RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teflon resin based powder coat (just getting it from the descripition)

teflon resin based powder coat (just getting it from the descripition)

I went on an order these. figure worst case, I will strip my shot gun again and recoat it with these. wonder if it would be any good on boolits.
    http://www.allpowderpaints.com/powde.../bullet-black/

Boolit Grand Master

It may hold up longer than regular spray paint. I use KG GunKote which is a baked on coating. It is an easy to apply coating that is thin and very hard after baking.
    clearance could be an issue on some parts with powder coat, like a bolt or cartridge carrier.
    Duracoat has a spray can of their coating that was released a little while back.

I have done my shotgun right after I got, used hf black. I did not like how it came out. too many places that the pc did not take. thought it was my prep work. but after seeing what is going with my boolits may be the brand.

order some because my supply was getting low. namely from my work on the homebrew pc gun project. I stated my first post backwards any way lol.

the powders came in, had to test them. went to move the bullet black to an hf container, they sent me more then a pound.

the bullet black ("Teflon" resin) bakes at 350 for 10mins. did not spray I end up tumbling it. it works with tumbling, first time I got tumbling to work lol.
    no pic of powder coverage before baking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4B2EA1C-D206-4196-80DC-0D7D675EA6A3_zpsauhuod4s.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	139276

Name:	3ACEF3B8-DB21-42B1-8961-4512E1E69A22_zps2iceaa0y.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	139277

rejects and smash test, sized after baking let them air cooled while I was casting.

Name:	72B00F69-6FA7-45FF-B9CB-C3D9AFB80A04_zpscs7yfm3x.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	139278

just a small lot of keepers.

Name:	0C548510-BED5-4159-98A0-FC67255E74DA_zpsagkritwn.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	139279

have to spray to see how they really are. no much into tumbling.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    What are you local laws on Teflon-coated projectiles?

Most states do not allow them!

ugh, forgot to check the law before hand. oh well, they go into the range lead for smelting and the powder goes for coating metal parts for other things. should be a good protection for receivers and to coat other little projects

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I have seen, TFE-based PC'd stuff is cool. Just not boolits.

You will find a lot of stuff to ESPC.....only limit is your oven size.......that's mine right now!

yeah same here, I have a shotgun receiver I have to repaint. may end up buying an larger oven that has a rotisserie set up. should be able to use the bar from the rotisserie to hang stuff on to bake. may end up like the last oven I bought for pcing, end up in the kitchen for cooking food. that sucker makes a mean pork roast

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    What are you local laws on Teflon-coated projectiles?

Most states do not allow them!
    yeah as they don't want us humans protecting ourselves from those lizard aliens outta the "V" series ay... hahaha

Boolit Mold
    but seriously whats the deal with some states in usa outlawing em why!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thespice View Post
    but seriously whats the deal with some states in usa outlawing em why!!
    The theory is that Teflon coated bullets would be so slippery that they could slide through a Kevlar body armor vest without it stopping the bullet. I guess it works so the Teflon bullets were outlawed.

However, a boolit coated with PC that has Teflon as one of it's ingredients, would be hard to prove. Just don't tell the cops if you have to choot da bad guy that the coating has Teflon in it!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

a little more research, have to say it is like some of virginia's laws. have to read the fine print.
    Virginia state law specifically bans "bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) or a similar product" while committing or attempting to commit a crime
    VA Code 18.2-308.3

Boolit Master

So don't commit a crime with them and you are OK?!
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

§ 18.2-308.3

Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

“Restricted firearm ammunition” applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as “KTW” bullets or “French Arcanes,” or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.
    B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
    looks like I am perfectly safe to run test on the coating.

just want an oven large enough to redo my shotgun barrel with the coating

Boolit Buddy
    “Restricted firearm ammunition” applies to...
    any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores

Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    looks like I am perfectly safe to run test on the coating.

just want an oven large enough to redo my shotgun barrel with the coating
    As I read that, plastic substances coating bullets (other than teflon) are OK provided the core of the bullet is lead or lead alloy.

Boolit Master
    Oregon law is about the same. Ok to have and shoot unless you are committing a crime. If you use them in a crime it adds an additional felony. I have been thinking of trying the stuff myself, but just have not used up enough of the powder I have already to justify buying more. PC goes a long way. I am curious about velocity, pressures, and accuracy with the stuff. Hard to use quickload data with it I imagine. I could see it reducing pressure while increasing velocity. Problem is powder burn rate. Some powders need that pressure to burn properly, and I don't know if this would reduce it to the point you have to increase the charge with those powders.

either way it goes, I should be fine. mainly eat sleep work, cast, coat/lube, load, clean, work on hunting lease, bowl, play with the dogs, and clean brass.

no time to get into trouble, other then with my wife.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well don't get stopped for speeding to the gun range with those bullets they lock you up
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    I personally would never make or even carry any TFE coated boolits, even when NOT comitting a crime!!!!!

Just not worth the potential hassle and legal stuff. Cops and authorities do not like TFE coated boolits.

I can see absolutely no need for them for anything we all do here.

PC works pleanty good for anyone on here.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I personally would never make or even carry any TFE coated boolits, even when NOT comitting a crime!!!!!

Just not worth the potential hassle and legal stuff. Cops and authorities do not like TFE coated boolits.

I can see absolutely no need for them for anything we all do here.

PC works pleanty good for anyone on here.

bangerjim
    EXACTLY! Why take the chance? What I already have works so damn well, why explore another type of coating that MAY result in a legal problem?

With the legal climate we all are in, why take any chances? Sure, if a good shoot turns out to be murder by some legal rat lawyer or commie judge, that's just an additional charge. I doubt what the boolit is coated with would even enter into the trial, but the slim chance is still there.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt