Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm tired of the bbq burner....what's the next step?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to do a wind break on mine, but for $40 it seemed hard to go too far wrong

Boolit Buddy
    Just did some lead on the fryer. Holy cow, was that $40 well spent. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier/faster/better than the grill!

Quote Originally Posted by tddeangelo View Post
    Just did some lead on the fryer. Holy cow, was that $40 well spent. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier/faster/better than the grill!
    Got that right! I moved from hot plate to fish fryer. Whole new world.

I did a bunch today and my "windscreen" was just some muffin tins I sometimes use for molds. I have angle iron ingot molds and three of those are leaning against one side to pre-warm that helps cut down the wind also. dcrockette has some nice pots made from tanks and angle iron ingot molds for sale, also makes ladles and some other hand tools for making ingots. There is another fellow that sells ingot molds made from channel both are in swapping and selling section. Have to dig a bit since they are older long running posts.

I like the harbor freight dutch oven but I think the propane tank pots have a greater capacity which is nice for doing big batches of WW's. Curved sides too which probably makes getting the last couple of ladles easier to get out. One thing I can say for a fact, picking up the dutch oven to dump the last couple of ingots worth out is something that has to be done pretty darn quick, even through insulated welding gloves you don't have much time before the heat is too much.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I've found my limiting factor is now my pot.

When I ran some in an old cast iron skillet, I could really put the heat to it, and it was SUPER fast. When I used the old stock pot I've been using, it turned cherry red in about 20 seconds with the gas valve full open, lol. I quickly backed that down and found I need to keep it about 1/4-1/3 open, no more, for that pot. It works well, but slower.

Guess I should look into a propane tank pot. I could really blow through lead with a better pot.

The ingots I cast look far better than previous efforts, as the temps are a bit higher in the melt now, I think. I have about 60lbs of pure lead into ingots, so only 600 more to go!

Boolit Master
    You're on the right track now. I think a propane tank pot is probably the best easiest option for most people.