WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone recently purchased a Lee Load-Master ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    see, my main desire for the LM is to deprime before tumbling... the case collator makes me warm and n fuzzy inside knowing i can swiftly deprime dirty brass and clean. the turret will make it easy for me to change calibers super fast, and judging by how cheap powder measures are i could just set up each turret for xxx caliber and store away ready to load... so other then the shell plates and the $13 per turret (ebay) it seems cheap and simple...
    Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Loadmaster (based on my experience with it) but depriming before tumbling seems a waste of a progressive press. A creative individual could adapt the case collator to be a stand alone bench unit and use a cheap single stage press for depriming. If you want a press just for depriming before tumbling, then the LM is probably not the best choice. If you want a cheap progressive and also intend to use it for depriming, then that is a different story.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

i should have known better then to ask about 1 press and only 1 press. im not shocked it turned into a debate. over the last couple years ive noticed its all or nothing with a loadmaster, you either buy a lee boat-anchor-master or you buy an amazing reloading press.

i think what ill do is buy one and test it straight out of the box. since 2012 ive been looking at all the stuff people fine tune and had a few ideas in mind. in the back of my head i always wonder if the problems are user error or misunderstanding. like the primer system not (priming) itsself. silly things like that.

today my pressure washer wouldnt start, took me a few minutes to realize it was out of fuel.

i didnt go online and say honda pressure washers have fuel system issues =)

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Loadmaster (based on my experience with it) but depriming before tumbling seems a waste of a progressive press. A creative individual could adapt the case collator to be a stand alone bench unit and use a cheap single stage press for depriming. If you want a press just for depriming before tumbling, then the LM is probably not the best choice. If you want a cheap progressive and also intend to use it for depriming, then that is a different story.

last part was right on target.

i reread that post and it is poorly written. (i was at work)

Moderator Emeritus

Question for a loadmaster owner who also has the perfect powder measure. How well does it work? Probably ordering a Loadmaster next week but I hate the auto disc setup. I put a PPM on my turret press because of that, added a spring for a return instead of the goofy chain, it works pretty well.

see, my main desire for the LM is to deprime before tumbling... the case collator makes me warm and n fuzzy inside knowing i can swiftly deprime dirty brass and clean. the turret will make it easy for me to change calibers super fast, and judging by how cheap powder measures are i could just set up each turret for xxx caliber and store away ready to load... so other then the shell plates and the $13 per turret (ebay) it seems cheap and simple...
    I'm going to stay away from brands on this.

Depriming is the dirtiest process of all. Using your primary press for depriming might not be the best idea. Dirty presses tend to have more issue than clean ones.

I also like to deprime before tumbling. I deprime on a small Lee C press with a Lee universal decapper. It get's dirty as all get out; but I don't care. It's cheap and easy to replace. The primary presses stay much cleaner as a result.

Now if you're going to deprime before tumbling, will you be using a universal decapper or your sizing die. Using the sizing die before cleaning sort of defeats the purpose, because now your're running dirty brass through your sizing die. If you use a universal decapper, then you will still need to size. If you size on your main press, you're putting clean brass into a dirty press. Generally, dirty presses don't prime as well as clean ones, or put another way, if your press is prone to priming issues, dirt will not make it perform better.

Plenty of people deprime on their main press; but there are many others who deprime on a different press to keep the main press cleaner. Lots of choices.

That's probably the most trouble-free process within the LM. I still look for the reflection of powder off the inside wall of the brass as it circles around. I have never had it not drop powder. The two brass screws started to loosen once. I noticed loose flakes of Titegroup around the top of the turret. Tightened the brass screws and didn't happen again. I do like to do a spot weight check every once in a while. Been loading tons of 200gr 45acp with 4.8gr of TG lately.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Question for a loadmaster owner who also has the perfect powder measure. How well does it work? Probably ordering a Loadmaster next week but I hate the auto disc setup. I put a PPM on my turret press because of that, added a spring for a return instead of the goofy chain, it works pretty well.

People are immature. They get emotionally attached to "their" favorite car/boat/plane/rifle/TV/whatever and take it personally when someone doesn't share their enthusiasm. I don't care about that. I'm using already-primed 45acp in mine because the brass I have is 10+ different headstamps, with SP and LP and maybe even a few 45GAP in there as well. It's a shame, but I have had to size/deprime on a Lee C-press, then wet tumble, then hand prime to avoid the inevitable hijinks that would ensue if I threw it down the hatch of a progressive press. Would be constantly stopping and clearing jams. When someone sells a batch of brass that is all the same headstamp (from a PD indoor range, for instance) it's worth paying a little extra for....

i should have known better then to ask about 1 press and only 1 press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    It's a shame, but I have had to size/deprime on a Lee C-press, then wet tumble, then hand prime to avoid the inevitable hijinks that would ensue if I threw it down the hatch of a progressive press. Would be constantly stopping and clearing jams. When someone sells a batch of brass that is all the same headstamp (from a PD indoor range, for instance) it's worth paying a little extra for....
    If the priming system doesn't work on the press, why not fix it? I have very few cartridges that I load that is not comprised of mixed head stamps. I will occasionally reject a case do to bad rim or extractor groove the rest are loaded just fine on a progressive. Rifle or pistol load just fine.

