MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to be a dumb ____.

Boolit Buddy

I have to be a dumb ____.

I have ruined at least one sizing die by getting a bullet stuck in it and another I have a bullet stuck in it, but haven't tried to get it out because was not sure how to do it. Today I finished another project (a cabinet to hold my dies on Dillon tool heads) and decided to try to finish sizing my .357 bullets. These bullets I cast and then powder coated with John Deere green. The last batch I coated I either cooked too long or the parchment paper was used once too often as the parchment paper just crumbled and the bullets turned a much darker green almost brown color. Those darker ones were harder to size and sure enough I got one stuck. Since this was a Lee sizing die (.358 and brand new) I decided to try using my drill press to drill out the bullet. I did it and am not sure whether I hurt the die or not, but continued on sizing the rest of the bullets. This time I sprayed the inside of the sizing die with One Shot every once in a while. It said on the can that it does not harm primers or powder, so thought why not try. It did help, but the dark ones were still difficult and some lead was shaved off some of them. I kept these bullets separate. Should I clean them with something or will they be okay with the little One Shot that may be on them? I probably should also clean up the inside of the die with sandpaper or something. How does one do that? Finally, what the heck am I doing wrong to keep getting bullets stuck? At first I had the die screwed too far in but since have not screwed in further in than the bottom of the nut on the Rockchucker Supreme. I don't think I can go much higher but maybe? Any ideas you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Boolit Master
    You need to lube the boolits with something. Straight dry if too large can get you stuck. I lube some up and then every 20 or so I just put another one through. Others have used dish soap and I've used just a touch of slick 50 on my fingers as I size them the small transfer is there on each boolit.

Moderator Emeritus

sounds like your Lee die is rough inside. I'd polish it with a small dowel and some 400 grit sand paper...then maybe some 600...then some flitz or automotive polishing compound.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have a push thru Lee die to size some bullets for paper patching. It sized exactly ONE bullet and after that no matter what I did it would not let another bullet pass thru. Ordered a Corbin die and it's slick, no trouble at all.

Boolit Master

I did the same thing with .452 Lee push through. Just took a pin punch the right size and a one pound hammer and knocked it out. Flattened the tip of the Lee 452-200-RF but the boolit came out.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Vendor Sponsor

If you get one stuck just melt the bullet out with a torch or drop on hot plate on a pan to catch the melted lead
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If you get one stuck just melt the bullet out with a torch or drop on hot plate on a pan to catch the melted lead
    DUH !!!
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

If you use any kind of lube to get your boolits thru the sizer remember you need to remove it before you powder coat.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

What JonB said about polishing, etc. Be careful and go slow, though. I don't think Lee really hardens their dies, so they're kinda soft. Split the dowel and slip the paper in and spin it with a drill. AND lots of oil.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I'd ask if you were fully curing the powdercoat, but you indicated you were and then some...By chance, are you short-stroking the press? I did it a couple of times on purpose, fed one boolit partially through the die, but not to the point where I felt the resistance go away, then sized another immediately behind it and it required more effort than usual to push both through. Just out of curiosity, what do your boolits measure prior to sizing? 2 or 3 thousandths should be barely noticeable, 5 or more and you may run into problems. Just a couple of things to look at; hope it works out for ya!
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "

Boolit Grand Master

I roll the boolits on the RCBS lube pad using RCBS case lube. The new Lee dies are rough inside so polish it as stated.
    One can also put the die in the lead pot to melt the stuck boolit.

Boolit Man
    Sounds to me like your boolits are too big BEFORE you PC'd or maybe they were OK to begin with and began to slump in the oven. The only time I have had boolits stick was after they started to melt, but before they were ruined totally, they got fat bottoms and would not go through the sizer. try sizing a few before you coat them. A couple of thousandths coating should not make the boolit hard to push through the sizing die.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B-101ABN View Post
    Sounds to me like your boolits are too big BEFORE you PC'd or maybe they were OK to begin with and began to slump in the oven. The only time I have had boolits stick was after they started to melt, but before they were ruined totally, they got fat bottoms and would not go through the sizer. try sizing a few before you coat them. A couple of thousandths coating should not make the boolit hard to push through the sizing die.
    I always size before and after coating. It is after coating that I have the problems. I am coating at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Does this sound right? I have an oven thermometer in the oven with the bullets. If I am cooking too long I can do less time or if too hot, lower temperature, but I thought this what was recommended.

I think I've been there and did that... two days ago! My red 9mm boolits came out of the oven and I tried sizing them as soon as they cooled down and I had a really hard time getting them through the sizer when normally, they just slide through with the slightest resistance. Then I noticed I was shaving rings off the lead!

I ran back out into the back yard where I had just put a new batch of boolits in the oven and sure enough, I had bumped the temperature setting on the toaster oven while I was setting the timer and found that it was at the maximum setting: Broil.

I rescued the other bullets, but the first batch was "slumped" ever so slightly, mostly just a tiny bit shorter and fatter. Back into the casting pot they went. Fortunately it was only about 50 bullets. I usually put over 125 on a tray.

Check your temperature settings each time you insert a tray.

I normally run it at 350 for 15 minutes. Right at around 400F, parchment paper starts to get brown and crunchy pretty quick.

Measure your unsized coated bullets, both the length and diameter. Compare that with a cast but uncoated bullet. If it's shorter, it has obviously slumped and should go back into the casting pot.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 03-31-2015 at 02:01 PM.

If your using Smoke's powder then you are baking too long. 400 for 10 minutes is sufficient. Try a few at this temp if you want to make sure.

Sizing before should make sizing after coating very easy.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Vendor Sponsor

Also check your ACTUAL oven temp again .. no more that 400 degrees and 15 Minutes at Actual 400 temp

I preheat my oven (found it took 8 minutes get to 400) While oven is preheating I Dry tumble my bullets Stand up on trays then put in oven for 15 Minutes .. Since do it that way I have not had a bad batch of bullets .. Been thru several Lbs of powder and many colors
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like well done bullets ,I do mine in HF red 400 for 25-30 min 5 minutes longer and I have a hot spot that makes for fat bullets (JUNK).No way will they size in that condition (I tried) !

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the ideas. I will try to polish the die, but I am not sure I am capable of doing that correctly. I will also lower the temperature of the oven or cook for less time and see if that helps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I have one die with a bullet still stuck in it, so I will try melting the lead out.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Get a stuck boolit out by simply (using a drill press and vice!) step drill the base until you are left with about a 1/16" ring of lead and then it will easily come out.

Lead will NOT ruin a hardened die. Cobbling around on it and heating it up will!

banger-j