't back off that far with RX7 for lower speed. Use a pistol or shotgun type powder from established safe loads in a reloading manual or from some other trusted source (like Ben). Always double and triple check any listed data using multiple reliable sources. Not just from the internet.

If guys would just list about where they lived, there's plenty of seasoned type guys here that would be happy to help you out or act as mentors.

25g RX-7 will get you close to 2000 fps, that's what I got with 170's in a .308 with 26.6g

I agree with yodogsandman, you should try 10 grains of Unique/Red Dot/Clays or any other fast shotgun powder and see what you get.

Boolit Buddy
    Hot for a gas check bullet, over the top for plain base. Might want to be sure that the bore is lead free before the next range session. I would think 6 gr Bullseye, 8 gr Unique, 10 Al 2400, 12 of IMR 4227 would be where I would start from. Keep an eye on neck tension. Most dies size for jacketed and will be 0.306" +/-. That Springfield will like something 0.310-312" in lead, so a neck ID of 0.308-0.310" would be better.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Agree with all of the above. Bullet needs a gas check for that load.

Boolit Master
    I ran a good amount of plain base through my A3 with trail boss powder. They where ok accuracy wise I was not looking for more than milk jug destroyers at 50 yards. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/relo...w-recoil-loads
    You can find the data/instructuons in link above. I have really come to like the H4895 reduced loads even for Jackets bullets.

Boolit Master
    Can anyone recommend an accurate load for 03a3 with 165 gr Hoch using 4759?

I haven't shot any cast boolits out of my M1903A3 yet, but have through my Tikka T3 SS Lite. Currently the best load for that has been the Lyman 311041, CCI 200 LRP, 27 gr RX7, and an OAL of 2.950". As soon as I can walk again, just had knee surgery, I will be chronographing the load. So far, predictions for the 22" barrel have this load at about +1800 fps. I shoot for accuracy first, velocity second. So far to 100 yds, the accuracy is between 3/4" and 1", not too shabby I think. Hope yours works well for you. Good luck and stay safe.

Boolit Master
    For 170-190 grain cast bullets in my 1903A1 I like around 18gr. SR-4759, give or take depending on the bullet. 22 gr. of the same powder is the next highest level that gives equal accuracy. That 3-4gr. gap in between doesn't shoot worth beans. Weird.

Boolit Master

The 22-gr 4759 sounds good - worked fairly well in my 1917, but I didn't do much testing.
    And I recommend TL, either w/Mule Snot (LLA) or Recluse (45-45-10). I think you will be surprised...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    IMR 4227 works well in my 03A3 with 165 gr. GC bullet. Notes not in front of me, but 22 or 23 grs. comes to mind.