Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC quantity question

PC quantity question

Can someone tell me what the average amount of PC is needed to coat say hundred boolits of 45 acp, using Smokes powders?
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

No more than about a tablespoon for 300 dry tumbled.

EDIT: Sorry, just confirmed that the Yellow Lee 3.1cc powder scoop I use holds 0.63 teaspoon, and I fill it below the top, so around 1/2 teaspoon for 300 boolits.

Boolit Master

Yup, a little goes a long way.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't waste your time trying to figure out how many boolits/# of powder you get. Just coat them. BBDT is the most cost-effective way to do it. Very little waste.

I prefer ESPC which gives a perfect even coat on every boolit every time, but does waste a little powder that lands on the NSAF. But powder is cheap!

banger

Boolit Master

One guy said the 1.6 Lee dipper for a hundred bullets. I just toss a half tea spoon in and start shaking and some times it coats more than a hundred.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    I use one Lee 1.6cc scoop per coat for 100 ea. , 120 thru 125 gr. .356 9mm Boolits however I do two coats. When I received my pound of clear from Smoke I placed it in two 2.1 cup - containers., neither completly full more like around 80%
    I have coated 2,815 ea. of said Boolits and the level in one container has barely gone down enough to be noticeable
    I use a Cool Whip container setting inside of another container attached to the top of a vibrator tumbler .
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Quote Originally Posted by 45fan View Post
    Can someone tell me what the average amount of PC is needed to coat say hundred boolits of 45 acp, using Smokes powders?
    Are you asking so you can figure out cost per boolit or so you apply it correctly? If the latter, you simply pour the unused powder back into the container and use it for your next tumbling session.

Boolit Bub
    Agreed, less is more. I find too much powder seems to inhibit a good coating. I use a flour sifter over a funnel to retrieve the excess powder...just dump the bullets right in the sifter. I only do about 200 at a time this way though...wouldn't work if you're doing mass quantities at one time. I can't believe how far this stuff goes. Probably done 2000 bullets from 8 ounces of powder ....it seems like the powder just keeps going and going. Looking at what I have left I'm thinking I could do 10000 plus bullets with that amount of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Are you asking so you can figure out cost per boolit or so you apply it correctly? If the latter, you simply pour the unused powder back into the container and use it for your next tumbling session.
    My question is two fold, first yes so I can apply it correctly using the dry tumble method. Mainly though I am thinking about posting in the want to by thread asking if someone would sell me a couple colors of smokes PC to try it with a couple small batches (say 50 rounds each) and I wanted to know the quantity I would be asking to buy. Now I have an estimate of a teaspoon per color being more than enough. I have an airsoft gun so I have black pellets and who doesn't have an empty cool whip container laying around? Before I spend the money to buy a pound or so of PC and the expense (though a minimal expense I know) of getting a dedicated PC baking toaster oven I want to try a few rounds and see if I like it and if it works for me.

Thank you gentlemen for answering my question. Love this forum everybody is always very helpful, great bunch of guys.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Vendor Sponsor

about 1/8 of a teaspoon .. but you need to start with at least a 1/2 teaspoon ...shake and twirl then take bullets out .. you will have much powder left over for the next batch
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    and the expense (though a minimal expense I know) of getting a dedicated PC baking toaster oven I want to try a few rounds and see if I like it and if it works for me.
    You do no not to bake these inside and that once oven is used for Boolits it can never be used for food again?
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Absolutely that's not an issue. Buddy of mine has a small oven he uses to heat kydex to make holsters and such. Already got it lined up to use his oven to try it. Thanks for the concern though.

Boy's I'm doing something wrong. I might get 500 per pound !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Done maybe 600+ and my pound looks like it wasn't touched. Smoke said 6K to 8K for tumbling.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Electrostatic and dumping or cooking the overspray, maybe?

I'm just getting going with this & using HF red, I've done about 200-250 w/ 1tsp. a little goes a really long way.
    Last edited by fredj338; 07-22-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I'm going to try the shake and bake. I'm just using too much powder . I'm really not sure this will work for me. My moa went to mobd ( minute of barn door ). Going to chrony some to see where I'm at. My lubed boolits are fine.

First loaded shake & bake.

Attachment 146154

Boolit Master
    How much of the powder sticks to the air soft BBs? Can you just separate the boolits from the air soft BBs and leave what ever powder is left and the air soft BBs in the container for next batch?

Motor

Motor,
    I have different tubs for each color that I leave the BB's in after removing the boolits. The residual powder stays in along with the BB's until the next coating session. I have had zero issues in this method as long as the tub is sealed.

Tenbender,
    Your MOA of MOBD can be solved by working up new loads with PC'd boolits. What worked with lubed or tumble lubed boolits may not be the formula for PC boolits.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.