Take care

r1kk1

Well I spoke to soon. After 2-3k rnds on mine, I had my first small primer shell go through my prime station 2 days ago. Scared the **** out of me.

I accept the fact that I need to separate small primed cases, no different then with hand priming.

Same loading session I also had about 10 winchesters that appeared to be crimped pocket, that crushed the primer with no bang. They did cause a jam. Easy to clear, manually pul up on primer arm, loosen the shell plate nut, wiggle the shell plate up and remove the bad rnd. Reseat the plate, and actuate the prime arm and remove any primer on the pin.

I usually remove any shell on the feed ramp and twist the feed tube so no more shells feed, then cycle it and load normally till rnds are out. Give a secind look then start again.

First shell that gets primed from there, just peek down through hole to see if primer anvil is present than proceed as normal.

Im a controls technician, and I accept that you get what you pay for and that there is a certain amount of limitation to what any machine can do. The loadmaster cant remove crimps, or multy task large and small primed shells. I dont think the other brands can either.

Am i attached to my loadmaster, no! But I cast and reload so I can save money to shoot more, same reason I chose the Lee press.

The nice thing is, i can empty the primer tray, back the flare die, seater, factory crimp die out 3 turns, then run the small prime through to deprime and size, hand prime, then reset the dies and remove the sizer die and load them as usual.

The small versus large primer pocket is the #1 PITA with 45acp. I can remember the days before there was SPP 45. Before there was 45gap...

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    If the priming system doesn't work on the press, why not fix it?

Moderator Emeritus

CFE223 tends to leak pretty bad on the auto disk...

That's probably the most trouble-free process within the LM. I still look for the reflection of powder off the inside wall of the brass as it circles around. I have never had it not drop powder. The two brass screws started to loosen once. I noticed loose flakes of Titegroup around the top of the turret. Tightened the brass screws and didn't happen again. I do like to do a spot weight check every once in a while. Been loading tons of 200gr 45acp with 4.8gr of TG lately.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    CFE223 tends to leak pretty bad on the auto disk...
    I used to have issues with H110/W296 leaking badly, I sanded down the body on a couple of them so the fit was tighter and the leaking stopped. the Pro I have (teflon coated) was a tighter fit to begin with.

Boolit Master
    The small versus large primer pocket is the #1 PITA with 45acp. I can remember the days before there was SPP 45. Before there was 45gap...
    I understand there are small and large primer pocket 45s as well as the same issue with 400 Corbon and a few other cartridges over time. A worse case scenario is where I own a 500 Linebaugh. I also load 510 GNR and 50 Bowen Special utilizing the 500 Linebaugh trimmed down to the other lengths. I mark the 510 GNR and the 50 Bowen Special with two distinct marks on the rim to separate them from each other. I have to keep a keen eye on what I'm loading and stop if I feel resistance. I've never set a primer off such as trying to seat a large primer into a small pocket but have caught a couple when my eyes failed me.

Since i I load so many different wildcats based on the 30-30, 405 Winchester and 444 Marlin, I have to keep a sharp eye and a pair of calipers near me. I have a couple pieces of small primer pocket 30-30 somewhere in one of the bins.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    I am still operating 6 virtually stock Load-Masters. Each is setup on on a specific caliber and they continue to perform well. Last month I made a 4500 round production run utilizing 4 different units and I had a total of 4 primer related issues. One inserted sideways and 3 missing primers. The latter was an operator error as I let the primer supply run low.

Recently I have added 4 Pro 1000s to my mix and dedicated them to case perp. keeping my LMs free for reloading. Just for clarification 5 of the 6 LMs I currently operate were purchased used and in each case the previous owners acknowledged that they were having problems with the press. I simply mounted them properly, gave them a good cleaning, adjusted the carrier and installed the current primer assy. and in every case they have performed well. From an investment perspective I have averaged apromimatelly $150.00 for each complete LM...

Based on my experience I would have no problem recommending the LM to anyone who has pervious reloading experience...

Boolit Buddy
    A little off topic, but I have to ask, as it seems that all the progressive press pros are here. I am trying to buy back a Lee 1000 that I sold twenty years ago and I would like to load the 44-40 with it. Is it possible to transform it to this mission? Do you recommend to lube the cases before re sizing? Lee does not list the 1000 nor the Loadmaster in 44-40.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick56 View Post
    A little off topic, but I have to ask, as it seems that all the progressive press pros are here. I am trying to buy back a Lee 1000 that I sold twenty years ago and I would like to load the 44-40 with it. Is it possible to transform it to this mission? Do you recommend to lube the cases before re sizing? Lee does not list the 1000 nor the Loadmaster in 44-40.
    Shell plates are available for 44-40 .. 14L for the Load Master and 14 for the Pro 1000. You may want to look at the current Pro 1000 as it has had some major updates in the last 20 years..

