Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 Govt. Got Lucky on a auction.

Try this load: 13gr Unique, 565 gr in 30:1, mine is a PJ Creedmoor but any large, soft hunk of lead will work. I shoot it in a Miroku 1885 short hunter which is about the same as your #3. Very mild load but momentum will carry it through anything within at least 120 yards.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    I had one too for a while. It was the worst recoiling rifle I have ever owned. Even with lighter cast loads, my shoulder and cheek hurt after two shots. Too bad, I really liked the looks of the rifle but it was just no fun at all. Maybe someday I will find one in 22 hornet.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Cast Boolits Owner

Excellent purchase JonB! I have one in my #3 collection. I have only shot it with reduced (unique) loads and save the heavy loads for my #1 which has a mercury tube in the butt stock.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

i can absolutely understand complaining about .45-70 recoil IF you don't reload, but other than that there's nothing to whine about. super accurate target and hunting reduced recoil .45-70 "trap door" loads are easy to build and extremely easy on yer shoulder. adding stock weight (if possible) and a Good recoil pad (always possible) really tame the beast further more. my 12yo grandson now has his own .45-70 and shoots it well with mouse phart trail boss loads using the custom 400gn boolits granddad cast for him (he loads his own rounds, under my supervision).

Moderator Emeritus

I really enjoy all this talk about recoil.
    I have loaded some stout 41 Mag cartridges (with the Ranch Dog 255gr RF and shot them in my Marlin 1894S), that make me think to myself, that was a pistol cartridge ??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The best and cheapest need for that rifle is the extension /recoil pad made for the 10-22. It'll make the LOP much better for you and is a simple screw on addition.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    congrats on such a beautious carbine! some 5744 under 400g lead and yer good to go for paper, gongs or big critters. without the nasty recoil.
    rfd, what powder measure of 5744? And what are the ballistics of such a load? Have some but never used yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    rfd, what powder measure of 5744? And what are the ballistics of such a load? Have some but never used yet.
    try 25 grains of 5744 - good accuracy - recoil not too bad - and expect the normal left over unburnt grains of powder in the barrel, won't hurt accuracy at all.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."