MCD ProductsInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Gander Mountain, Raleigh NC Is Not Cool At All

Boolit Grand Master

If you were born on the date you said in an earlier post, jcwit, you are probably of a generation that see's no harm in giving out all of your information to anybody that wants it. I just had an elderly lady at a Kiwana's Azalea Sale while discussing the bushes not only give me information on the plants as she was in the garden club but her name, address, directions to her house to look at the azalea's she had in the yard, tell me she lives alone as her husband passed away a number of years ago.

Giving out your information to whoever you please is your prerogative. Businesses demanding it to purchase their products is not a right and I vote with my feet.

If you see no problem with giving out your stuff I'll leave you with this little story: A number of years ago I ended up in Miami over Christmas. As a truck driver there was no freight being shipped but I could have been stuck in a far worse place. I parked the truck, got a cab to Enterprise and rented a car then cruised South Beach and went up to Ft. Lauderdale to go diving. All good.

Several days later I got a call that went something like this:

"Hello, this is "Vera" from Visa is this jonp"?
    "Yes"
    "We saw some unusual activity on your card and are just checking to make sure you made the charges. Do you have a minute"?
    "Sure"
    "On Monday we show a charge of $xxx in Miami, FL at Exxon Mobil for gas"
    "Sounds about right"
    "On Wednesday we show a charge of $xxx in Philadelphia, PA at Home Depot for 5 snowblowers, 2 chainsaws and a weedwacker".
    "Uhh...I don't think so."
    "We thought it was an odd purchase. Can you show you were not in PA so we can start a fraud investigation"?
    "Of course, I'm an OTR Driver, I can copy you a logbook sheet showing me in Florida at the time."
    "That's fine. You won't be liable for the charge".....
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There is enough fat in the federal government that if you rendered it you could wash the world
    Ronald Reagan.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If you were born on the date you said in an earlier post, jcwit, you are probably of a generation that see's no harm in giving out all of your information to anybody that wants it. I just had an elderly lady at a Kiwana's Azalea Sale while discussing the bushes not only give me information on the plants as she was in the garden club but her name, address, directions to her house to look at the azalea's she had in the yard, tell me she lives alone as her husband passed away a number of years ago.

Giving out your information to whoever you please is your prerogative. Businesses demanding it to purchase their products is not a right and I vote with my feet.

If you see no problem with giving out your stuff I'll leave you with this little story: A number of years ago I ended up in Miami over Christmas. As a truck driver there was no freight being shipped but I could have been stuck in a far worse place. I parked the truck, got a cab to Enterprise and rented a car then cruised South Beach and went up to Ft. Lauderdale to go diving. All good.

"Yes"
    "We saw some unusual activity on your card and are just checking to make sure you made the charges. Do you have a minute"?
    "Sure"
    "Sounds about right"
    "On Wednesday we show a charge of $xxx in Philadelphia, PA at Home Depot for 5 snowblowers, 2 chainsaws and a weedwacker".
    "We thought it was an odd purchase. Can you show you were not in PA so we can start a fraud investigation"?
    "Of course, I'm an OTR Driver, I can copy you a logbook sheet showing me in Florida at the time."
    Well no, not really, I do not give out ALL info. Date of Birth? Thousands were born on that date, means little. Zip Code, heck that means little. My name and address is in the phone book, so what, gives little info to anyone, unless they are looking for me, and then here I am.

But then I deal with cash, usually carry in 4 figures. Only credit card I carry is a card I use for gas and PayPal, which is tied to a separate checking acct, most anyone could ever get is $150.00.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

"Yes"
    "Sure"
    "Sounds about right"
    Had a similar call about 6 years ago. Appears someone had the numbers and code from a purchase made previously. Visa immediately issued another card and questioned me about every outstanding charge.
    Until caught, all that's needed is the numbers, to run up a quick fortune in services and merchandise.
    As to info, have you ever filled in your email address for a chance at WINNING? Have you ever filled out a customer survey? You are guaranteed of winning a physical and e mail box full of junk mail.
    When you pay, do you refuse to give your phone # or age and then charge your card?
    At the Dr office do you give your SS #? Do you avoid the SS # question, and give them a medicare card?
    When all records were kept with a pencil and the paper, stored in a file with your name and or customer #, someone had to physically go and retrieve the info. Now it only takes a couple clicks on a laptop by anyone, anywhere in the world, to know your life history.
    Being paranoid, and refusing to give a clerk answers is just making their job as miserable as you feel. You're only dealing with one of them, while they deal with thousands of hard cases like you. in a day. The info they are required to obtain for whatever reason isn't classified info. It just adds a click to a counter, with only statistical info, in some bean counters numbers.
    If big Bro wanted to know anything about you, they already have a million sources, and at a click, they can tell how many tooth brushes you have and what color. They can track you where ever you go.
    Remember the mad cow disease scare? They could track every cow from a farm and all their offspring. Cows don't even have a SS #.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    What's he say?
    You know, for an old man, you sure do like to play games that a 5 year old would play.

Go on ignoring me. I try to have a civil conversation, and you play childish games.

Whatever you say texaswoodworker, I guess, didn't bother to click the read option, no longer worth my time or to concern myself with it.

mold maker pretty much has it nailed folks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Whatever you say texaswoodworker, I guess, didn't bother to click the read option, no longer worth my time or to concern myself with it.
    And my point is proven.
    Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-26-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Master

And he just keeps spewing forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    And he just keeps spewing forth.
    Spewing just what?

Just what do you mean, am I not allowed to post?

Do you have a problem with me?

The ignore option is available to you as well as everyone else, is it not?

Are you stalking me?