Either press should work well for your application..

Boolit Master
    I though about using a hornady powder dispenser in the priming location on mine to open up another station. I have always uses a classic turret press with the primer tube to deprime, and size my brass so the loadmaster stays clean. I like to hand prime also as a last check of the brass so my priming station on the loadmaster does not get used. I think I could add a bullet feeder to the thing with the extra station. Has worked well for me using it the way I do for several thousand rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beesdad View Post
    Shell plates are available for 44-40 .. 14L for the Load Master and 14 for the Pro 1000. You may want to look at the current Pro 1000 as it has had some major updates in the last 20 years..

Either press should work well for your application..
    Ok, thank you for your advice! I have bought a lot from Titan, but itīs a question of money. Shipping cost a lot and sales tax 24% on the sum is a lot of money for a poor retired ex soldier.

I've tried to read all the posts but I will admit to skipping the ones that just want to argue so if I'm repetitive it's my fault and I apologize.

I recently purchased a LoadMaster about three months ago. The one that I ordered was set up for 38/357 mainly 'cause I didn't need any more dies and I knew a guy who wanted the 38/357 dies so he helped me mitigate the price.

At this time I've used the press to load a little over 1k 38 Specials, about 500 45 ACP and right at 1k 9mm's for my daughter, here's my take on the LoadMaster:

As with any mechanical beast you'd better be willing an able to learn EXACTLY how this thing works. I purposely primed off press until this last week simply to reduce the steepness of my learning curve. I'd heard so many bad things about the priming system I just wasn't sure that I even wanted to use it but I finally broke down and gave it a try. I did have a few issues with primers trying to seat sideways but after some research discovered that the carrier head adjustment is critical on this press. It's easy to adjust and once that's done the priming system run flawlessly.

I actually went to Dillon in Scottsdale a few months ago to "test drive" some of their stuff. I've got a buddy who wears blue undies and always has a glass of blue koolaid in his mitt so I figured I'd give Dillon a try. After watching my buddy use his 650 and have issues then running a 550B at the showroom I've got to say I just wasn't impressed enough to plunk down $2,000 to change over my entire loading bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foto Joe View Post
    I actually went to Dillon in Scottsdale a few months ago to "test drive" some of their stuff. I've got a buddy who wears blue undies and always has a glass of blue koolaid in his mitt so I figured I'd give Dillon a try. After watching my buddy use his 650 and have issues then running a 550B at the showroom I've got to say I just wasn't impressed enough to plunk down $2,000 to change over my entire loading bench.
    I've own a SD and still have the hybrid 450/550. I bought both back in the mid 80s. I don't really know how many rounds the Square Deal (SD) loaded. I had it set up in one cartridge - 45 ACP. I shot in bowling pin leagues and bullseye for quite some time. I bought the 450 to load 44 magnum and 7 TCU to compete in IHMSA. I had a round counter that finally broke and noticed Gunoil has one mounted on a press. The 550 is a very simple machine. I take mine down once a year to bare bones and reassemble it after a thorough cleaning. My round counter broke just shy of a 100k of rounds. It is well into six figures of rounds loaded from .17 caliber to .50 caliber stuff both handgun and rifle. I sent the SD back to Dillon for an overhaul. They sent me back a SDB. It cost me 45 bucks. I then traded the press for an original San Diego Star lubrisizer with quite a few goodies. Over the decades, I have added shell plates, although one shell plate will load quite a few different cartridges within the same family, I have all the buttons, and a few powder funnels. I use a JDS Quick Measure for my rifle and Encore pistol loads. The 550 is boringly repeatable. That is what I expect. Am I impressed? Does it matter? It's a machine that has long paid for itself and I have replaced a handful of primer tube tips and sent back a powder measure body that was delivered by some gorilla who crushed the box and cracked the body since I've owned it. I bought a 2nd complete primer assembly so changing from large to small is a few seconds. I also like that Dillon has kept up with the latest cartridges offering a new shell plate where needed except for the 5.7X28.

Vaquero 44 has probably loaded around as many loads on his LM as I have on the 550. He's a good guy. Beesdad is another one to listen to. Both of these guys can point you to any answers you may have. Lee needs to bring out some new, much needed shell plates. I can't believe and I know they made a 500 S&W shell plate in the past and it's not a current production item. Weird.

I've been to Dillon's showroom numerous times. I've contemplated a new progressive now and again. I love some of the features of the LNL and the versatility of the RCBS 2000. If they come out with the same amount of shell plates for the ProChucker as the 2000, I will add a 7 station RCBS press to my bench. Time will tell.

take care,

r1kk1