RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 327 Fed Mag Lovers

Boolit Buddy
    I too caught the 327 bug, not a gp 100 but a single 7 with 7.5" brl. Been looking at moulds, what is the general consensus on bullets, is a gas check needed with the 327 or not? Has anyone tryed the noe 135 with the nose for the single 7? thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Gas checks are not necessary, but I have not had good results with boolits heavier than 105 grains in limited testing. Heaviest boolit I personally have tested is the NOE 311-465, which runs 125+-grns with gas check. It grouped twice as large as did similar loads with 100 grain boolits. Brian Pearce lists a few loads for heavy boolits, but he did not indicate, at least as I recall, which if any, produced accurate results.
    When my eyes co-operate, I have been able to shoot several honest 1 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards with the LBT 32-100 SWC and 11.8 grains of H-110. Most other loads have been slightly larger, with Unique and 2400 also being pretty accurate.
    Power Pistol, which Pearce touted, has been a bust for me, with groups much larger than the others in limited testing.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Ohh hey I forgot to post when I got my SP101.
    Love it, already have 500 rounds through her. No issues at all, well ok maybe a bigger grip would be nice.

Family photo!!!

A little long for this holster but I can get by with it in a pinch.

Boolit Master

I just acquired a 105L mould from Tom at Accurate. It's basically a 313631 in a plain base. It looks like it's going to be a dandy. I've also had pretty good luck with 31108 and Milhec 314-640, in 115 and 100 grain weight. I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy between gas checked and plain based.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    NOE has some moulds up that look good for the Single Seven. 85gr with short nose. PB or GC

Boolit Bub
    Try the Accurate 315-130F. I had Tom shorten the nose on a existing design and add weight to base to come out at 130 grains. Its made to fit the single seven, fits the cylinder length perfect as I measured the clearances before ordering. Just the right clearance on length. Wanted to try a heavier weight and it's very hard hitting, and the most accurate bullet I've tried in it. I'd recommend getting it in gas check if you want to push it hard. Which is what the .327 is all about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1432421972177.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    250kt thanks for that info, What alloy and load did you use in your pic? Thats a good looking bullet. I ordered the 135s in plain base to start with, I figured I could always get a gas check tool for plain base bullets if i needed it later. I'm not looking for max fps, if I can get 1250 or so with a plainbase bullet and ww's with out leading I'll be happy. But if I do order another mould I'll give the 315-130f a hard look. Thanks......

Boolit Bub
    That was water quenched wheelweights. LBT lube, 30 cal gatorchecks, sized .313
    13.0 W296/H110. Averages 1434 fps. That load is right up at max in my gun. Probably over any book max, if you could find book data on that heavy a bullet. I would start around 9 or 10 and this at your own risk. Shot through water bottles and into snow bank. Every recovered bullet showed that perfect mushroom. Who needs Hollowpoints to expand?!!! Have some more cast up of a commercial lyman2 alloy I need to test. Also, I happen to have the Lyman 85 round nose mold and it is extremely accurate with a small charge of bullseye for target/plinking. Very accurate in my 32 h&rs also. Hope this helps, be safe!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the SS Ruger BH 8 shooter to go with my marlin 94 32 HR Mag. Never have gotten around to sending the Marlin out for the 327 face lift. A one of these days project.

My BH liked the 113 gr Cast Performance GC with 12.6 gr of Enforcer. As I recall this chronographed at 1700+. It was also accurate to 50 yards.
    Last edited by rhouser; 05-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 250kt View Post
    That was water quenched wheelweights. LBT lube, 30 cal gatorchecks, sized .313
    13.0 W296/H110. Averages 1434 fps. That load is right up at max in my gun. Probably over any book max, if you could find book data on that heavy a bullet. I would start around 9 or 10 and this at your own risk. Shot through water bottles and into snow bank. Every recovered bullet showed that perfect mushroom. Who needs Hollowpoints to expand?!!! Have some more cast up of a commercial lyman2 alloy I need to test. Also, I happen to have the Lyman 85 round nose mold and it is extremely accurate with a small charge of bullseye for target/plinking. Very accurate in my 32 h&rs also. Hope this helps, be safe!
    130 grain boolit with a load that is only .2 grains under max for Hogdons load for a 100 grain bullet? Brian Pearce went as high as 13.5 with a Speer 115 JHP, but this boolit is 10+% heavier than that. This load may be at the ragged edge, or maybe past it. I'd truly start a ways back of this powder, somewhere's around 11.2 grains H-110 and work up from there. The only source of data for a boolit this weight that I know of is the Brian Pearce article in the February 2015 Handloader magazine and he only used 3 powders, Longshot, Power Pistol and Accurate No. 9.
    On the upside though, so far I have tested loads with power Pistol, Unique, ww-231, 2400, 296 and H-110. The H-110 loads have been the most accurate. If I could lay hands on some, I would dearly love to try some AA No. 9 but that has been hard to find hereabouts for many years, even before stupid people in large numbers proved that 50 million people can be wrong by electing our current president.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Wow...did you read the whole thing??? I said that load was max in MY gun. And also recommended that anyone should start around 9-10 grains, and that at t heir own risk. Someone asked about the load and I told what it was. Its fine in MY gun. And yes I know what hodgdons max is for a 100 grain...that's for a jacketed bullet. Cast bullets will usually be at a lower pressure at the same powder charge...the handloader article did not even test h110/296. As I said there is no real data for this weight bullet, so I worked to max in my gun, which was actually a little higher.

