Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tested Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant

Boolit Grand Master

Tested Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant

Tested new Lee mould yesterday. (R) 356-120-TC and Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant.
    Scrubbed mould with acetone and toothbrush, then scrubbed with dawn and hot water, let dry. Worked over all rough edges. Had Liquid Wrench Dry Lube 4 oz. dropper bottle, cheaper than big spray can and I planned on applying it with a Q-Tip. Gave the cleaned and deburred mould top, cavities, top and underside of sprue two coats of lube, letting each dry.
    Lubed and heated mould, started casting. The stuff doesn't contaminate the cavities!!!
    As soon as I had it up to casting temperature, the boolits would just drop out , no tapping , no sticking ...it kind of scared me how they just fell out when I opended the mould!
    Helps keep smears from underside of sprue plate and top of blocks , you still have to wait for sprue to harden, which I at times rush. And help keeps lead from sticking to top of sprue plate especially around the holes. Any smears come right off with a coarse rag or steel wool. Had no galling problems.
    Going to start using this on all my moulds, seems to work. I even got some around the sprue plate screw , it seemed to lubricate it without contaminating the cavities .
    I cast about 200, took a short break , then used the dry lube on the warm mould before I resumed casting for another 300.
    It contains polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) , don't know how it works for rust protection, but it gets along just fine with melted boollit alloy. I like it!
    Also like these new Lee moulds, screw didn't loosen but if it does I know how to fix it.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-06-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Did you put it in the cavities? I thought for sure that you would have some really ragged boolits if so. Keep us informed if you dont have any problems as time goes on. Thx for ite info thus far though.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, two coats were applied to the cavities before starting to cast and after the break , another two coats to the warm (not Hot) cavities were applied before starting again . I only got the 4 oz. bottle because I expected contamination. Could not find any Kroil locally to try , but another poster mentioned the dry lube and it works.
    I've never had boolits fall from the mould this easily and it does keep the galling/smearing down.
    I have another new mould Lee C358-158-SWC that's going to get treated and tested , hopefully, next weekend...
    This stuff is looking good...makes casting go faster and easier. Just love the way the boolits hop out of the mould all by themselves!
    Gary

Boolit Master
    That would be nice. I have a couple lee molds that tend to stick. I may have to give it a try. Thx

Boolit Master

This sounds like it might be worth a try.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by twc1964 View Post
    That would be nice. I have a couple lee molds that tend to stick. I may have to give it a try. Thx
    Same here. Just ordered 2 of the 4 oz. bottles:
    http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-...uid+Wrench+dry
    Free shipping!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just another case in point that lube and grease and oil in molds do NOT cause wrinkles! Cold molds and cold lead cause wrinkles.

Scrubbing the dickens out of a mold is a waste of time from what I have found. I go directly to casting lead after using my molds for hot melt glue boolits and using PAN (GREASE!!) as a cavity lube/release agent.

Perfect lead boolits........if the mold is heated to FULL casting temp on a hotplate. Not dipping the edge in the lead pot or setting it on top of the pot.

95% of my over 2.5 dozen Lee molds drop boolits from the cavities effortlessly. The dry lube would probably only imporlve that. I will try it. Thanks for suggestiong it.

banger-j

Boolit Master
    PTFE. Teflon, yes?

Edit: Yep, that's it.

Boolit Master
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_fume_fever

Be safe.

Edit:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1829&aid=2874

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/...g-Dangers.html

Ya'll should read before you start heating stuff over 400 degrees. Might not hurt ya, but it also might cripple ya. MSD sheets serve a purpose. Or not.
    Last edited by scottfire1957; 04-07-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Here's one from folks that don't like flourides.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-cont...fects.lung.htm

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Experimentation is fun, fulfilling and sometimes fruitful. (How's that for alliteration?)

PTFE has been around since before me, so, it's old. It has also been known to be toxic under high heat for almost that long.

Do what ya want. Darwin is always looking.

Boolit Grand Master

I won't use the stuff solely because of how it smells. Used to use it at work for burner linkages. In a small room it will about knock you over. It will also leave a white haze on anything it touches. This is obviously the lubricant. Just be wary of overspray.

Banned

scottfire is talking about creating fluorine gas.
    you know,, the stuff the Geneva convention was worried about in ww-1.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast 100% outside using Mother Nature's ventillation system ( and my evap cooler), so any fumes of any kind are a mute point to me specifically. Those of you that cast in a man-cave or small sealed building might want to use caution?

Boolit Grand Master

If the exploding gunpowder, molten lead , flux fumes , bullet lube smoke and lead fumes weren't enough to kill you , the PTFE will! Is there any aspect of casting boolits that will not devastate the human body?
    Teflon cooking pans....had no idea they were killing me as I cooked a meal!
    I'm beginning to think everything in life is frought with danger.
    Oh well, I've been casting way too long to stop now, so I'm just going to keep on keepin on.
    And add PTFE to that long list of things out there that can kill me!
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If the exploding gunpowder, molten lead , flux fumes , bullet lube smoke and lead fumes weren't enough to kill you , the PTFE will! Is there any aspect of casting boolits that will not devastate the human body?
    Teflon cooking pans....had no idea they were killing me as I cooked a meal!
    I'm beginning to think everything in life is frought with danger.
    Oh well, I've been casting way too long to stop now, so I'm just going to keep on keepin on.
    And add PTFE to that long list of things out there that can kill me!
    Gary
    Don't forget snakes, spiders, cars, airplanes, motorcycles, knives, ISIS, tigers, mountain lions, falling in the shower...... well.................just about anything..........if used wrong. Or you are REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY unlucky!

banger

Vendor Sponsor

So I have a Question .. If nothing will stick to Teflon ...how do they get the Teflon to stick to the pan
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Details, details.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Grand Master

If you haven't heard of the "Teflon Flu" then I guess you live under a rock. Teflon is a lot more harmful then most of the other casting related hazards. It's melting point is over 600 degrees. I'm not convinced using it on molds will be a danger. After all your pots and pans are subjected to high temps every time you put a flame under them. The coating does degrade over the years. But it doesn't pose that much of a danger.