Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crummy news...

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Reading your story, and the stories of others brings tears to my eyes. I feel the pain. I had to put my "Puppy" down two years ago this month.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beau in car.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	141041

Boolit Master

Attachment 141059 yes it's hard,sure miss my Sammie-man.2 months now,I feel your pain brother.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Author unknown...

Boolit Master
    Rainbow Ridge .......... that's pretty special Mary ..... thank you for that!

As I read the many posts, I saw some of my own experiences and some tears and some reflection ....... and even something I had not thought of as much as I should have .... that of taking a pet to a vet office to be put down ....... and the related stress.

I ranch so when it comes to dogs I figure I am pretty lucky ........ I've always have at least one and usually two in our family at all times ........ (I never have been fleet footed enough to catch a cow much less bite them on their heals) and our stock dogs are much better at it than me ..........

Not to make less of you all's attachment to your pets ....... these stock dogs get right in your hip pocket and your heart real quick .........

What I mean by "hip pocket" is that they are so good at reading cues ....... that they know what you are going to do even before you do .......... it's scary!

Now please take no offense meant to members that have hung on during extraordinary health issues with their pets ...... but I really have leaned towards not going to great lengths to buy some time for our dogs when they are of an age that you expect serious health issues to begin to pile up.

I am hurting enough in having to let go ........ to add more suffering from them hanging on ...... is more than I can bear and for me at least, it diminishes from what their life was really about.

Take my Jack ....... an Aussie ........... when he could not hear ..... and cows would drill him .... he was informally retired ........ and that was fine with me ........... but he got sick once and the vet medicated him and he bounced back and we got another year and a half ....... but the second time you could see he really fell off a cliff ......... the Doc figured renal failure then ........ and we had him put down. When the Vet got to the part about the meds keeping him alive but not happy ...... that was it. My good friend and work mate of 14 years that only ran from one thing in his illustrious life ..... a dead black bear ......... he needed me to allow him to proceed to that better place we now know the name of.

We got over the pain and in fact as I like to keep two working dogs ... an older one and a younger one to learn from the experienced dog ........ our pup was already here and my wife and I immersed ourselves in the joys and trials of raising a spirited Border Collie as we fought back the tears of losing Jack Jackson!

That "pup", Sage is our senior dog but at eight years now ....... is just peaked ......... and her "side kick" Dixie is still learning from her.

Dixie is part Catahoula and you just have not lived until you are around some of that breeding ...... WOW!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the OP and his wife and other significant family member (pet) at this trying time!

Three 44s

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

Boolit Master
    This is why I am not scared of dying, I get to be with my boy Arrow again.

Boolit Master
    They do,nt want much from us,just love,walks,nice food.In return we get the finest companionship.I have been where you are a few times in my long years and each times it has broken my heart.You have the support and best wishes of all who love their animals.You have done your best for him and given him a good and happy life.My thoughts are with you.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Wesson is getting his meds and remains alert and pain-free. He is walking better (the steroids are obviously helping)but still requires help going up stairs. His appetite remains good. He is still the friendly, happy affectionate dog that he has always been. He still insists(read: DEMANDS) his treats and watches my wife prepare meals on full alert to snatch any morsel that becomes available.

We understand that his time is numbered, but as long as he is not suffering we will continue to struggle on.

When he begins to suffer, then we will do what must be done.

I will make a posting at that time, if able.

Boolit Master
    I am so happy he is happy, he wants noting more than to be with you, one of my only regrets in life was to not be with my guy Arrow when he passed on at the vet.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had to go through the end of life with 3 labs... last one was so smart that she knew a dozen hand signals, would sit when told steady and not move until told okay... people tried to get her to move with food, a live pheasant, her favorite toys... she would look to me and I would shake my head no, she would sigh then sit and wait. If I shook my head yes or said okay she was a streak of lightning to get whatever it is she was focused on.

She let me know when it was time, I had a friend who was a vet so he came out to the house and she drifted off to sleep. many memories of her in the front of the boat while fishing. She would sit and watch my line and as soon as I set the hook she would stand on a seat looking over the side to find the fish. She knew better and never jumped in unless on command except one time, line broke right next to the boat and she was bound and determined to retrieve that walleye and she did! Came swimming back with it in her mouth and a look on her face that was priceless.

Boolit Master

I was raised that you do your own dirty work and you don't hire someone else to do it for you. As such, I have always hated when I've had to put a pet down. When it's obvious that simply living is too painful for them, all you can do is make it as quick and painless as possible. I grew up on a ranch, so I've had to put down livestock and pets. I don't particularly like having to do either. One of my dogs is around 13 years old and although he doesn't get around that well anymore and is missing a few teeth, he keeps his weight up and doesn't appear to be in any pain. Hopefully, when it's his time to go, it will be peacefully in his sleep.

Boolit Master
    My Vet told me, "She's tired john, Let her go.."................

Boolit Master
    Mary, you had to bring up the Rainbow Bridge story. It really chokes me up. Came across it 8-1/2 years ago when we lost Sammy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SammySnow1.gif 
Views:	80 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	141217
    Sammy was white Malamute/Arctic Wolf mix. We rescued him when he was about 18 months old and he was with us for 11 years.

We rescued Smokey, a 135 lb. grey wolf/Belgian Tervuren mix from the same shelter a few years later. We lost him after only 4-1/2 years to a dognapper who broke boards out of our back fence to allow Smokey to get out so he could snatch him.

I'm greatly heartened to learn of Wesson's improvement and continued enjoyment of family and home.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    My wife and I have been through similar, three times now. Each dog has adopted us and stayed 10, 15 and 16 1/2 years. We currently have a 6yo golden cross that is waiting for another dog to come into our life. It is not an easy decision to make. to those who say, "...it's just a dog!... " I reply, "...You are just an idiot... " Do not apologize, your dog has been a member of you family and will be missed. But, there are other dogs waiting to adopt you and keep your life full.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm sorry for your loss........

I was raised by a weimaraner ,Chip , he was 7 when I came along . He tough me how to pick the sweetest ripe tomatoes and the perfect carrot ,he also let me take the fall for the Christmas cookies . Unique came along about the same time as me . Those 2 taught me how to walk away ,who to watch , how to watch them w/o making them uncomfortable, how to make them uncomfortable, some people just need to be bit to check their loyalty, fight if you have to but always stand your ground even when the big boss says enough. I was almost 7 when Chip moved on ,my Dad never hunted chucker again unless they happened out in front of us deer hunting . Unique stayed on hunting ducks and dove until I was 13 or so. Then we had that poodle all 12 spring loaded lbs I just never bonded with him maybe it was because he was so "high maintenance". My 1st grownup dog was Purdy ,a sprigwieler, she would hunt with me 8 days a week 20 hrs a day rain shine, mud , snow, rain . She wasn't real keen on sleet and hail . She once marked and picked up 11 birds from 10 to 40 yd of open water on a 25 degree morning. 1 Saturday morning as I was headed for the door "come on let's go" ...... "no I think I'm just going to stay here next to the fire today". Damned 10 yo anyway . We had her 2 more years her 12th season was a no starter. X2 had a couple of dogs and I liked them well enough ,but they weren't the go for a ride sort . After our parting it took me almost 3 yrs to have Remmy find me . Wild as a March hair,she has taken after her father and is ruled by her nose ,he is an English or German shorthair,but she is a goofball like her mother ,a 80# Rott. Now yall got me thinking we got to get some hunting done I probably only have about 10 really good years left with her.

Ya scondrols got all crying over dogs now .........
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

My wife and I have been married 23 yrs, we started with great danes the first year of our marriage to date I've done this 6 times as large breed dogs have short life spans. I still have 2 now that are getting to age . But we have loved them all as a part of our family . I always hold them til the end and have never regretted doing so, they were my pals , its the last thing I can do for them at that time. I feel for you and your family and hope it works out for the best.

Boolit Master
    I was just reading about Danes and other breeds that have relatively short spans ......... My brother, his wife and sons have a Beranese Mt. Dog that's just coming one year. She is really a kick! But as much as I get attached to dogs ...... I'd have a hard time having to say goodbye soon!

Even the working dogs like our stock dogs get a fair run at 13 or 14 years and that goes by like a flash! They may not work cattle that long but our retirement plan for them is pretty good ......... as long as they are happy ...... they are in like Flynn!

Three 44s

Moderator Emeritus

I have engraved that Rainbow Bridge story for several friends(unasked, they had a simple wood cross and I thought they would appreciate this) on a 12" square granite tile(for free) that they have used to mark special pets graves. Looks better on all black granite, this happened to be a leftover tile from a kitchen engraving job

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Mary, you had to bring up the Rainbow Bridge story. It really chokes me up. Came across it 8-1/2 years ago when we lost Sammy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SammySnow1.gif 
Views:	80 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	141217
    Sammy was white Malamute/Arctic Wolf mix. We rescued him when he was about 18 months old and he was with us for 11 years.

We rescued Smokey, a 135 lb. grey wolf/Belgian Tervuren mix from the same shelter a few years later. We lost him after only 4-1/2 years to a dognapper who broke boards out of our back fence to allow Smokey to get out so he could snatch him.

I'm greatly heartened to learn of Wesson's improvement and continued enjoyment of family and home.

Boolit Master
    lost brian my gsd/red setter in a very similar scenario at 13 feel for you

Boolit Buddy
    This one will break you down, just to warn you, but it seems fitting.

It's called "Labrador" by Walt Gabbard. It will make sense to most who have had dogs, but if you have or have had a lab in your life, this will really get you. You'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYv...ature=youtu.be