Boolit Buddy
    Rintinglen: I had my SS Blackhawk .327 8 shooter with a 5.5" barrel for about 2 weeks before I figured out the undercharging in the 327 mag load books.

Remember that the SP101 is a significantly weaker frame with a shorter cylinder that what came on the BH SS.

My COL length is governed by the length of my cylinder with heavy cast GC's bullets.

I called Ram Shot powder tech line about using enforcer well beyond their published limit due to the very low pressure published with their Max Load for that powder. I was told that the amount of enforcer I could use was only governed by my case capacity and cylinder length in the BH. He further said that the velocity of the load would only be limited by barrel length.

I chronographed 113 gr Cast Performance GC bullets in excess of 1850 FPS using my SS BH, starline brass, ramshot enforcer, and a mag pistol primer.

I backed down to 12.6 grains for best accuracy in my gun.
    Just my 2 cents.
    rch

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post

A little long for this holster but I can get by with it in a pinch.

Looks like you're about to wear a hole in your pants.

Simply Rugged will make a Silver Dollar Pancake to fit that one.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0530152124.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	140929Shot black powder in her today. 15.5 goex 3f. Chrono'd it too. Averages 854 fps with the Lyman 85RN. Now she's all cleaned up.

Boolit Buddy
    250kt, I never even THOUGHT about using a little BP in my BH 327. I am going to have to add that to my list of things to try. rch

Boolit Buddy
    So, I've been away from town at grad school for the last few months, and while I was in town today, stopped by my favorite LGS. I chatted for a bit with them, and then inquired as to how long it would take to get one of the new SPs in .327FM.

The owner reaches down behind the counter and pulls out a green Ruger case, and says "I ordered this just for you a few weeks back. You're the only avid .32 shooter that comes in here, and I figured you'd be interested in it."

Darn right I was!!!

So now I need to find a range in the same zip code as my grad program and test the sucker out. I've got a ton of .32 loaded for my Solo Siete and .32 H&R, from .32 S&W L to some hot .327FM.

Not a bad stop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I imagine the LGS will be seeing me tomorrow. Now if Ruger would make a 77/327.......................................
    Boy do I ever second this!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll say again, my SS Blackhawk 8-shooter would really match up nicely to a Ruger #3 carbine, or my "Project 616" S&W with a Marlin 1894 in 327 FM might be nice... in fact, if I could have both rifles to go with the 2 revolvers, I'd be able to "mix and match" and be ready for "all occasions." Of course, I could do as I did on the 616 and custom build the carbine and rifle, but then we'd be talking about a huge investment of time and money, so maybe I'll just sit and dream!

Regardless of the platform, it is my firm belief that the 327 FM is going to be a fine choice for the hand loader, and especially if you cast your own, will be both economical and flexible. You will be able to duplicate about anything from a 22 LR power up to the equivalent of 32-20 or 38 Spl +P. Like Rock-n-Roll, the 327 FM is here to stay!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in a .327 rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Took the new SP out this weekend and was quite pleased. I didn't have much time for anything more than hitting a gong at 25 yards, but no issues right out of the box, so I'm happy.

I do like my DAs better than SAs, so the SS is likely to be cleaned up and put away for a long time. I do like that the cylinder is longer on the SP. I had to be real careful with my 100r RNFP loads on the SS to make sure they weren't too long. Now it is no longer a concern.

A bigger grip is the only thing I'd change, and that is easy. Other than that, a good little shooter that my 6 year old daughter can handle with .32 SWL loads.