MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    It's Texas tea liquid,I got it about 6 months ago.I'm not worried about the colour,the coating works very well and comes out of the bottle black with gold speck,just wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the process.If the colour is the only problem I have to deal with using your product I'm not worried in the least. Pat

Boolit Master
    Just checked,it's got Texas Tea on the label,just a bit more on the coating,I've been sizing 32/40 boolits down from .322 to .316 to use in my 303's,the boolits are tripled coated as they are loverin style boolits with lots of grooves and the coating makes it easy with one pass through a sizer,if I bake the first coat for 15 mins instead of 12 the coating sticks like baby poo to a blanket. Pat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    It's Texas tea liquid,I got it about 6 months ago.I'm not worried about the colour,the coating works very well and comes out of the bottle black with gold speck,just wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the process.If the colour is the only problem I have to deal with using your product I'm not worried in the least. Pat

Pat 303,
    I suspect, that it may be simply a mixing problem.
    The stuff does settle well, and possibly in layers, it takes an effort to re-suspend all contents.
    Depending on how much you have left in bottle, simply put into it some Glass marbles or similar, to act as mixing aid like in aerosol cans.
    Tighten lid, and mix well.
    Let us know how it ends up.
    With Texas Tea powdered system, settling of concentrate is eliminated, as you can make up amounts as required and there should be no separation of components in the powders, like you may get with solvent concentrates.
    You need to keep in mind, that solvent based concentrates are low viscosity systems, and, therefore settling will occur at various rates, and depending on coloured systems.

Boolit Master
    The gold specs do sink to the bottom,I'm not worried,the coating does everything you claim it does,that is a rare thing these days. Pat

Joe! I'm out of coating! Need some Candy Apple and something Bright Green please. PM details and I get it done.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Pre-warming spacers on top of ovens

Experimental powders.

Mixed Experimental powders and coating buckets.

Most of the powders are going to get thrown out. They all work. But some a bloody horrible colours.
    Dark Olives, turd browns etc etc. I'm running out of room.
    The coating buckets get washed with MEK and reused. The pop top bottles get tipped out and thrown in the recycle bin.
    I will upload 2 new smash vids later on.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    New clearer videos of smashing.

The Bronze one is a lee 200gn RNFP and was coated once then sized. this was due to the base being a flat base and had flashing on it.
    2 more coats were applied for the Bronze 530.

These have been pushed at 1470fps out of my Marlin 1894 44 Mag with 13.5gn of W540 (HS6) with Large rifle primers.

http://vid193.photobucket.com/albums...406_161635.mp4
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have just tested something.

Coating Lee 105 SWC 2 times, with 1ML per pound. The lube grooves are not really coated, but I think you guys said that it did not matter at all.
    The 2nd coat was baked at 220 celcius for an hour, and dumped into tap cold water. They were towel dried and sized immediately to .357.

I will reload some later this week to try. I need to let them cure at least 24 hours, and ideally 48 hours, so I'll shoot those at the end of the week I guess.
    I have 150 or so, I really hope that they don't lead. I'll start with 50 or so, so I don't have to pull an awful lot if they lead.

The color (was brown copper) is now like a burnt caramel copper, but they still look good, and totally pass the smash test.

They just dried on top of the oven 10 minutes before baking, both times. Works #1.

Will report once I have tested those. Still looking for a 9mm COWW load that doesnt lead. Heat treating and a larger mold is kind of my last try. If that doesnt work, I'll try a 358 sizer, and if that doesnt work, I'm out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Have a question about the smash test: how many time are you guy striking the bullet? My coating is intact after 3 - 4 strikes. After that it will begin to flake off when the bullet is almost completely flat.

I'm using 20 grams of coating to 100 ml of acetone and baking at 400 for 11 minutes. Temps are verified with a thermometer inside the oven. I also let the bullets dry for 30 mins before I put them in the oven. What would be causing my failures?
    I flattened mine pretty good, coating appears intact. I use the liquid, 5-7-1, so not sure how that translates to the dry. I use a fan to dry, about 10m, then bake for 10, then cool in front of the fan, recoat, dry again, bake. Cheap toaster oven until I can find something better.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    I have just tested something.

Coating Lee 105 SWC 2 times, with 1ML per pound. The lube grooves are not really coated, but I think you guys said that it did not matter at all.
    The 2nd coat was baked at 220 celcius for an hour, and dumped into tap cold water. They were towel dried and sized immediately to .357.

I will reload some later this week to try. I need to let them cure at least 24 hours, and ideally 48 hours, so I'll shoot those at the end of the week I guess.
    I have 150 or so, I really hope that they don't lead. I'll start with 50 or so, so I don't have to pull an awful lot if they lead.

The color (was brown copper) is now like a burnt caramel copper, but they still look good, and totally pass the smash test.

They just dried on top of the oven 10 minutes before baking, both times. Works #1.

Will report once I have tested those. Still looking for a 9mm COWW load that doesnt lead. Heat treating and a larger mold is kind of my last try. If that doesn't work, I'll try a 358 sizer, and if that doesnt work, I'm out I guess.
    One comment I will make is you can get leading with hard lead. Leading in the main is caused by gas cutting either because the bullet doesn't seal the bore due to being to small in diameter or the bullet will not obuterate at the base due to the lead being to hard. Too, lube quality can cause leading often because it is to hard and doesn't liquefy and seal the bore allowing gas to pass by.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Well they lead air cooled so we will try heat treated.
    if they still lead ill try water drop after regular bake.
    if they still lead ill try 358 same thing
    if they still lead im selling all my lead and pistols and screw this....

Quitter.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Softoff. 😂

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Trevor , mate if those sample colour powders are okay mate don't chuck em out put in a box and I will pay the freight to send them to me in South Australia .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Trevor , mate if those sample colour powders are okay mate don't chuck em out put in a box and I will pay the freight to send them to me in South Australia .

Regards Paul .
    Sorry. I can't. Not allowed.
    The manufacturer states that all experimental samples must be destroyed or disposed of.
    Samples are not to be used for any purpose other than testing to verify they are "fit for purpose".
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Trevor , no worry's mate I understand I just hate to see such a great product wasted I guess I will just keep using my D.D.Red and Texas Tea powders as they do make such pretty boolits .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master
    I'm going to mix a few together and see what colour comes out.
    The Gunmetal Grey mixed with Gold 1035 should be interesting.......
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    gold 1035 is my favorite. All my commercial stuff gets it.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

You probably checked this but have you ever loaded a bullet then pulled it to see is you are scrapping the paint off the bullets when you seat them. I did until I opened up my belling a bit more than I had it set at and the problem solved some leading I was getting. Any exposed lead on the driving bands has the potential to lead your bore.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    What ever happened to gateway?

Kinda difficult to get much computer time anymore when you are putting in 10-12 hour days in the shop, plus the kids stuff on top of that!!!!!
    Last edited by Gateway Bullets; 04-08-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    Gatewaybullets.com