MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Sized my powder coated bullets today

Boolit Buddy

Sized my powder coated bullets today

Since I have had some problems sizing previously, I tried something new today. I sprayed about 1/3 of the bullets with One Shot case lube and then would size one sprayed bullet and then two non sprayed bullets. Seemed to work okay. Probably could just spray all of them. Anyway, no stuck bullets and none real hard to size. I also did something new before coating the bullets. I sized the bullets right after casting them (as soon as they were cool enough to handle) and then again after they were very cool. Twice as much work, but less troubles later. Has anyone ever tried sizing the bullets right away vs. some time later to see if there was any difference in difficulty to size? Also, do the bullets tend to bounce back somewhat bigger after sizing? Just trying to learn more. Seems like I learn something new each time I cast or powder coat or size. Or load for that matter!

Boolit Master
    Bigarm I only size once before PCing them. But if a second sizing would accomplish something that needed doing. I would.
    One of my Lee molds do drop bullets too small for my needs. So I do double coat and bake. So they are made to the dia. I need.

Boolit Master
    If the cast bullet out of the mold is very near to size, I size after powder coating with out any lube with powder coated bullets.

This works fine with the bullets cast in Magma Molds. If lube is required I use the can type with a small amount on my fingers.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

The amount you are sizing the bullet down to increases the amount of force needed also increases the amount of spring back. Also what alloy you are using effects it also lets bhn of 12 to bhn of 22 the harder one will take more to size. If you size right after casting the alloy is not at its natural hardness yet it takes awhile to return to that unless your water dropping them. If your getting stuck bullets something seem amiss to me if your not sizing down a lot I would check for out of round to big or a burr in the die maybe. Also if your dropping large you may want to double size them take them down a little in step one then final size in step two. I have use some lube on my fingers just to make things slick to save some wear and tear on the old arm when I am sizing a large amount of bullets but not because I had to. Good luck and keep at it you get it figured out hope this helps you.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon